Josh Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Update to AFL's previous story:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-18/simpson-not-a-noshow

Bondy went on 6PR and ran down Josh's discipline on-air.

I am rather pissed off at Freo Management right now, and Bondy in particular. If Josh was a no-show then fine - I trust the club to do the right thing and apply discipline as it best sees fit. But this is now being played out in the media - which is the last f*****g thing that Josh or the club needs frankly.

Bond continuing to comment in the media like he did on 6PR only makes things worse - we all know what level handed, fair, non-biased and objective chaps sports commentators are on the whole, and I'm sure that these events won't be distorted and blown out of proportion as a result! o_O

FFC's needs to learn that s**t like this fades from the public's attention pretty quickly if you laugh it off publicly and refuse to comment further. But it's now too late for that - FFC have now put out three partially contradictory statements on the subject and that's just grist for the molehill-to-mountains mill of AFL-related media.

You watch - this whole thing will snowball on Freo now, people will start commenting on everything form Josh's character and personal life, to Fremantle Management, to signs of internal stress in the club's playing group. Every comment from FFC is now just another log thrown on a bonfire of hype.

So many people have put so much work in to helping Josh achieve his best. Bondy's comments on 6PR is just pulling down a lot of their good work. You ALWAYS back your players publicly until you have no option but to cut them, especially in cases like this - and Josh is a million miles from being that bad surely???

Don't feed the trolls FFC, whether they be online-snipers or broadcast's bombastic-buffoons!! Frankly I expected better.

EDIT:

After calming down some and re-listening to Bondy's comments I wish to alter my stance slightly.

On reflection I think Bondy did make an effort to represent the situation accurately and honestly, but just did a pretty sub-par job (To be fair, Bondy is usually pretty tight-lipped, controlled and cautious in his press statements - I just don't think he was very well prepared on this occasion). This whole thing now smacks to me of a lack of internal communication inside the club re: how to handle the press. Bondy did not take into consideration how the wording of his comments might be interpreted and subsequently distorted - plus Josh has clearly put the club under sudden pressure with his actions and the club has responded poorly.

I'm still pissed at how this whole thing is turning out, but to be fair, Bondy is not the only one to blame, and we have still yet to hear any explanation from Josh as to what happened. o_O

So Josh Simpson has failed to meet club expectation, and you want to lay blame at Chris Bonds feet,

Good ******* grief, honestly, imagine if the other 40 odd players took Simpsons attitude on board.

Chris Bond tells the truth and you cant deal with it.
You see I support this club and buy memberships every year, because I want us to be successful and win premierships. If Simpson doesn't want to buy in with the programme then tough s**t, GTFO. If he wants in then wake the * up and get down to business.

Geez I hope beyond all hope that this steels him and he proves all of you who are naysayers wrong. He's coming from a long way back, give him a break. I hope he succeeds and plays 200+ games for us and shows us the star he can be.

I agree but if he chooses the AFL is not the life for him, there is no disgrace it that either.

Some would say differences in Culture/Religion causes a lot of the conflict in the world. I'd say it's more people trying to force their culture upon others. This is a private matter to be worked between Josh and the club but the last thing we should be trying to do is make Josh act like one of us. It'd only cause trouble and I'm sure they'd be another way for Josh to succeed at afl level and I'm confident the club will do what's best for Josh. What's most important is whether he's comfortable at this club. Before he is he has very little chance of succeeding over a long period despite his obvious talent. Give it time and I'm sure it'll eventually sort itself out but forcing our ways upon Josh is the last thing this situation needs.

He can't stop it goes against his character. Yet everyone who doesn't share his views can eat a bag of _____.

Speaking of lurking likers...:rolleyes:

I'm having a terribly rude and irreverant conversation with clogged about Lyon at present in the positive/negative thread. It really is shocking stuff.

I have presented a point of view about Simpson based upon some of my personal experience.

And I contribute about the actual football on a constant basis.

What do we get from you??

Self-indulgent signatures, constant bitching about posters who seem to offend your delicate sensibilities, suck ups to senior, respected posters and gobbies to the mods.

Spanker.

So Josh Simpson has failed to meet club expectation, and you want to lay blame at Chris Bonds feet,

Good ******* grief, honestly, imagine if the other 40 odd players took Simpsons attitude on board.

You see I support this club and buy memberships every year, because I want us to be successful and win premierships. If Simpson doesn't want to buy in with the programme then tough s**t, GTFO. If he wants in then wake the **** up and get down to business.

I modified my original stance because on reflection I thought I was being too hard on Chris. For the record I highly respect the man, and always have. I am not laying the blame at Chris Bond's feet - that is a massive distortion.

Please read my post over - to clarify: my anger was directed at the management of the club (of which Chris is a member) for commenting on individual player discipline issues in the media, which IMPO was not warranted in this instance, if ever.

Please also note that I am not excusing Josh from any of his expectations as an AFL player or team member in my posting - nor would I ever do so. Of course every player on the squad must be held accountable for their actions and keep their place in the team through hard work. If you view this posting in light of my other comments elsewhere on the board and not view it in isolation, you will see that I have been very consistent on this point.

Your deduction is incorrect - I have no problem whatsoever with Bondy telling it like it is, and of course I can 'deal with it' - I only ask that all representations about player welfare by club management be made in the light of maintaining player privacy and keeping internal disciplinary issues out of the media limelight as much as possible, something that I do not believe that the club has done to the best of its ability in this instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of lurking likers...:rolleyes:

I'm having a terribly rude and irreverant conversation with clogged about Lyon at present in the positive/negative thread. It really is shocking stuff.

I have presented a point of view about Simpson based upon some of my personal experience.

And I contribute about the actual football on a constant basis.

I don't
What do we get from you??

Self-indulgent signatures, constant bitching about posters who seem to offend your delicate sensibilities, suck ups to senior, respected posters and gobbies to the mods.

Spanker.

I don't bitch about posters on here I just think you are a knob.

At the risk of sounding like a 'do-gooder' (I'm sure there's much worse things to be called anyway), I would expect the club, like most organisations to apply all principles of social justice in situations like this. It's never black and white. Do you discipline the Grade 1 kid who's always late for school - even though it's because they don't have a car and have to walk 3 km to school each morning, or because Mum's single and sleeps in each morning. Do I tell the little Jehovah's Witness kid off because he's not singing the National Anthem like the rest of the school. I have faith that the Fremantle FC would look at all circumstances, issues such as religion, culture, socio-economic, marital status etc in these instances.

Bondy is one of the most professional performers in the media and has not been one to panic or to lose it in the past. His first statement "May" have been a mistake but he has a hell of a lot of credits in the bank for mine!

Time to concentrate on the game at hand, the Josh situation will be sorted next week.

Ross gave the press conference and just showed Bond how it should have been handled in the first place .
He answered the questions and calmed the waters all in one interview and now with clear air the club has space and time to fix the problem

"He's also a young father with two children, so there's a lot of pressures there and his background, he hasn't walked out of [prestigious Perth school] Hale with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Give the kid a chance, he's only 20 yrs old and father of 2

Disappointing to say the least, purely from the perspective of him taking up a spot on your list that some young keen kid could of made a career out of and now will sadly be a waste. These indigenous kids are forcing recruiters to take notice that they are finicky and hard to "make work" and commit to a rigid lifestyle of hard work and ethic, I wouldn't pick one these days if I were a recruiter.

Why is some Eagles flog coming over here spouting racist dribble? That might be acceptable between sips of chardonnay amongst the leafy greens but not around our club.

I don't bitch about posters on here I just think you are a knob.

Yeah, and you've already threatened violence and I'm going to lose a heap of sleep about that. Not.

Why don't you piss off somewhere or, you know, talk about the football.

muppet.

Ross gave the press conference and just showed Bond how it should have been handled in the first place .
He answered the questions and calmed the waters all in one interview and now with clear air the club has space and time to fix the problem

He also had 24 hours more time to collect himself and present it to the media.

I was initially a bit pissed off with Bond, but now realise that his intentions were fine, but his delivery was a bit off.

I'm surprised by the casual accusations of racism and idiocy by some of you guys that I respect a lot. Simpson has a privileged place on a list, and needs to be invited to take a good hard look at himself. Invited in a culturally sensitive, compassionate way, but invited nonetheless. What he did was indefensible in a team sport. I'd suggest those that somehow think he should be excused because of his background should think through the implications of that.
Excused is probably not the word for it, but given the enormous investment the club makes in every player, I would hope that they take all the new recruit's backgrounds into account when attempting to get the best return out of that investment.

You see I support this club and buy memberships every year, because I want us to be successful and win premierships. If Simpson doesn't want to buy in with the programme then tough s**t, GTFO. If he wants in then wake the **** up and get down to business.

The problem here is that you didn't understand what Bond said or chose to ignore what he said .
His statement to the press was a lie and he got caught out .

RTB stated the truth and calmed the waters ,its that easy and uncomplicated .
Bond by making his statement added fuel to the fire and the looser was Fremantle Football Club as a result .
RTB took the heat out of the argument and has helped the Club and Josh which deal with the problem .
Now everyone has time to reflect on the real issue and find an answer .
Josh Simpson may have started the problem with his actions and there will be consequences as a result but please understand that he is young and he got angry but its not like he stole a car or got drunk and started hitting people .
He has apologised to the Club but now he has to apologise to the playing group and the coaches . Once he has done that he will have to put his head down and regain their respect and that will take some time .
Lets all take a big breath and calm down .
Michael Johnson did a stupid thing and went through a similar situation and has come out a highly respected member of the team and the Club .
Not all is lost and history repeats ,its how we deal with it and the person and I trust the Club to do its due diligence of the situation .

Simpson can play footy he has shown us what he can do but he needs understanding not a firing squad .

The problem here is that you didn't understand what Bond said or chose to ignore what he said .
His statement to the press was a lie and he got caught out .

RTB stated the truth and calmed the waters ,its that easy and uncomplicated .
Bond by making his statement added fuel to the fire and the looser was Fremantle Football Club as a result .
RTB took the heat out of the argument and has helped the Club and Josh which deal with the problem .
Now everyone has time to reflect on the real issue and find an answer .
Josh Simpson may have started the problem with his actions and there will be consequences as a result but please understand that he is young and he got angry but its not like he stole a car or got drunk and started hitting people .
He has apologised to the Club but now he has to apologise to the playing group and the coaches . Once he has done that he will have to put his head down and regain their respect and that will take some time .
Lets all take a big breath and calm down .
Michael Johnson did a stupid thing and went through a similar situation and has come out a highly respected member of the team and the Club .
Not all is lost and history repeats ,its how we deal with it and the person and I trust the Club to do its due diligence of the situation .

Simpson can play footy he has shown us what he can do but he needs understanding not a firing squad .

I don't think racking lines of coke in an alleyway is akin to throwing a tanty because you weren't picked in the starting squad, but that's just me.

As for the rest of your post, I was responding to another poster and might have taken some of it out of context. But I am not in the, gather around the fire and sing kumbaya camp. It was a very immature act on Simpson's part, and yes RTB sorted it in the interview.

Trust me mate, I am calm, no big breaths from me. Here ya go :rainbow:

pssst, loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back