RDFL 2014 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But you do know the background don't you Omni - no home game scheduled for the first 4 rounds of the season (plus the easter break made 5 weeks) if this game was not moved from the June long weekend. And the Riddell club agreed to it so one would assume they did liaise with their players.

I understand your point but you can't please everyone. And even if you went to the game, you could still travel Friday night and have 3 full days away. Enjoy your weekend!

Actually ITM the real reason I'm so disappointed that I'm missing this match is that I will miss catching up with your good self & the other friends I have over at Wallan !!! Have you been getting to their games ? And if so are they the real deal this season ?

Actually ITM the real reason I'm so disappointed that I'm missing this match is that I will miss catching up with your good self & the other friends I have over at Wallan !!! Have you been getting to their games ? And if so are they the real deal this season ?

Yep, I'm there. But it's also hard to tell if they are the real deal. Only played one game at this point. I would suggest tomorrow will give us a good idea.
Cheers!

Cant wait to see todays game at Wallan it,s a great concept to play today giving us footy tragics our daily dose of football ! Also looking forward to seeing Wallan,s progress up against Riddell the best in the competition.Should be a great 1st Half !

24.14 riddle defeated wallan 5.6 ;), first time watching riddle in 2014 they seem to be the team to beat again this year?

24.14 riddle defeated wallan 5.6 ;), first time watching riddle in 2014 they seem to be the team to beat again this year?

Did anyone expect Wallan to get within 10 goals, get serious. Watching the good Friday appeal on Chanel 7. 5.45pm Riddells Creek DONATIONS 000000000000000000000000000. Poor Performance so far by Romsey South. Lift your game.

Watched todays game with much anticipation and left very dissapointed with what i saw Firstly thought umpires done a very good job and as they should be every week they where consistent.Crowd was very goodlRiddell looked very good with Nolan Darby Blade and Carriss standouts.Cant see Carriss getting beat all year he is a superstar in this comp and can also kick goals when resting.Wallan very dissapointing with very few positives lacked urgency and leadership.Overall I think good Friday football can work in this comp but need to fixture a (far) more competetive game.

Watched todays game with much anticipation and left very dissapointed with what i saw Firstly thought umpires done a very good job and as they should be every week they where consistent.Crowd was very goodlRiddell looked very good with Nolan Darby Blade and Carriss standouts.Cant see Carriss getting beat all year he is a superstar in this comp and can also kick goals when resting.Wallan very dissapointing with very few positives lacked urgency and leadership.Overall I think good Friday football can work in this comp but need to fixture a (far) more competetive game.

Sorry Omni...but today was a great concept. Maybe not a massive crowd from both teams, but instead..a great following from RDFL fans and footy supporters in general.
There has been a lot of talk about the top "5 or 6" this year in the first 2 rounds, but today has shown the 'gap' in the field..
Agree???

First of all I was amazed at the ground at Wallan it was in great condition its a pity their players didn't look in great condition they looked unfit and disorganized....Their was more effort from the Wallan players getting rotated every 2 minutes (in groups of four I might add) than in the contest....However Riddle on the other hand looked all class they are well coached and their set up through the corridor to run and spread looked good even though the opposition was inferior ..Nolan ,Ruffell and Robbo when he went Forward looked dangerous and playing an 8 man defence at times they linked up so well out of the backline that they scored goals easily from one end of the ground to the other .. Riddle are easily the benchmark in this competition although I would like to see them under extreme pressure in a match.....

Cant wait to see todays game at Wallan it,s a great concept to play today giving us footy tragics our daily dose of football ! Also looking forward to seeing Wallan,s progress up against Riddell the best in the competition.Should be a great 1st Half !

Glad I opted to not go, had a gutfeel it would be a blowout after seeing Wallan Rd.1. If they were going to make any inroads this year they had to do a lot better against Kilmore than they did.

Anyone surprised by the result, having seen Wallan Rd.1 it
There has been a lot of talk about the top "5 or 6" this year in the first 2 rounds, but today has shown the 'gap' in the field..
Agree???

I'm more interested in the race for 6th to be honest. Said it enough already but Riddell, Romsey, Sunbury, Diggers/Rupo are about my order for "lock ins"

This keeps up and there will be an enforced re-gig in the Goldfields area I reckon :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This keeps up and there will be an enforced re-gig in the Goldfields area I reckon :(

What would people prefer re-jig in the goldfields area or trying a points cap on players?

It has been the same sides on the top four for several years at least rupo will add a twist this year. I was very impressed with what they produced the few times I saw them last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a big say in the finals.

Sixth place maybe a race in two. Already this year macedon, kilmore, woodend, rockbank and wallan have all been written off this forum. There is a long way to go thou and a bit of luck with injuries can make a huge difference.

What would people prefer re-jig in the goldfields area or trying a points cap on players?

It has been the same sides on the top four for several years at least rupo will add a twist this year. I was very impressed with what they produced the few times I saw them last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a big say in the finals.

Sixth place maybe a race in two. Already this year macedon, kilmore, woodend, rockbank and wallan have all been written off this forum. There is a long way to go thou and a bit of luck with injuries can make a huge difference.

Only way a points cap can work, is if it is across the entire state. If it isn't, then players go to a different league. At the same time, having a points system doesn't automatically mean clubs will have the money to pay players to fill their points allocation either.

Points system has to be 100% statewide in my opinion to take full affect. I reckon dust off the old Division 2 premiership cup and award it to whoever finishes 6th :D

Race in two you say, so who out of Melton, Broadford and Lancefield are you saying aint included?

Points system has to be 100% statewide in my opinion to take full affect. I reckon dust off the old Division 2 premiership cup and award it to whoever finishes 6th :D

Race in two you say, so who out of Melton, Broadford and Lancefield are you saying aint included?

Lancefields win at broadford will make it very hard for broadford.
Draw has both lancefield and Melton playing top 5 seven times each. Round 11 Melton v lancefield could be the make or break game.
Broadford only have six games agst top five but they play Melton twice.
Assuming you will need nine wins from sixteen games broadford will need pull off some big wins that they couldn't manage last year.(they beat lancefield at home last year).

But that is a lot of crystal ball gazing and could all turn out to be a load of c&@p

Lancefields win at broadford will make it very hard for broadford.
Draw has both lancefield and Melton playing top 5 seven times each. Round 11 Melton v lancefield could be the make or break game.
Broadford only have six games agst top five but they play Melton twice.
Assuming you will need nine wins from sixteen games broadford will need pull off some big wins that they couldn't manage last year.(they beat lancefield at home last year).

But that is a lot of crystal ball gazing and could all turn out to be a load of c&@p
Rockbank will get stronger as the year goes on. Don't count them out yet folks

Rockbank will get stronger as the year goes on. Don't count them out yet folks

To early to write anyone off yet.
Rockbank have an ok draw, loss to Melton first game not a disaster. They have six games agst top five for the year.
If they can improve there crunch games are in rounds 13 & 14 at home agst lancefield and Melton.

Wallan have the easiest draw of all, none of the four sides they play twice finished in the top half of ladder last year.

Glad I opted to not go, had a gutfeel it would be a blowout after seeing Wallan Rd.1. If they were going to make any inroads this year they had to do a lot better against Kilmore than they did.

that is a big call doona if wallan wont make anyniroads then surely you cant say kilmore will. other than an actual goalkciker where has that list improved. as dismayed has stated wallan have a fair draw

Anyone surprised by the result, having seen Wallan Rd.1 it

I'm more interested in the race for 6th to be honest. Said it enough already but Riddell, Romsey, Sunbury, Diggers/Rupo are about my order for "lock ins"

Riddell. Romsey and Sunbury have flown out of the gate. Hard to go past Riddell for the flag at this stage, then Romsey who seem to be back to their best after a horror injury run last year, Sunbury look good accounting for Rupo in Rd1 and smashing Macedon in Rd2. Will need to see how Diggers play this week to see if they are going to be a big force again this year. Rupo have been talked about a lot, they have brought in some good new talent but have a very hard draw playing Riddell, Sunbury and Diggers twice, they will need to win at least 2 of their games against the top 4 teams to stay in touch. Plus the likelihood of facing a Hall lead Broadford in Rd4. I still thick they are just of the top 4 or at least the top 3. Melton have a relatively easy start draw wise, so if they can win those games and maybe pinch 1 or 2 against the top sides they could finish 5th. Lancefield will need to beat Melton and another top 4-5 side to have a chance. Broadford will hope Hall plays more than last year to stay in touch with a chance of 6th, but I don't think they can make it. Macedon seem to have fallen away at this early part (although they are 1-1). The rest are making up the numbers

Riddell
Romsey
Sunbury
Diggers Rest
Rupertswood
Melton
Lancefield
Broadford
Macedon
Wallan
Woodend
Kilmore
Rockbank

that is a big call doona if wallan wont make anyniroads then surely you cant say kilmore will. other than an actual goalkciker where has that list improved. as dismayed has stated wallan have a fair draw

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've spruiked Kilmore on here as I'm a realist. The bottom 7-8 players were the same 7-8 for me last year so when you replace players and fail to create depth improvement in a comp like this will always be minimal. Saunders, Peckham, McCullough all finished top 5 in our B&F last year no longer at the club. Matty Lawson, Chris Laffan, were regulars also to have moved on, with a few kids who were forced to play at 2pm last year now running out at a more suitable 10am with the return to a 3rds team.

Dylan Clancy who trained a lot with the senior group the past two years is at Greensborough as well as that long line of good club juniors at Seymour (some of who I think would be in the senior 22) and I think there's a fair base for Kilmore to draw on if someone up there can pull the rabbit out of the hat and get it back to the day where there is no shame in playing for your home town club to get that important 30-40 games up before jetting off.

Last week I left Riddell v Melton as I so want to be present for the first win to (1.) congratulate Jarrad as we need new coaches coming thru and taking on senior roles and (2.) see the joy a win will bring to the young blokes who stood by me last year when it all got too hard for a few others who left. Nothing against Woodend who deserved the win, but I thought their list last year was a touch better so I must say Im a tad concerned about the Blues until big Harro comes in which will make a nice little duo with Crump. Last week (and I didn't have a record) handy 2013 players like Gawthorp, Gove, Shippard and Taylor were all gone from Woodend.

As for Wallan, someone who's opinion I rate down there said to me a fortnight ago "if we can't roll you's by 10-12 goals today then we're going nowhere" .... could he be right? Going by your nickname you're well aware of the film Talladega Nights, so judging by the quote in the clip below, sadly yes, maybe I don't see Wallan being any better off then Kilmore

But you do know the background don't you Omni - no home game scheduled for the first 4 rounds of the season (plus the easter break made 5 weeks) if this game was not moved from the June long weekend. And the Riddell club agreed to it so one would assume they did liaise with their players.

I understand your point but you can't please everyone. And even if you went to the game, you could still travel Friday night and have 3 full days away. Enjoy your weekend!
My better half still headed to the game and then rolled on out to Mt Hotham for the weekend.. a good weekend all round and hats off to Wallan for putting on a great day :)

Anyone who is interested I have a few metro footballers who are interested in country football from around the mpnfl and sfl area, PM for more info

Remove this Banner Ad

Back