Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

Remove this Banner Ad

NV735.gif

The Bund - Shanghai, PRC.

the tallest building on the right with the hole in it, is that new? I dont remember seeing that in 06

the tallest building on the right with the hole in it, is that new? I dont remember seeing that in 06

The bottle opener? Yeah, it's reasonably new.

I think there are a few buildings that have been added since that photo was taken.

Yes it is, they finished that one in 08/09 I believe. It's called "the bottle opener".

This was a pic from 2010, the bund looks a bit different now with the Shanghai tower (which I call the large car park) nearly finished.

Yes it is, they finished that one in 08/09 I believe. It's called "the bottle opener".

This was a pic from 2010, the bund looks a bit different now with the Shanghai tower (which I call the large car park) nearly finished.

its just a amazing city, I spent a week there. would love to go back and actually soak it it a bit more

its just a amazing city, I spent a week there. would love to go back and actually soak it it a bit more

Shanghai is something special alright, really modern for a Chinese city and its incredibly convenient to get around (subways cheap, taxi as well).

It's also changed quite a bit since 06' .. I usually find it hard to leave whenever I plan on heading back home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a long time mountain biker. I took this iPhone pic during today's ride on the trails near home (Warrandyte).

For me riding is a non prescription antidepressant. Side effects have included fitness, weight loss, and a love of the outdoors.

1557464_767672236585570_3930732067898894806_n.jpg

Last edited:
What are the thoughts on the Pies tonight? Wife and I might be going back to Oz this year or early next, so keep the fingers crossed!!

If there is anything I hate more than losing to Hawthorn, Geelong, or Fremantle, it is the intermittent and preventable losses we have against North Melbourne :mad:

Some games come to mind that I mentioned to Magpie Girl, being round 7 2001, rounds 4 and 15 2005, round 5 2008, round 21 2012, and round 23 2013. Those games we had control of, and we gave ascendancy back. Important thing is, if we get in front, we bury those b******s!!

I tell you who annoys me most, and that is Brad Scott coming out defending Brent Harvey, how he is such a stalwart and courageous player yadda yadda. Like listening to someone read from the Bible. Preach to someone else. The bloke piggy backed a premiership in 1999, and the only reason he has stuck around, is they could not find anyone better than this midget!!

Call out to la bamba los lobos on joining the 200 club with all his pre-season games. Life membership of the AFL I believe? Due to play his 200th regular season match in round 22, and hopefully by then we have surprised this rabble who have written the pies off.

I better not tip this one, because last time I did I was eating my words, but I just hope we do the job on these pr***s.

Carn Pies, do it for the traveling band of fans!!

Floreat Pica

alice and I.jpg

P.S. This is me and my wife a few weeks back :D

I have seen communities flanking railway lines in Thailand and the Philippines, but never anything like this where lodgings are so close to the line that awnings have to be removed when a train passes and baskets of food sit directly under the train. Great video!

One of the joys of being abroad is discovering stuff that you think "Wow, this would be a hit back home!"

I've had two such experiences recently. The one I'm going to introduce you to now is the In-n-out burger joint.

One of my colleagues introduced me to it last week. I was a bit confused - he's a classy bloke, he's got access to a generous expense account, what's he doing taking me to a burger joint? Well the moment I entered the store I was hooked. These guys have nailed it.

But first, let's take a step back and recap a great moment in burger history ...

(Credit: Falling Down. Great movie!)

... we've all been there before. Well, maybe not to that extent. Unless you're stopping by to pick up a burger after a bad Collingwood loss. Maybe your reaction is not that extreme. Or maybe it is.

Anyway, you take my point - the burger joint has become a purely functional experience. The objective is to insert food into the stomach cavity, bypassing the taste buds, with minimum fuss. And there is all kinds if marketing bling choice hoopla to try to distract you from the guilt of neglecting your body.

It reminds me of another great moment in burger history. This one took place at the Clayton Road McDonalds circa 1993. One of my Uni buddies ordered a McFeast. The server mentioned "sorry sir, there'll be a five minute wait on your McFeast, is that OK?" to which my buddy responded dryly - "If I was prepared to wait five minutes do you think I'd be eating here?"

Bingo!

In-n-out burger have gone back to basics.

There are four food items on the menu.

One of the items is something called a "Hamburger". It has a nice bun. It has a tasty burger patty. It has strips of crisp lettuce. It has a slice of fresh tomato. It optionally has fresh onion. And when one of these babies is delivered to you it - get this - it looks just like the picture!

The second item is a thing called a "cheeseburger". See item 1 but add cheese.

The third item gets a bit exotic - stay with me here - it's called a "double double". See "Cheeseburger", but with an extra beef patty and an extra slice of cheese.

And item 4 closes out the menu with these things called "French Fries".

*** That's it ***

No chicken stuff or fish stuff or apple pie or sundaes or muffins or breakfast stuff or plastic kids toy rubbish or flame grilled angus fancy mucky toop toop blue cheese nonsense.

In-n-out burger just keeps it simple with the four items. And further, they use fresh ingredients - it tastes different! They pay their staff more than the other burger joints to make sure they get the best staff. The staff are friendly and they do this thing called "smiling".

These In-n-out burger joints have nailed it!

Huxtaburger in Smith St before a game...yum!

Ah.....hello? :p

So 76woodenspooners asked me to drop a postcard here......

I guess my story then :D

I am from Melbourne. Went to school in Lalor, grew up in Mill Park, which is out Epping way on the north side of town. I went to college at Monash University, and completed a Bachelor of Biomedical Science.

The important part regarding the footy is, my grandfather brought me into the Collingwood family, and had my in a spicer's jumper my mom wore, from about two years old. My Uncle is a big fan, sucks the VBs of a weekend, and is terrible with emotional outbursts like me :rolleyes:

Mom and I went to games in Oz, the last being round 13 2009 against the Dockers. Always watched games with her and she was a really emotional person as well. Loved Daisy before he left for the Baggers, but loves Heppell now because he is a dead ringer for Daisy! o_O

Mom loved Pebbles in his hay day too, and always wanted to shag the bloke (hope I can say that on here).

I worked for Spotless at the MCG since the Saints Qualifying Final of 2009, and never missed a Collingwood game, whether I was working there or not. I was there for the 2010 draw and replay, and lived the emotional highs and lows. I did a victory lap when Clokey kicked one late on against the Saints in the draw, and I was crowd surfing when we won the replay, and Steele boots kicked the sealer with two minutes to go. I also saw the 2011 loss, and have been shattered since.

I moved here for love, to San Antonio TX, and I only decided to stay when I saw my now wife needed me more than Australia did. My wife is right into anything English or Australian, and loves to ask about the footy simply because on the broadcasts, whether radio or television replays, my wife can hear the Aussie accents.

I intend on going back to College here, perhaps to apply my mathematical capabilities to a Biomedical Engineering field. Until then, I have opportunities here to work in the Health and Science centre or a Biomedical research facilities, which are abundant in San Antonio.

I sat up the first week of the NAB for the Cats game, and ever since, and I was so wrapped with the boys in Sydney. I usually get the radio broadcast from triple MMM or SEN, and downloaded the channel seven replay from aussierul.es.

I love writing about footy, or any sport in general, and enjoy posting my thoughts on the games and the players. I have evolved from a pessimistic to a realist, who is circumspect and slightly optimistic about where the club is going. When I was a young bloke, I wanted to be a commentator like Rexy, Bristle and Cometti, but never took a path in the media. Would love an opportunity to write impartially about the AFL and all its constituents.

That is it from me, thanks 76woodenspooner, and everyone take care!

Regards,

Jim
I also spent a week in San Antonio for conference. They put on a big breast cancer symposium each year.

Unusual place. The divide between the haves and have nots is sooo stark.

We saw a Spurs v Hawks game. The Americans DO entertainment. Not like here at half time when you're just waiting for the third.

Do you ever go out to the San Marco shopping place? That was amazing for good buys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back