Chris Masten vs Brad Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember that we played them down at Skilled earlier in 2007 and were soundly beaten, even though we were undefeated to that point and still had Judd and Kerr at full fitness. That game wasn't even in the middle of Geelong's massive run of wins, it was right at the start (the week after they slaughtered the Tigers). Any 2006 demons would have been dispatched that day.

As for them being a basket case... by the finals that definitely wasn't the case. They thrashed the Kangas by 100+ in week one of the finals, just got over the line against the Pies in the Prelim and wiped the floor with Port in the GF. The Collingwood result seems an anomaly but you have to factor in that Collingwood were one of the only teams during their awesome run to give them trouble. Their only loss in 2008 (apart from the GF) was to the Pies by 86 points. For some reason they just matched up well against them.

Being a massive fan of free-flowing footy I'd paid a lot of attention to the Cats that year. With both teams (Eagles/Cats) at full fitness I still don't even think it would have been close.
That's not how I remember it almost replayed what happened in 06 but hunter and Armstrong were ******* around near goals and cost us. I still maintain if we had own that day Geelong never would have reached the heights that they have

Brisbane played their 2004 PF at the MCG and on a Saturday. Port played theirs at home and on the Friday. Martin Pike reckons that was the difference.

To be fair we finished on top of the ladder - it's rare for the top placed side not to get the Friday night prelim. The anachronistic rule forcing Brisbane to play a home prelim at the MCG was a joke though.

Weighing into the Ebert discussion from another perspective - from the moment he came back to Port Adelaide he set the benchmark in work rate and discipline. One of the best tacklers going around in the AFL too. The comment before about how he seemed to be unable to adapt to a role other than as a centre square midfielder is an interesting one, because at the start of 2013, Hinkley shifted him to primarily a half back flank role which saw a bit of a drop in his output. Seemed to play more in the midfield as the year went on though and that hasn't changed this year.

The Eagles midfield was in top form throughout 2011 - Ebert was a reasonable contributor for most of the year on a forward flank - a position that doesn't exactly cater to his strengths, but highlighted his clear deficiencies at the time of foot skills and his decision making. It's a difficult call to make to rob Kerr, Priddis, Shuey and Selwood of time spent in the most critical position on the field for the benefit of a young player - more so when you are in premiership contention as was the case that year. In an ideal world (for you guys!) he'd have been integrated into the side as a wingman, but when you've got a gun like Embley and a first year star in Gaff carving up there, the opportunity simply never came up.

Brisbane played their 2004 PF at the MCG and on a Saturday. Port played theirs at home and on the Friday. Martin Pike reckons that was the difference.

They were fairly evenly matched sides if Port had stopped choking in finals sooner those 2 would have played off in 3GF's in a row and I doubt Brisbane would have 3 peaked. 2004 was the GF I had been waiting 2-3 years for.

Poor old soft Lions, we did back to back MCG wins on the way to the '92 flag.

If you are good enough on the day, you win.

Yeah I reckon we really miss having Bradd in our side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing DD could cost us the flag this year. :(

And a brownlow and a norm smith and a coleman

Ridddiculous dddecision i dddont know who dddone it but dddont dddoubt they will dddread the just dddeserts dddelivered dddaily when they are dddenounced.

Masto looked like we rushed him back but jeez it's amazing what a midfielder like Ebert can do when given minutes in the midfield.
Didn't think Ebert was that good myself. He seems to have become a bit of a forward runner...

He's become a much better player at Port Adelaide.

But ebo's probably peaking right now, Masten MIGHT possibly still have some improvement left in him.

Yeah and cindy crawford might finally knock my door and demand to give me a blowjob

And my mrs MIGHT have organised it for lols

- my bet is that my utensil will remain unsucked by not wifely people for the forseeable future

Didn't think Ebert was that good myself. He seems to have become a bit of a forward runner...

LOL - Ebert has become one of the best two way, gut running player in the competition!!!

Ebo's skills were never up to scratch (will admit they've improved heaps at port) but * he went hard at it for 80 minutes. Was a victim of too many 'samey' players in the middle and him becoming the odd one out. Assuming he was on our list still and hadn't developed a bit since his last game at WC, we would be screaming to bring in someone willing to crash packs with the bigger bodies like him this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back