NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

See the Lions beat Aspley today,,,, unreal.Who would of thought that taking into account the results so far this season.Must say, I saw the Aspley vs Sharks game last sunday, and there was a number of undisciplined acts by the Aspley side, giving away free kicks and some 50 metre penalities and from the boundary line I heard a lot of players abuse one another.... this is very unlike a John Blair coached side.
Must comment, maybe Aspley were sapped for energy due to last weeks hard game on sunday in the wet against Southport. As I said in my prior post, the Sharks may of suffered the same in todays game against Redland.

NT Thunder belting Hills Eagles,,, some 17 goals up... season is only 3 weeks old and we have witnessed some almighty beltings in games... and this will continue,,,, I say, is the format correct,,, I don't think so.

You sound too nice Stuyd - maybe Aspley just aren't that good??
smy,
just sitting on the fence,,, pre season was all for Aspley as a premiership winner...... but imo, their list for 2014 was only a little better then their 2013 list, whilst the Southports, Redlands and Thunder have vastly improved their 2014 list.The AFL ressie sides have not improved their list much and the Sydney/ACT sides just will not match the Qld sides. Aspley still rate as a top 4 side, but I see some bad habits creeping in again as per previous seasons on the field. As I said a moment ago, this is something John

smy,
just sitting on the fence,,, pre season was all for Aspley as a premiership winner...... but imo, their list for 2014 was only a little better then their 2013 list, whilst the Southports, Redlands and Thunder have vastly improved their 2014 list.The AFL ressie sides have not improved their list much and the Sydney/ACT sides just will not match the Qld sides. Aspley still rate as a top 4 side, but I see some bad habits creeping in again as per previous seasons on the field. As I said a moment ago, this is something John
Blair will need to control

Lions had 6 U18 top ups as well - not their strongest outfit! Good to see ex maroochy lad, Jed Turner, playing well for the Hornets though - think he has been in the best every week.

smy,

Aspley certainly talked themselves up on this forum preseason. You wouldn't even know Redlands or Southport exist based on talk here most of the time.

See the Lions beat Aspley today,,,, unreal.Who would of thought that taking into account the results so far this season.Must say, I saw the Aspley vs Sharks game last sunday, and there was a number of undisciplined acts by the Aspley side, giving away free kicks and some 50 metre penalities and from the boundary line I heard a lot of players abuse one another.... this is very unlike a John Blair coached side.

With all the dumb arse rotations these days, its very rare you see a guy dragged for giving away a 50 bc it upsets the balance of all the friggin rotations. Might be time for a bit of tough love and let the rotations look after themselves.

Aspley certainly talked themselves up on this forum preseason. You wouldn't even know Redlands or Southport exist based on talk here most of the time.
smy, just a comment, the Southport side today consisted of 7 Broadbeach players from 2013, not to mention their coach is ex Broady in Angus and fitness trainer is guru Fox , ex Broady.All these Broady players contributed well, but what im getting at is how my Broady has been decimated by the loss of these quality players.Southport also picked up Grayson, Goldsack and Clarke from Labrador and 2 or 3 good players from interstate , thus one would think they will improve big time this season. But the silent achiever has been Redland... they have recruited some class players, eg, Pfieffer, Hughes,the Scott brothers from Mt Gravatt,Wrigley( ex Lions) and a few others.... hence, I feel Redland will be a big player in the comp this year.And look out for the NT Thunder,,, have recruited very well,,,Good to see, the local clubs may be better then the AFL ressie sides this year.Wud luv to see a grand final involving the local clubs .

smy, just a comment, the Southport side today consisted of 7 Broadbeach players from 2013, not to mention their coach is ex Broady in Angus and fitness trainer is guru Fox , ex Broady.All these Broady players contributed well, but what im getting at is how my Broady has been decimated by the loss of these quality players.Southport also picked up Grayson, Goldsack and Clarke from Labrador and 2 or 3 good players from interstate , thus one would think they will improve big time this season. But the silent achiever has been Redland... they have recruited some class players, eg, Pfieffer, Hughes,the Scott brothers from Mt Gravatt,Wrigley( ex Lions) and a few others.... hence, I feel Redland will be a big player in the comp this year.And look out for the NT Thunder,,, have recruited very well,,,Good to see, the local clubs may be better then the AFL ressie sides this year.Wud luv to see a grand final involving the local clubs .

Thats a great effort by BB though Stuy (and Labrador to a lesser degree). It will take a few years but for clubs like BB and the other ex-NEAFL sides that are now QAFL clubs, one of their benchmarks will be to see how many guys they can get through to Southport and potentially drafted and be happy to see this occur. Must be hard when you aren't having the best of years on field but this is a small saving grace all the same.

For a top level comp the neafl is a joke teams are losing by 10 to 15 goals should have left the comp the way it was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must comment, maybe Aspley were sapped for energy due to last weeks hard game on sunday in the wet against Southport. As I said in my prior post, the Sharks may of suffered the same in todays game against Redland.
Stuyd1 no excuses in footy, both clubs have many fit players available to refresh their sides if needed.I saw the Redlands v Southport game as well, excellent game the standard has definitely gone up another level.This is where man management and tactical understanding will become critical as the season wears on.

Show me a quote where Aspley talked themselves up SMY. From memory it was everyone else??

The Hornets knew that most clubs had recruited well and that a step up was required. Perhaps the step was a little bigger than expected.

I'm also a little concerned that the fear of relegation to QAFL is playing on the minds of some players who are now playing within themselves so as not to make mistakes. Doesn't explain the lack of discipline though.

So far its been pretty hard to read particularly the Brisbane sides for us Canberra people...A few shock results today or is it that my tips were just rubbish
No ABH, will be close between the Qld sides with very deep lists it will come down to how well the coaching groups manage those lists and playing personnel.Also the coaching groups themselves will be under scrutiny of their performance because of the evenness, those that have experienced success will have an edge in this area.Unfortunately the unevenness of the competition will give a false sense of expectation and let the pressure valve off when they play the weaker sides.

For a top level comp the neafl is a joke teams are losing by 10 to 15 goals should have left the comp the way it was

Wonder if the AFL thought this after Brisbane got rolled by over 100 against Port or the Melbourne Demons continued poor performances over many seasons.....and what if Carlton go 0-5 should we get rid of them?

Lucky they did not do this when the Sydney Swans were getting flogged most weeks, or Brisbane Bears or St Kilda for that matter.

No doubt if it continues over time the AFL wont let it continue, little doubt their plan is to do more culling so its up to the Canberra/Sydney sides to lift to the level that is expected

Watched the Swans vs Gold Coast. Swans won 131-31.

Game was a little more even than it seems from that scoreline but the Swans defensive 50 was just impregnable. Seemed to be a gulf between the contributions of topup players as well.

No doubt if it continues over time the AFL wont let it continue, little doubt their plan is to do more culling so its up to the Canberra/Sydney sides to lift to the level that is expected

Don't think the Canberra based clubs will wait for the AFL to show them the door...think they will bail of their own doing. When Clubs like Ainslee spend the massive amounts that they do and won't be within a bulls roar of winning the comp and possibly even making the finals, then I think the business decision will be made to get out and get back to a local comp. Spending a fortune to prop up a quasi AFL reserve grade comp, with no chance of winning it, I done believe is in their best interests

Don't think the Canberra based clubs will wait for the AFL to show them the door...think they will bail of their own doing. When Clubs like Ainslee spend the massive amounts that they do and won't be within a bulls roar of winning the comp and possibly even making the finals, then I think the business decision will be made to get out and get back to a local comp. Spending a fortune to prop up a quasi AFL reserve grade comp, with no chance of winning it, I done believe is in their best interests

We are 4 games into the new comp and already clubs are being written off.

Incredible!

Show me a quote where Aspley talked themselves up SMY. From memory it was everyone else??

The Hornets knew that most clubs had recruited well and that a step up was required. Perhaps the step was a little bigger than expected.

I'm also a little concerned that the fear of relegation to QAFL is playing on the minds of some players who are now playing within themselves so as not to make mistakes. Doesn't explain the lack of discipline though.

There are a few Hornets people on this forum mate (you would know who they are) that were very happy to tell everyone who their recruits were, how competitive they would be. Doesn't mean it comes straight from the coaches mouth but are still representative of the football club. And in any case, why shouldn't they?? The 2 other "local" sides are doing okay, with exactly the same resources. Are you inferring that the Hornets are doing as well as everyone thought they would??

Disagree Yesterday - in fact the way Redlands and Southport are travelling would provide motivation for the canberra based sides to realise that competing with the AFL clubs is a possibility. I think obviously there is a couple too many clubs in Canberra but Ainslie will stay in I think or they could head back to the local comp and continue to the the big fish in the even smaller sea...

Disagree Yesterday - in fact the way Redlands and Southport are travelling would provide motivation for the canberra based sides to realise that competing with the AFL clubs is a possibility. I think obviously there is a couple too many clubs in Canberra but Ainslie will stay in I think or they could head back to the local comp and continue to the the big fish in the even smaller sea...

Is this the only club some people think are in Canberra?

They have always had the financial clout over the other clubs but it did not buy them success from 1998--->2009 with Belconnen winning 4 flags and Qbn winning 3 in that time

Money does not always bring Premierships

Yeah true, just using as an example as there is no way they will drop out it think. Those least financial will fall away although from what I know, most clubs in Canberra travel ok!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back