Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I always feel awkward asking a random guy to spot me when squatting. I'm too afraid he'll think I'm trying to hit on him. So I often skip squats or use a barbell I can lift over my head. Unfortunately - can squat more than 15, but can't raise the bar over my head elegantly enough. #femaleproblems
Does you gym have a squat rack? You can still squat safely if so.

I always feel awkward asking a random guy to spot me when squatting. I'm too afraid he'll think I'm trying to hit on him. So I often skip squats or use a barbell I can lift over my head. Unfortunately - can squat more than 15, but can't raise the bar over my head elegantly enough. #femaleproblems
Dumbbell lunges are your friend.

Yeah, has the smith. Only issue is that sometimes the guys will leave the bar too high with the weights on so it's too high and too heavy to take off. I hate bothering people at the gym so never bother asking someone else. Jab

On another note, I've been loving single leg presses, curls etc. I swear it targets the muscle better.

Dumbbell lunges are your friend.

Said in another thread I now prefer lunges with the kettle now, but noted. Still prefer doing both instead of one or the other :)

Front squat? No need for a spotter.

I have a love/hate relationship with front squats.
I find they kill my wrists too much, may have to try them again old-school crossed arms style.

Have you tried Russian squats?
No - does that involve invading someone else's squat rack and claiming it's the will of the people?

No - does that involve invading someone else's squat rack and claiming it's the will of the people?
My s**t = lost.
I find they kill my wrists too much, may have to try them again old-school crossed arms style.
I do crossed arms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Front squats, this video below really helped me.

Quick question, not sure if this has been covered before but is it better to do cardio in the morning on a empty stomach or have something to eat first. I only ask because everybody I ask, everywhere I look.....mixed responses

Front squats, this video below really helped me.

Quick question, not sure if this has been covered before but is it better to do cardio in the morning on a empty stomach or have something to eat first. I only ask because everybody I ask, everywhere I look.....mixed responses

Everyone's opinion will differ on this one, i don't know how many definitive studies have been done to say yay or no nay for fasted cardio. I think it depends on each person to see how your body reacts to it.

For me i find it works. Towards the end of last year i did lyle mcdonalds utlimate diet 2.0 which is carb cycling/carb loading/ depletion/tension work outs. I would alternate doing 15mins of HIIT or 30-40 mins of walking first thing in the morning. I got a dexa scan at the start and at the end about 7-8 weeks apart. I dropped 3.5kgs of boy fat, my lean muscle was down but i spoke to the doctor who did my body scan and discussed the diet i was doing. He told me the body scan can't differ between lean muscle and water. So most likely the drop in lean muscle was most likely due to less water retention, as my protein levels weren't low enough for loss of muscle mass.

So long story short, i believe fasted cardio works. You would be best off walking for anywhere 30-60 mins, as opposed to running. You must take 5-10g of BCAA's before you start.

Everyone's opinion will differ on this one, i don't know how many definitive studies have been done to say yay or no nay for fasted cardio. I think it depends on each person to see how your body reacts to it.

For me i find it works. Towards the end of last year i did lyle mcdonalds utlimate diet 2.0 which is carb cycling/carb loading/ depletion/tension work outs. I would alternate doing 15mins of HIIT or 30-40 mins of walking first thing in the morning. I got a dexa scan at the start and at the end about 7-8 weeks apart. I dropped 3.5kgs of boy fat, my lean muscle was down but i spoke to the doctor who did my body scan and discussed the diet i was doing. He told me the body scan can't differ between lean muscle and water. So most likely the drop in lean muscle was most likely due to less water retention, as my protein levels weren't low enough for loss of muscle mass.

So long story short, i believe fasted cardio works. You would be best off walking for anywhere 30-60 mins, as opposed to running. You must take 5-10g of BCAA's before you start.
It might work for fat loss, but does it work for upping performance? I know that's not what you were saying, so it's not to argue against what you said, more a general question for anybody. If you aren't fueled properly can you push you body to a point it will improve itself and you perform better in the long run?

It might work for fat loss, but does it work for upping performance? I know that's not what you were saying, so it's not to argue against what you said, more a general question for anybody. If you aren't fueled properly can you push you body to a point it will improve itself and you perform better in the long run?

I see, once again it depends on the person. For me i can never do a running or gym on a full stomach, whilst i have done running and gym in a fasted state and i find my endurance for both suffers a little. Again i would say try exercising fasted and see what results you get. Honestly i don't think i've ever heard anyone doing fasted exercise for improved performance, it's always been in the context about fat loss.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your help

******* chocolate. It's everywhere and I can't help myself.
Wean yourself off or allocate small amounts instead of trying to go cold turkey?

I was getting super excited about a vein developing on my bi and it burst today and now I have a bruise :(

I was getting super excited about a vein developing on my bi and it burst today and now I have a bruise :(
So vonn and I were discussing this earlier - does anyone else get these? A similar thing happens to me. I often get home from the gym and flex in the mirror before my shower (of course). And sometimes I notice a little bruise right in the middle of my inner bicep. At first I thought I must have caught a little pinch somewhere, but it's happened often enough now that I know it happens during/after training.

Is is a 'thing'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back