Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. Might depend on who is gone in the top 4, and don't the 9ers have a bucketload of picks as well? The would probably look at loading up on a Watkins type to help Kaep out. We really need more picks, so could see us looking at it.

videos inside too...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/d...ds-coliseum-city-project?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Dubai prince involved in Oakland's Coliseum City project

prince-of-dubai.jpg

Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, 31, is the prince of Dubai, next in line to rule the emirate.

more on coliseum

Oakland mayor Jean Quan expects some tangible progress on the Raiders stadium search by this summer, this fall at the latest.

She also said that prince of Dubai has gotten involved. In a Thursday interview with 95.7 FM that discussed all three Oakland-based professional sports teams, Quan said that Colony Capital has “partnered literally with the prince of Dubai, who is next in line to lead Dubai. They have capital.”

The prince of Dubai is Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, a 31-year old who is next in line to rule the emirate, which is part of the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East. Dubai has immensely profitable oil reserves, and the royal family ranks among the wealthiest in the world.

It was previously known that Colony Capital, which is owned in part by the state of Qatar, had partnered with Hayah Holdings, an investment company based in Dubai, to develop a proposed Coliseum City project in Oakland that could house from one to three sports venues in addition to hotels and retail establishments.

“They are in negotiations with the Raiders about their stadium and to fill out the rest of their economic development plan,” Quan said. “I expect that by the end of summer, we’ll have some results.”

Raiders owner Mark Davis has been emphatic about his desire to stay in Oakland, but has become jaded by unfulfilled promises of progress.

“(Oakland mayor Jean Quan) stated publicly that she wanted to have a deal done by the end of last football season,” Davis said last month at the NFL owners meetings. “That came and went. Now she’s talking about this summer. We’ll see how that goes, but we’re trying. We’re really trying."

Quan inferred that the Raiders could be in pole position regarding the Coliseum City project, and that decisions made regarding a football stadium could impact the Athletics baseball team.

“Once the Raiders and the investors know what they’re going to do and where they’re going to place the stadium, that leaves other options for the A’s. The A’s will have to make a decision sooner or later. … If the Raiders are done first, the question falls to how many more stadiums (will there be) and where do you place them, the hotels and the retail.”

history
InjuryYear
Torn ligaments in ankle2013
X-rays on left shoulder; ear injury2012
Lisfranc surgery; lingering throwing shoulder injury; MRI on hip2011
Inflamed bursa sac in knee; rib injury2010
Dislocated left shoulder; ankle injury2009
Torn MCL2008
Dislocated left shoulder; concussion; ankle; hip and lower back injuries2007
One of the most battered field generals of the past decade, Schaub has accumulated serious foot, ankle, knee, shoulder, rib and head injuries. He even lost a piece of his ear on a devastating hit in 2012.
Successful pro quarterbacks don't turn stale over time. The fall is sudden and steep.
Like a punchdrunk boxer who still sees openings but can no longer exploit the sucker for a left hook, shellshocked signal-callers ultimately suffer from that split-second when they stop pulling the trigger on an open window.

Matt's a bit banged up.

Kerry Collins
Jason Campbell
Kyle Boller
Bruce Gradkowski
Charlie Frye
Trent Edwards
Matt Leinart
Carson Palmer
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Matt Schaub

Enough is enough, man. It's like we keep trying for that Plunkett/Gannon retread lightning strikes twice thing.

We've signed like a dozen of these retread types since Plunkett/Gannon and none of them eventuated. Madness to keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

Meanwhile, we drafted Russell top of the 1st. And that's it. And passed up many good QBs in the first. We can't stay gun shy anymore. Not on just one failure. Plus now we're protected with the rookie cap.

We gotta take QB top of the first.

MANZIEL CRITICIZED TEAM MAY PASS ON HIM

It sent a chill down the collective spine of many Oakland Raiders fans to see the team come away from their two-day meet and greet with Texas A&M star Johnny Manziel saying they were, “very impressed.” Johnny Football has been a fixture of rumors linking him to the Raiders for months now. Pundits and bloggers have written extensively about Oakland taking him with the fifth pick in next month’s draft– some glowingly, and others with a very appropriate note of dread. Hearing head coach Dennis Allen and GM Reggie McKenzie’s excited impressions of Manziel after their two-day session left many Raider fans with a hollow feeling in the pit of their stomach.

But apparently, all is not lost. There is perhaps a ray of hope. Raiders’ Beat writer Vic Tafur recently penned an article that casts a lot of doubt that Oakland will take the A&M star when they’re on the clock. Further, Tafur cited sources within the Raiders organization who directly compared Manziel to current Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor – and it wasn’t necessarily a flattering comparison. The crux of the criticism is that Manziel is mostly reactive, finding open receivers and throwing to them at the last moment instead of correctly executing a planned play.

And given the fact that Pryor is very likely on his way out of town sooner rather than later — he almost certainly will not be on the roster when training camp opens — it doesn’t bode well for Manziel’s chances of coming to the Bay Area. Many Raiders fans will likely breathe a big sigh of relief at the declining likelihood of Manziel joining the team.

The Raiders simply cannot afford to miss with their first round pick in this year’s draft. Too much is at stake for Allen, McKenzie and the Raiders’ franchise as a whole. Manziel is an exciting young player, and one who will likely be able to put butts into those stadium seats, but is he the right fit for Oakland? Will he make the team better? The answer to those questions has to be a resounding no and no. If Tafur is right — and many of us hope and pray that he is — the Raiders have woken up to the fact that selecting Manziel would be as bad of a fit for the team as Terrelle Pryor. They need to take somebody who can help the team with that fifth pick.

Just thinking a little more now. It's possible Schaub is the ultimate masterstroke smokescreen. Attaining him has most people thinking "no way do the raiders draft a qb in the top 5, especially not manziel, he's no fit, and wont work behind schaub, etc"

But that's exactly why. Manziel is a true clubhouse leader. Not just on the field, but a spiritual leader. Like a road warrior type on and off the field that not only all the teammates follow and respect, but the entire club. Manziel's personality and sphere of control as big as Texas itself. He is like a General George Patton.

The Raiders need him. Mark Davis and Dennis Allen more than anyone else.

Schaub got the same fake guarantee that Flynn got from Allen. Schaub's contract/dollars indicative he can be let go without costing us much. Manziel is coming. Schaub is just there to offer a bar for Manziel to beat out...like Pryor was given Flynn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested in your views against him......
If we were just about any other team in the NFL it may not be as big a risk to take him. Our first rd drafting in recent years is pretty deplorable let's face it. We need to take a sure fire, least risk available player at 5, or trade down for more picks. Now we have Schaub and mcgloin to get more practise reps and learn behind him I think we fill other holes this year. Sure, if in the 3rd+ we see a good project QB, take the punt. Then, look at next year if not to see what come from that QB class. Manziel may go on to be a hall of famer, but I see enough red flags to say the Raiders cannot afford another QB bust opportunity, or for that matter, a first round bust.

If we were just about any other team in the NFL it may not be as big a risk to take him. Our first rd drafting in recent years is pretty deplorable let's face it. We need to take a sure fire, least risk available player at 5, or trade down for more picks. Now we have Schaub and mcgloin to get more practise reps and learn behind him I think we fill other holes this year. Sure, if in the 3rd+ we see a good project QB, take the punt. Then, look at next year if not to see what come from that QB class. Manziel may go on to be a hall of famer, but I see enough red flags to say the Raiders cannot afford another QB bust opportunity, or for that matter, a first round bust.

Cool. It's the most sensible decision and the most likely. It's pretty clear we want to win now and 6-8 wins seems pretty gettable, especially if we draft an impact player like Watkins.

Yeah and what happens when not if schaub sucks or gets injured again? Mcgloin is not an answer. Also there's a bigger picture of invigorating the fan base, media, merchandise. We saw last year the same kind of short term narrow thinking when we traded for Flynn and found he sucked.
I don't disagree with this, although I think with an improved O-Line and a few more receiving weapons, Schaub/Mcgloin are going to be in a better spot than last seasons Pryor/Mcgloin situation. Manziel could be the chosen one, I don't disagree with that either, but so was Jamarcus.

#heilmanziel

I don't disagree with this, although I think with an improved O-Line and a few more receiving weapons, Schaub/Mcgloin are going to be in a better spot than last seasons Pryor/Mcgloin situation. Manziel could be the chosen one, I don't disagree with that either, but so was Jamarcus.
You're going nowhere with Schaub / McGloin no matter how good the rest of your team is. Cant blame you for thinking that way though..

Franchise changer is Manziel. Given past history you're just as likely to make a bust pick in another position so I dont see why you wouldnt reach for the stars and draft Manziel.

You're going nowhere with Schaub / McGloin no matter how good the rest of your team is. Cant blame you for thinking that way though..

Franchise changer is Manziel. Given past history you're just as likely to make a bust pick in another position so I dont see why you wouldnt reach for the stars and draft Manziel.
Depends on who falls to 5 I guess.

Manziel is a similar qb type as Pryor. They want someone who will stay in the pocket and see who is open. qb running off to the right should be the last option.

Pryor looks like getting cut.

Do you really want Watkins?

What's your personal top 5?
I would say:
Mack/Clowney (a lot of Clowney depends on how they see him in interviews etc as his talent is number 1, and we need pass rush). Mack is a pretty safe bet as well. Robinson and Matthews obviously if we went OT, but we did a lot of work on the O Line on FA and last draft we took one I assume we hope will start this season. The 2 WR are obviously Watkins and Evans. I am not sold on any of the QBs being that much better than any we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round if we want to draft one. Maybe I am still gun shy after the Russell/Megatron pick of passing over a WR for a QB......

Anyway, Clowney/Mack won't fall, I doubt we take OT, so it leaves maybe one of the QB triumverant of Manziel/Teddy and Bortles, or Watkins/Evans. I wouldn't be too disappointed by either of those really. Thing is, we may be better trading down, and it wouldn't surprise if we did to get some more picks. We will probably take an injury prone CB.

Another player from Al Davis regime gone, few still remain

20120813_ajw_ax5_054.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The Oakland Raiders traded Terrelle Pryor on Monday in exchange for a seventh-round pick. Pryor was Al Davis' final draft pick before he passed away on October 8, 2011. After his death, the Raiders built 'the fire that burns brightest' so the flame of Davis' legacy would forever live on. But personnel wise, that flame is flickering fast.

Immediately after Davis passed, Hue Jackson took control as the Head Coach and General Manager of the Raiders. Jackson started with 53 players from the Davis regime. After a disappointing 8-8 finish, he was fired and Reggie McKenzie was named the General Manager. In his first off-season with the Raiders, McKenzie signed 10 new players that would become defensive starters, replacing many players from the previous regime.

McKenzie did away with several big contract players almost right away. Out were the likes of Richard Seymour, Stanford Routt, Jason Campbell, Kamerion Wimbley, Samson Satele, Louis Murphy, Joseph Barksdale, and Trevor Scott.

In 2013 the exits included Tommy Kelly, Shane Lechler, Mike Mitchell, Desmond Bryant, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, and Michael Bush.

This off-season Jared Veldheer, Jacoby Ford and Lamarr Houston were among the latest to be weeded out.

That makes for just 11 players remain from the Davis regime:

Darren McFadden

Taiwan Jones

Marcel Reece

Stefen Wisniewski

Khalif Barnes

Tyvon Branch

Chimdi Chekwa

Sebastian Janikowski

Jon Condo

Denarius Moore

David Ausberry

In two and a half years, Hue Jackson and Reggie McKenzie replaced 80% of the Davis regime. With the futures of Darren McFadden, Khalif Barnes, Denarius Moore and Chimdi Chekwa in jeopardy, that number could rise to 87% within a year.

The eternal flame will forever burn bright in the hearts of Raider fans. But for the team, that flame is running out of gas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back