2014 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Dubstep for example
Unlike the halcyon days of the 1990s with their pop stars who were absolutely painful, like Shania Twain. Every era has its gems and shameful acts.

dont know how good new chromeo will be, but both tracks so far have been kewl.

Ezra's interlude is probably the worst thing Ezra has ever done. So bad.

My favourite Chromeo thing is this remix Russell and Matt from Bloc Party did. Those little guitar spikes and spirals are so nice. It adds such a level of melancholy to a total club banger. Love the sadness it kind of puts into it, too.

Liked the tracks with synthesiser on them on Salad Days, rest sounded like it was from 2.

Yeh I agree. I didn't mind the album but it sounded awfully similar to 2. And I'm not sure the singles were any better.

Captured Tracks could just bring Wild Nothing and Beach Fossils out again and I'd pay silly money. Mac, Diiv and Holograms would be the gravy.

Favourite albums of 2014 so far:

Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
MØ - No Mythologies to Follow
War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Badbadnotgood - BBNGIII

I liked bits and pieces from Piñata by Madlib and Freddie Gibbs too but it was a little hit and miss for me. An Australian band called Lowlakes has an album called Iceberg Nerves which I've only heard once but I ordered a copy online as soon as I heard it. I'm waiting to get my copy before I play it again. I think that could hit my favourites list for the year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh I agree. I didn't mind the album but it sounded awfully similar to 2. And I'm not sure the singles were any better.

Captured Tracks could just bring Wild Nothing and Beach Fossils out again and I'd pay silly money. Mac, Diiv and Holograms would be the gravy.
Wild Nothing were good fun when they came out. Did you see them at the Tote or the Toff? Apparently that first show was on a 42 degree day and they didn't even play Summer Holiday. I'm sure he'll be brought back here though with his new album. Which I'm banking on as an August-November release, right in time for Laneway or something. How was Beach Fossils? I had a ticket but it was the night of our prelim and I decided to go out afterwards instead of running to Richmond to catch their show. Disappointing because that song Careless meant so much to me.

Favourite albums of 2014 so far:

Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
MØ - No Mythologies to Follow
War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Badbadnotgood - BBNGIII
I was keeping tabs on MØ for a long time but I do not dig her album. It's really bloated. And there's too many ideas. She just seemed to expand on little fragments and nothing was hooky enough. Who knows.

Wild Nothing were good fun when they came out. Did you see them at the Tote or the Toff? Apparently that first show was on a 42 degree day and they didn't even play Summer Holiday. I'm sure he'll be brought back here though with his new album. Which I'm banking on as an August-November release, right in time for Laneway or something. How was Beach Fossils? I had a ticket but it was the night of our prelim and I decided to go out afterwards instead of running to Richmond to catch their show. Disappointing because that song Careless meant so much to me.

I'm in Sydney and I saw Wild Nothing at Oxford Art Factory on Oxford Street. They played Summer Holiday for us, no Bored Games or Chinatown though which disappointed me. Two of the catchiest songs I've heard in the last 4 years. I hadn't heard about a new Wild Nothing album. Has that been confirmed? I'll be ******* psyched for that.

Didn't get to see Beach Fossils as they played on a Friday night that I was stuck at uni for. Very disappointed, I heard from a few sources that was insanely fun and energetic and came with a Dustin Payseur unhinged rant to top it all off. Sounded good.

I was keeping tabs on MØ for a long time but I do not dig her album. It's really bloated. And there's too many ideas. She just seemed to expand on little fragments and nothing was hooky enough. Who knows.

This is the first thing of hers that I've heard and I really enjoyed it. Some of the choruses and hooks did the job for me. Fire Rides and Slow Love have been stuck in my head for the last 10 days straight.

And so far this year, my top releases...

Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams

Freddie Gibbs + Madlib - Pinata (In contrast to the previous post, I think it is ridiculously consistent, Thuggin, Broken, Robes, goes on)

Ambrose Akinmusire - The Imagined Savior is Far Easier to Paint

Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Piano Nights

Tobacco - Ultimate II Massage

Ben Frost - A U R O R A

Young Fathers - Dead

BBNG - III

Really strange vibe on that track. The bass line wtf?!
I like Dead, but their first two EPs have a track average length of around 2.20 per song. Fast, full on and it doesn't get repetitive. Dead sometimes feels like it labours, even though its still relatively short overall.

Get Up is a goodun (Surprised as hell to hear it on Triple J this morning), but there are some better tracks from the album. Low is a killer.

have not been motivated/keen enough to really check out any brand new stuff this past couple of months.

these guys however are a band that may be worth checking out
http://www.epitaph.com/artists/album/699/Free_To_Eat

just wanna say that i have given this a few spins and YES.. pretty damn good
10 songs.
17 minutes.
Raw and to the point garage punk.
Enjoyed it plenty. Had the energy of early jon spencer.

Lets hope they are no flash in the pan

New Jamie xx. Fairly average, would be one of the poorer things he's done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back