Health Meditation

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hey guys.

Very recently I began working for a meditation company and one of the first questions I was asked when starting work was 'Do you meditate?'

Each day at work we meditate for twenty minutes and after being very skeptical at first, the whole thing is become such an essential ritual. I always associated it with hippies and buddhists and general weird folk but I've already seen a heap of benefits from practicing. My sleep has improved; I can function well on 6 or 7 hours, I'm happier, more productive during the day and I'm getting random and unexpected bursts of joy.

So I was wondering if anyone on Bigfooty meditates or knows people who do and are seeing benefits.

I highly recommend it :thumbsu:

I would do this, but the problem is that when I'm at home I feel like I have far too much stuff to do so I can't force myself to just sit there and meditate. Otherwise I'm at work, which is stressful, or at uni.

I have meditated before, and found it amazingly calming, tranquil and benefiting, but I just can't find time because I can't forget about everything running through my mind. It's easier for you because you actually have it structured into your work day, and I would love that, I really think it should be essential for every workplace/university to practice this, but I'd probably be in the minority on that one.

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Time is the key one, I struggle to consistently find time to meditate. I'm extremely interested in the practice and mentality though.

It's easier for you because you actually have it structured into your work day, and I would love that, I really think it should be essential for every workplace/university to practice this, but I'd probably be in the minority on that one.

Indeed. I think it should be mandatory through out schooling, along with teaching the principles of Bhuddism in religious studies classes.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
My practice has been crazy lately.

Sometimes I get to the point where I'll feel my whole body softly vibrating and then I'll start having these almost lucid dreams.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143525223&page=1

This thread has plenty of good advice and insights into it.

I'm still pretty new to it still but my self-confidence has gone up unbelievably. I've stopped being so attached to things and I'm less judgemental.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
I've been doing shamanic breathwork which releases tension at the cellular level. It is remarkable.

I meditate as part of my yoga practise.

About to start doing quigong stretches in the morning.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Very interested, not sure where to start. There's a lot of information out there, but I've had trouble finding a good introductory guide.

Check out the Bodybuilding.com thread. It has heaps of tips and interesting info.

Otherwise there's a number of websites with the relevant info.

http://smilingmind.com.au/

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/index.aspx

http://mrmeditate.com/how-to-meditate/

The main point is to sit still, with alignment, close your eyes and focus on your breath.

Every time you have a thought, slowing bring it back to your breathing; paying particular attention to the space above your upper lip and in your nostrils. The more narrow you can think, the better your practice will be.

Some people like to use music (binaural beats especially) but it's more effective if you try to sit in silence.

That being said I used some music for the first time last week and it did help me get relaxed quite quickly. Ultimately though, it is your own experience and there is no right or wrong way and do whatever works best for you :)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It actually is quite amazing and eye-opening watching people who have never meditated before experience it.

A middle-aged guy came in looking very gaunt and stressed and at the end of a twenty minute workshop his face was noticeably brighter, he was more affable and had a heap of questions.

People often go through their day-to-day thinking they're unhappy and in a bad place when it is just their they mind actively telling itself it is. A lot of our thinking has to do with our conditioning and because we have no physical threats, we've resorting to creating 'imaginary' problems in our own minds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
It actually is quite amazing and eye-opening watching people who have never meditated before experience it.

A middle-aged guy came in looking very gaunt and stressed and at the end of a twenty minute workshop his face was noticeably brighter, he was more affable and had a heap of questions.

People often go through their day-to-day thinking they're unhappy and in a bad place when it is just their they mind actively telling itself it is. A lot of our thinking has to do with our conditioning and because we have no physical threats, we've resorting to creating 'imaginary' problems in our own minds.

What do you do, where do you work and how did you get into it?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Jon Kabat-zinn - has some good guided meditation audios.

J_Moore , meditation is something to dive into rather than intellectulise and define "the perfect approach"

Also, Chade Meng Tan (sp?) who runs the Search Inside Yourself program for Google has a book of the same name which is very readable, non-academic and very straight-forward, particularly for people who have never meditated before.

A lot of people tend to think it's some sort of macho path to enlightenment, when in reality it's very simple, despite not being very easy.

Quite simply, in my experience, the more I've practiced, the better I've felt.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What do you do, where do you work and how did you get into it?

Communications Officer for a meditation company based in the Docklands.

This is my first official job outside of uni and it begun as volunteer work. Our aim was to bring meditation into the workplace. The company has subsequently grown and we're getting more and more businesses interested in conducting sessions because it is proving to be incredibly effective in the corporate sphere, for both the organisation (productivity, bottom-line etc) and employees (happier, less anxious etc).

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I'm a fan, as you might be able to tell from my avatar. It's amazing experiencing that progression from seemingly uncontrollable thoughts racing through your mind the first time you try it, to longer and longer moments of stillness and clarity as you advance.

I've got a lot of time for Buddhist principles in general. Not so much the religious side of things (reincarnation, etc) but the philosophies and mindsets you can apply to everyday life. I'm a firm believer that their techniques could help a lot of people suffering from things like situational depression, and I'm heartened to see this being acknowledged more and more in the West.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm a fan, as you might be able to tell from my avatar. It's amazing experiencing that progression from seemingly unstoppable thoughts racing through your mind the first time you try it, to longer and longer moments of stillness and clarity as you advance.

I've got a lot of time for Buddhist principles in general. Not so much the religious side of things (reincarnation, etc) but the philosophies and mindsets you can apply to everyday life. I'm a firm believer that their techniques could help a lot of people suffering from things like situational depression, and I'm heartened to see this being acknowledged more and more in the West.

Yes! I've gone off religion completely but I believe their philosophies for life are so accurate.

I've stopped getting wound up in little things or feeling bad about stupid stuff I've done in the past because they just don't have any relevance.

You also stop worrying about what people around you think and start to act naturally and purposefully. Being fairly introverted, this has helped me immensely.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I've recently started studying to be an instructor and upped my practice tenfold, generally meditating for an hour or more in total a day.

Looking back to June I remember the effects were starting to sink in but these days they unbelievably profound and I'm feeling as good as I have in life ever. I literally cannot recall such lasting, sweet happiness culminating constantly.

I'd thoroughly recommend anybody who's feeling stressed, anxious or even depressed to give it a go. Although one warning - It may change your life forever ;)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Headspace is another good, accessible app. I'm not big into guided meditations but they're great for beginners or if you want something a bit more immediate.

I'm going on my first 10-day Vipassana retreat tomorrow and from all reports it's a life-changing experience. 10 days of silent meditation in the country.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I love meditating. Even though I'm very much on the low level of experience one thing I would recommend only through good advice is to avoid any stimulants like coffee and black tea before hand. And obviously avoid drugs for help of relaxation, it will only make it harder when doing it organically.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If I meditate, will I be as cool as Ron Livingston in Office Space?

EDIT:

s**t. On second thought, he was hypnotised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back