Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chris,

interested in your thoughts on the Essendon list and what you think they'll be targeting this draft / which player you think they might end up with?

Cheers

Chris, do you know anything about Keegan Brooksby? 23 year old 197cm ruck from South Adelaide. Has been exceptional the first two weeks and watching the Good Friday game on 7 right now seems to be reading the ball like a pro and getting hitouts to advantage for fun. Really looks like a good mobile ruck with clean hands, a good tap and seemingly a good tank (and a player who could make the transition up) to me - but this is the first time I've seen him.

Do you know much more about him? Reckon he's any chance at being picked up?

Ditto Tom Fields. 21 year old 192cm defender who's come from QLD and looks to have an absolute weapon of a kick out of defence.

Hey Chris,

interested in your thoughts on the Essendon list and what you think they'll be targeting this draft / which player you think they might end up with?

Cheers

Can't say I've really looked all that closely at specific team needs quite yet, it's still so early.

But, I think a lot of teams will be after the same thing this year - speed. I've said it before, but teams wont be able to bully the likes of GWS, Gold Coast and Port Adelaide for much longer. Their young players are only getting stronger. So they're going to have to start matching their run and speed if they want to compete.

Otherwise, I imagine Essendon would be looking to sure up their KPP and ruck depth even further. A medium forward in that 185cm-190cm range wouldn't hurt either, particularly one who is a little stronger than Winderlich - essentially a Crameri replacement. And a genuine crumbing forward would round it all out nicely, although I'm a big fan of Fantasia.

Chris, do you know anything about Keegan Brooksby? 23 year old 197cm ruck from South Adelaide. Has been exceptional the first two weeks and watching the Good Friday game on 7 right now seems to be reading the ball like a pro and getting hitouts to advantage for fun. Really looks like a good mobile ruck with clean hands, a good tap and seemingly a good tank (and a player who could make the transition up) to me - but this is the first time I've seen him.

Do you know much more about him? Reckon he's any chance at being picked up?

Ditto Tom Fields. 21 year old 192cm defender who's come from QLD and looks to have an absolute weapon of a kick out of defence.

Brooksby has actually been around for a while now. He showed genuine improvement last year, but did miss a chunk of the season with injury which seemed to stop his momentum. To be fair, on Friday he was rucking against a 19 year old debutant. But you're right, he has started the season well in 2014. Not only is he winning 30+ hitouts a match, but he is winning his own ball and having an influence at ground level. There are a few things holding him back. Firstly, his size. It doesn't seem like a particularly big deal, but 197cm is slightly on the shorter side. And with Brooksby, he so far hasn't really shown much versatility in being able to play as a KPP at either end of the ground. And unless you're going to be the #1 ruck at AFL level, you need that ability to go forward and be a threat.

Based on his early season form, you have to have him as a rookie chance. But, I'll be holding off until he backs it up all season.

As for Fields, he has always had an excellent boot on him. Since coming down from Queensland, he's been sort of on the fringe of rookie selection but never quite made the step that he has needed to. Almost in between of key defender and third tall height, if he can settle into a position and perform well this year then he'll be on the fringes again.

if we could get a small/medium forward as good as Winderlich with pick 18 i'll run naked down Napier street.

That's the go though, guys with high footy IQ's who know when and where to lead in the forward line. Anyone who fits that bill Chris25 ?

Chriso, South's Brett Eddy: well-travelled, but still only 23, 194cm 93kgs and has started the year like a runaway train with 16 goals in 3 games; still draftable?

Also, West's Joshua Holliday: 14 goals in 4 games, more even than the very highly-rated Ben Beioley; how tall is he, and what kind of player?

Chriso, South's Brett Eddy: well-travelled, but still only 23, 194cm 93kgs and has started the year like a runaway train with 16 goals in 3 games; still draftable?

Also, West's Joshua Holliday: 14 goals in 4 games, more even than the very highly-rated Ben Beioley; how tall is he, and what kind of player?

Liked the Look of Brett Eddy when he was at Collingwood

if we could get a small/medium forward as good as Winderlich with pick 18 i'll run naked down Napier street.

That's the go though, guys with high footy IQ's who know when and where to lead in the forward line. Anyone who fits that bill Chris25 ?

Haven't had a consistent goal kicking half forward for years.

If only Winderlich's body held up

It's probably not a position which has really stood out to me quite yet. But the small/medium forwards are generally the type who pop up a little later in the year. In terms of #18, I'd be looking towards the likes of Mac Bower, Tom Lamb and Kyle Langford. All three look like quality forwards, with Bower perhaps the most likely to fit what you're after - smarts, leading patterns.

I personally wouldn't go after Eddy. He's a good player, and it's injuries more than anything else which has troubled him so far in his career. But he just strikes me as one of those great state league players, but fringe AFL players. For a bottom side needing immediate help, he'd be a decent option. But the Saints have already done that with Maister, and I don't see the others abandoning their all out youth movement. I'd much rather go for Mason Middleton, who has finally started playing league football. In his draft year, I said he was unlikely to be selected and would be better off playing 2-3 years and trying again as a mature aged player. And it's looking like that might be accurate...

As for Holliday, I don't have a lot on him to be honest. He's played very little SANFL before this season. Based on the eye test alone, I'd put him somewhere in the mid 180cms. But I haven't seen enough to really say whether he is a draft possibility or not.

It's probably not a position which has really stood out to me quite yet. But the small/medium forwards are generally the type who pop up a little later in the year. In terms of #18, I'd be looking towards the likes of Mac Bower, Tom Lamb and Kyle Langford. All three look like quality forwards, with Bower perhaps the most likely to fit what you're after - smarts, leading patterns.

I personally wouldn't go after Eddy. He's a good player, and it's injuries more than anything else which has troubled him so far in his career. But he just strikes me as one of those great state league players, but fringe AFL players. For a bottom side needing immediate help, he'd be a decent option. But the Saints have already done that with Maister, and I don't see the others abandoning their all out youth movement. I'd much rather go for Mason Middleton, who has finally started playing league football. In his draft year, I said he was unlikely to be selected and would be better off playing 2-3 years and trying again as a mature aged player. And it's looking like that might be accurate...

As for Holliday, I don't have a lot on him to be honest. He's played very little SANFL before this season. Based on the eye test alone, I'd put him somewhere in the mid 180cms. But I haven't seen enough to really say whether he is a draft possibility or not.
Ta mate. How bigs Middleton now? Last I saw he was hefty at about 94kgs, but 'only' 192cm, which isn't really key forward size anymore...

Ta mate. How bigs Middleton now? Last I saw he was hefty at about 94kgs, but 'only' 192cm, which isn't really key forward size anymore...

He's still around the 192cm and 95kg mark.

But I don't buy into the idea that every key forward needs to be over 195cm. Jay Schultz and Nick Riewoldt are 'only' 193cm, but are leading the Coleman. It's never stopped Stewart Crameri or Jack Darling either. Yes, those 200cm guys are important in the modern game but there will always be a spot for the slightly shorter forwards around them. And Middleton has shown really good improvement over the past 12 months. He has always been strong, but he has started covering more ground and looks to have improved his general athleticism.

Just using this year's draft as an example, you could easily make a potent forward line out of Peter Wright as the ruckman/full forward, Sam Durdin as the mobile CHF and Mason Middleton as the second deep forward. A good set up is more important than every individual player being the perfect size.

Where I do think the draft is strong, is in those medium/tall utility types. It's not always the type of player that supporters like drafting, but we could see some creative thinking by recruiters this season. There are some talented 185-190cm kids this year, without really settling into a specific role. And in the mid to late rounds, there could be a few Tom Langdon types picked - overaged, maybe not best 22 in the long run but could play early.
Hi Chris, can I assume you put potential AFL rebounders in this utility group?
One thing I'd love at the bulldogs is a genuine rebounder (although some seem to think we'll pick up Zaine Cordy as a F/S rebounding Mackie type)

He's still around the 192cm and 95kg mark.

But I don't buy into the idea that every key forward needs to be over 195cm. Jay Schultz and Nick Riewoldt are 'only' 193cm, but are leading the Coleman.
I agree with you, but as a spearhead ideally he'd be an inch taller.

That being said, I've stood with Nick Riewoldt, and he's certainly taller than 193cm.

Hi Chris, can I assume you put potential AFL rebounders in this utility group?
One thing I'd love at the bulldogs is a genuine rebounder (although some seem to think we'll pick up Zaine Cordy as a F/S rebounding Mackie type)

Yeah, I included those rebounding types.

As for the Doggies, Zaine Cordy is a nice starting point for that position. He's been really good this season. He looks more to be the type of player who does his job every week, without much fuss - as opposed to being a standout. Perhaps more of a Garrick Ibbotson than an Andrew Mackie or Grant Birchall. Someone who might not get much attention from the media or public, but internally is rated quite highly.

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of Liam Duggan from the Jets. He has a great kick on him. Daniel Capiron of Dandenong is arguably the other standout at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That being said, I've stood with Nick Riewoldt, and he's certainly taller than 193cm.
100% agree with this. I've seen him from ground level a bunch of times at open training, intra-club and a NAB Cup game at Casey Fields in the past 18 months and on more than one occasion I've seen him standing next to others who are listed at 193cm-194cm and he's been undoubtedly taller than them. I'd estimate 196cm.

Pretty much no-one on our list has their height adjusted from their initial readings when they first arrive at the club from the juniors and there have been plenty in recent years on our list who I have no doubt at all are taller than they're listed at. In team photo's you'll see some who are listed as the same height who are cm's or even a couple of inches different. Rhys Stanley for instance is still listed at 200cm, despite admitting in an interview in the paper a few years ago that he was 202cm and "didn't want to get any taller", a big interview with Sam Fisher in the HS last year described him as 193cm and 95kg (I dare say having asked him, as he's been listed as 191cm for years), Brendon Goddard has been listed at 189cm for years, but apparently said in an interview or whatever the other day that he is 192cm, I have little doubt that Jason Blake is taller than the 189cm he was listed at throughout his career and pretty much everyone who has seen him up close this year that I've heard from agrees with me that that Daniel Markworth is much closer to 193cm now than the 189cm he is listed at.

Not sure if it's the same at every club, but if it is there could be dozens across the league who are an inch or more taller than they are listed at.

Not sure if it's the same at every club, but if it is there could be dozens across the league who are an inch or more taller than they are listed at.

Patrick Ambrose is listed as 185 on our website, he's a genuine 195... :S

I apologize if you've already had a question like this, but from the U18s who would you have currently as the best users of the ball by foot?

So many of the write ups from Brett Anderson & from other sources list many of the upcoming players as elite disposal by foot; but I am wondering about your personal opinion.

Without any inside information as to how he performed in interviews and the like, it seems to just be the current trend that teams are following in regards to drafting ruckmen. Nobody wants to develop an 18 year old, because it takes 3-4 years until you start to get a return on your investment. They'd rather let them mature in the state leagues. Obviously there are exceptions, but someone like Brodie Grundy was playing senior football already. Whereas Darcy Cameron spent the season in the U18s.

If you look at the ruckmen drafted last year...

#29 - Rory Lobb (20 years old, 12 senior games last year)
#35 - Toby Nankervis (19 years old, senior football in the TSL)
RD #28 - Cameron Wood (26 years old)

That's pretty much it.

Cameron should get an opportunity to play league football this season in the WAFL, and there is no denying his talent for a big guy. So it wouldn't be a huge surprise if teams start to regret not using a late rookie selection on these sorts of guys.

Every club loves looking at state leagues for there ruck men bud, here's a few names to keep an eye out for for the rest of the year;

Keegan Brooksby (SANFL), Sam Baulderstone (SANFL), Sam Tagliabue (VFL), the Cameron kid everyone is talking about, Angus Kurtze (SANFL), Frank Stockley (WAFL)

A bit floating around i say bud

I apologize if you've already had a question like this, but from the U18s who would you have currently as the best users of the ball by foot?

So many of the write ups from Brett Anderson & from other sources list many of the upcoming players as elite disposal by foot; but I am wondering about your personal opinion.

Depends on exactly what you're looking for. Pure accuracy or the combination with a penetrating kick? Sam Mitchell could be classed as having elite disposal, but he wont be pin pointing any 50m passes. The Queenslanders Lachie Weller and Liam Dawson are good examples of that Mitchell type. They might not stand out, but they make very few mistakes.

One player I've always been impressed by is Liam Duggan, and I mentioned him just a few posts above. He can kick a long ball, and accurately too. He'll be used to kick the ball out after a behind more often than not. From WA, Jarrod Pickett and Warrick Wilson are arguably the standouts by foot.

It's still early in the season, so we'll have to wait and see how players develop over the next 6 months and particularly when the pressure goes up a level. At this stage though, there is certainly no James Aish.

Every club loves looking at state leagues for there ruck men bud, here's a few names to keep an eye out for for the rest of the year;

Keegan Brooksby (SANFL), Sam Baulderstone (SANFL), Sam Tagliabue (VFL), the Cameron kid everyone is talking about, Angus Kurtze (SANFL), Frank Stockley (WAFL)

A bit floating around i say bud

State league ruckmen are rarely ever more than depth players though. Daniel Currie and Jack Hannath have done well so far in their AFL careers, but it's unlikely either becomes a true #1 ruckman. I would much rather select the top athletic junior in the country, and develop him myself. Look at Fremantle, would you rather Hannath or Zac Clarke?

I just can't see a heap of clubs lining up for a 28 year old in Angus Kurtze or a 197cm ruck in Frank Stockley or Keegan Brooksby (as good as he has looked). Sam Tagliabue still has a long way to go from what I have seen, but looks an interesting prospect and did the right thing in moving down from NSW. Sam Baulderstone is still probably my favourite, it was always extremely unlikely that he got drafted last year. But another strong season could see him in with a chance as a rookie.

But still, I'd rather squirrel away a couple of young guys on my rookie list and develop them. Darcy Cameron and Josh Miller have both made league debuts as 19 year olds, and I can't say I'm surprised.

What do you think of Isaac Muller from the Bushies? He's been really impressive so far with two BOGs and in the best in his third game. Tapwork is really solid and he seems to be a real competitor but a tad undersized (I think he is 196 100kg or something). Anyway interested to see what you think.

Yeah, I included those rebounding types.

As for the Doggies, Zaine Cordy is a nice starting point for that position. He's been really good this season. He looks more to be the type of player who does his job every week, without much fuss - as opposed to being a standout. Perhaps more of a Garrick Ibbotson than an Andrew Mackie or Grant Birchall. Someone who might not get much attention from the media or public, but internally is rated quite highly.

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of Liam Duggan from the Jets. He has a great kick on him. Daniel Capiron of Dandenong is arguably the other standout at the moment.

Liam Duggan has been used primarily as a mid fielder this year and even spent time up forward. He is a very good kick however he has had a quiet start to the year. Menadue & Viojo-Rainbow do the majority of the rebounding/attacking for the Jets.

Chris what do you think of Mark Kovacevic from the Cannons the dogs are lacking a bit for a future No 1 Ruckman after Minson and he seems pretty highly rated.

Not really one I'm all that interested in at the moment. He strikes me as more of an old fashioned type ruck, but doesn't have the same ability around the ground and up forward as say a Minson or Mumford. Uses his body well in the ruck contests and wins his fair share of hitouts, but not much else. He has admittedly improved over the offseason, and there is a long way to go. But I'll always favour the more athletic young rucks.

What do you think of Isaac Muller from the Bushies? He's been really impressive so far with two BOGs and in the best in his third game. Tapwork is really solid and he seems to be a real competitor but a tad undersized (I think he is 196 100kg or something). Anyway interested to see what you think.

To be honest, I probably haven't seen enough of Muller to really comment. From what I have seen, I agree with everything you said - particularly the competitor part. The good news, is that there is talk of him still growing and could end up over 200cm. If that happens, then he is a real chance. But if he stays at 196cm? Probably unlikely.

Liam Duggan has been used primarily as a mid fielder this year and even spent time up forward. He is a very good kick however he has had a quiet start to the year. Menadue & Viojo-Rainbow do the majority of the rebounding/attacking for the Jets.

For the AIS, he has been playing a fair bit down back and I imagine he will do the same for Metro. But the more he plays forward of centre this year, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Foxtel Cup tonight; Sam Durdin didn't have a great game, but geez Jesse Watchman did himself a fair service.

Played very well, took a couple of strong grabs and kicked two goals in a low-scoring, soggy game.

Foxtel Cup tonight; Sam Durdin didn't have a great game, but geez Jesse Watchman did himself a fair service.

Played very well, took a couple of strong grabs and kicked two goals in a low-scoring, soggy game.

It was Sam Durdin's first game for the year. And there wouldn't be many 17 year old KPPs who are good enough to open the season in the senior side. He'll only improve from here, but for not great conditions his skills looked almost as good as ever. And Jesse Watchman certainly made the most of his limited chances. I generally prefer him to be playing up around the CHF position when he isn't in the back lines. Just seems to have more of an impact. Playing deep, he can crash the packs but sometimes struggles to see much of it.

The other U18 to play was Harry Vick. Only a small midfielder, but has top endurance and is always throwing himself into the packs.

It was Sam Durdin's first game for the year. And there wouldn't be many 17 year old KPPs who are good enough to open the season in the senior side. He'll only improve from here, but for not great conditions his skills looked almost as good as ever. And Jesse Watchman certainly made the most of his limited chances. I generally prefer him to be playing up around the CHF position when he isn't in the back lines. Just seems to have more of an impact. Playing deep, he can crash the packs but sometimes struggles to see much of it.

The other U18 to play was Harry Vick. Only a small midfielder, but has top endurance and is always throwing himself into the packs.
Durdin has immense class, no question, just didn't have a great night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back