Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have any advise as to whether you could grow fruiting avocados in a very large pot. Don't have enough room left in the for a tree but am sick of paying $4.00 for a single bloody avo.

Was inspecting my Tuscan Kale yesterday and discovered a leaf with a hole in it so I ripped it off for a closer look.

Found the remains of a cocoon and 3 aphids. Found another few aphids around so I squashed them with my fingers.

Going to have to be extra vigilant with my bug patrol.

The big Cherry Tomato plant is nearly at the top of the stake I've got it tied to. It has been powering along.

Ripped out my capsicums and tested my soil for PH before i planted my winter crop and it was too acidic (4.5-5) I've added some lime and some cow manure to break down the clay a bit more.

New crop has Broccoli, Celery and Silverbeet as seedlings and a couple of rows of Brown Onions, Leek and Russian Red Kale from seeds.

Does anyone have any advise as to whether you could grow fruiting avocados in a very large pot. Don't have enough room left in the for a tree but am sick of paying $4.00 for a single bloody avo.

Will cost you a bit more than $4.00 for the tree, and you will have to wait a bit for it to bear fruit, but definitely options out there - try Daleys for a start in terms of online research (let me know if you need the website link), and once you have decided what variety you like (there are three or 4 that grow in pots quite well, depending on your closeness to the coast, amount of sun and pot size) then have a hunt around to see what is in stock locally. My only other advice would be to be willing to get three or four plants at once, and for them to be slow growing and sparse fruiting at first. Pots wil always produce less fruit than fully established plants in the ground, but if you can get a few going they should be pretty serviceable in a year or two...

If all you want is a cheaper supply of avos, ask around and see if any of your mates can hook you up with a grower from up Carnarvon way - they are generally happy to arrange for the more bruised/mis-shapen trays to come down once or twice a month at lower cost, as long as you pay a set amount up front before the season starts.

Will cost you a bit more than $4.00 for the tree, and you will have to wait a bit for it to bear fruit, but definitely options out there - try Daleys for a start in terms of online research (let me know if you need the website link), and once you have decided what variety you like (there are three or 4 that grow in pots quite well, depending on your closeness to the coast, amount of sun and pot size) then have a hunt around to see what is in stock locally. My only other advice would be to be willing to get three or four plants at once, and for them to be slow growing and sparse fruiting at first. Pots wil always produce less fruit than fully established plants in the ground, but if you can get a few going they should be pretty serviceable in a year or two...

If all you want is a cheaper supply of avos, ask around and see if any of your mates can hook you up with a grower from up Carnarvon way - they are generally happy to arrange for the more bruised/mis-shapen trays to come down once or twice a month at lower cost, as long as you pay a set amount up front before the season starts.
Thanks for this BiPG. I've been told Joe from Tass1Trees grows avos (and mangoes) in old wine barrels. Going to go and check out his nursery and get some more advice on the weekend. I've heard some of the dwarf varieties fruit much quicker but will still take years.

Thanks for this BiPG. I've been told Joe from Tass1Trees grows avos (and mangoes) in old wine barrels. Going to go and check out his nursery and get some more advice on the weekend. I've heard some of the dwarf varieties fruit much quicker but will still take years.

Good luck mate, if he has a few advanced enough to be growing in wine barrels (a great size pot for avos, lemons, oranges etc) you might be lucky enough to get him to flog you a couple of his more advanced trees, which would cut years off your wait. In the meantime don't be shy about ringing around the plantations, you'd be surprised what you can get, especially if you are willing to travel up that way once or twice a month...

If you suss anyone out re: the avo underground let us know and i'll go halvsies with you. I'm doing the unspeakable and paying whatever people are asking for avocados at the moment. :(

I've grown my own tree from a seed, it's about a foot tall, but I discussion I had with rellies on the weekend has made me second guess whether it's a male or female, so there's a chance ill never get anything from it anyway. :mad:

If you suss anyone out re: the avo underground let us know and i'll go halvsies with you. I'm doing the unspeakable and paying whatever people are asking for avocados at the moment. :(

I've grown my own tree from a seed, it's about a foot tall, but I discussion I had with rellies on the weekend has made me second guess whether it's a male or female, so there's a chance ill never get anything from it anyway. :mad:
I'm sure I read somewhere that ones grown from seed could take forever or even, never fruit whereas grafted trees fruit much better. I think you get 'A' and 'B' varieties. I'll be searching for two different dwarf varieties to grow in large pots as my yard definitely isn't big enough for two full size avocado trees. There is a place up on Gingin Brook Rd (almost cnr with Indian Ocean Dve/Wanneroo Rd) that sells different sizes between 50c and $1 in season.

I think that I'll dump a few bags of horse manure on my fruit trees soon, it'll throw up a heap of weeds no doubt, but my chooks will convert them into more fertiliser.

There are always people giving away horse poo for free (mostly because you have to hot compost it for a summer to kill all the weed seeds).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to attach a photo of a paw paw tree I've got going nuts. Just over a year old, 12 foot high and 6 foot in diameter easily with about 10 fruit on it. The thing has gone bonkers !!!
Eating so much som tam these days ....mmmmm som tam

Anyone know of a soil testing service in Perth? I have a patch of ground that keeps killing my Pitisporums. Unless it is just the Pitisporums being flakey.

Have just started tidying up the garden. Haven't grown any food since I left Chittering. Starting to piss me off.

So, I have the whole long weekend off...and I'm going to spend most of it, digging s**t plants out that have no purpose and repairing irrigation, and then the replanting starts.
Might just be able to sneak some garlic in.

Have just started tidying up the garden. Haven't grown any food since I left Chittering. Starting to piss me off.

So, I have the whole long weekend off...and I'm going to spend most of it, digging s**t plants out that have no purpose and repairing irrigation, and then the replanting starts.
Might just be able to sneak some garlic in.

Certainly worth growing your own stuff. Putting time into the garden isn't too difficult.

I'm only a few weeks out from getting a good haul of cherry tomatoes. The thing is going mental about 2.5m off the ground so I can't reach the top without a step ladder.

The chilli plants haven't done much but it might just be the wrong time of year.

Aphids have gone crazy on the Mizuna and Red Russian Kale. Access is a bit of an issue underneath the tomato vine and sunflowers.

Will go out and get some photos.

I absolutely plough through curly kale, so I managed to find some seeds for them, as well as broccoli & cauli and casually sprinkled/chucked them in the vege patch. The seeds have all sprouted well which is pleasing, seeing as the vege patch is useless for growing in summer due to the lack of shade - i'm glad i'm able to at least get some use out of it 6 months a year now..

I have never gardened but the bride is a pretty serious gardener.I am the garden's heavy lifter.
Yesterday's job was to set up what the bride maintains is a biodynamic compost.She is involved with a gardening coven who transport poop around the Sou'West,do stirrings and whatever else.Brought home some biodynamic spuds the other day from some farm in Donnybrook that weighed about a kilo each(no s**t) and were delicious.
The compost is easy peasy.I used a few old sheets of corri to make walls about 1.5wx3mx1mh.Next I got a 3m length of 100m polypipe and sliced sections out of the sides with a grinder and drilled a pile of big holes in it.This goes on the ground up the guts of the compost to allow it to continue to aerate.
Then place straw about 15cm deep on the floor make up a slurry of cow s**t to pour over it.Put about 30cm of green waste on top of that and sprinkle with hydrated lime.
Rinse and repeat:another layer of straw or what the recipe calls 'carbonaceous material',more slurry/thin layer of basalt rock dust,rock phosphates,seaweed dust more straw,more slurry,more greens...til about 1-2 metres high.
That's the basic dung pile to which the biodynamic sorceress will add "preparations".:D:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back