Injury/Rehab Dislocated knee

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends.. you haven't given any information on what happened. Did you tear any tendons? How long was it dislocated for?

Doesn't sound like you've even been to a professional yet

edit: 2 weeks if you're superman
Well the doctor at emergency wasn't any good and said be right for next weekend.

Details: haven't had an MRI or anything so no idea on ligaments and such.

Was fully dislocated for 10 seconds tops before it popped itself back in.

Heading to the doctor on Tuesday for a proper opinion.

Well the doctor at emergency wasn't any good and said be right for next weekend.

Details: haven't had an MRI or anything so no idea on ligaments and such.

Was fully dislocated for 10 seconds tops before it popped itself back in.

Heading to the doctor on Tuesday for a proper opinion.
Yeah, definitely go see a doctor. Sounds like you could've been very lucky. Have you been icing it since? That's pretty much a must

Yeah been icing it for 20 minutes every 3-4 hours.

Had it in a knee brace too.
Good good. That's pretty much all you can do, and also have it raised whilst seated a few times a day which will also help reduce swelling.

Done both knees twice, I'd say more like 4-6 weeks. Although the problem is that everytime you dislocate it, it makes you more likely to do it again. You're better off taking a few weeks extra and making sure it is 100% so it doesn't pop out again. Life with loose kneecaps is s**t let me tell you.

You need to start developing quads of steel to keep those kneecaps in place and tracking properly.

My advice, get a scan ASAP.

Popped my knee cap out during a game (had to be popped back in right there which hurt like a bitch) and was assessed by 2 club physios to check for other possible ligament damage (ie: wiggling knee around ACL/PCL check) and both cleared me of any significant damage besides the knee cap.

Month later, knee still feels weak and unstable so went to another outside physio and he too cleared me of ACL/PCL damage.

Think you know where Im going with this, but yer even if Doc Larkins himself checked your knee out go get a scan anyway. Turns out I ruptured my ACL and tore my patella tendon and didnt do anything about it for about 6 weeks.

Done both knees twice, I'd say more like 4-6 weeks. Although the problem is that everytime you dislocate it, it makes you more likely to do it again. You're better off taking a few weeks extra and making sure it is 100% so it doesn't pop out again. Life with loose kneecaps is s**t let me tell you.

You need to start developing quads of steel to keep those kneecaps in place and tracking properly.
My advice, get a scan ASAP.

Popped my knee cap out during a game (had to be popped back in right there which hurt like a bitch) and was assessed by 2 club physios to check for other possible ligament damage (ie: wiggling knee around ACL/PCL check) and both cleared me of any significant damage besides the knee cap.

Month later, knee still feels weak and unstable so went to another outside physio and he too cleared me of ACL/PCL damage.

Think you know where Im going with this, but yer even if Doc Larkins himself checked your knee out go get a scan anyway. Turns out I ruptured my ACL and tore my patella tendon and didnt do anything about it for about 6 weeks.
Thanks guys, will definitely get the scan. The knee just doesn't feel right.

Will also be working on my quads because * feeling that pain again.

The knee is all good structure wise. Just gotta do some physio and I'll be back in a month!
Good to hear. I popped mine out two days ago. I got it back in myself about 5-10 mins later. Just waiting for the swelling to go down a bit before I get an x-ray.

I did my other knee 7 years earlier playing tennis and it was out for 3 hours. I think it depends how long the knee is out for as to how long recovery will be. When I did it the first time, it took almost 3 weeks for the swelling to fully die down, and I was on crutches for that full 3 weeks as well. Hobbling around Port Douglas with a swollen knee in December is not fun. Again, from memory, I did strength exercises at home every day and went to the physio a few times. About 3-4 months later the knee was back to normal. I'm hoping this is the case for me again this time. It's just that first 2-4 weeks after it happens is a bit of a waiting game. But that's just my experience; I don't know many people who have dislocated knees. Good luck with your recovery.

Good to hear. I popped mine out two days ago. I got it back in myself about 5-10 mins later. Just waiting for the swelling to go down a bit before I get an x-ray.

I did my other knee 7 years earlier playing tennis and it was out for 3 hours. I think it depends how long the knee is out for as to how long recovery will be. When I did it the first time, it took almost 3 weeks for the swelling to fully die down, and I was on crutches for that full 3 weeks as well. Hobbling around Port Douglas with a swollen knee in December is not fun. Again, from memory, I did strength exercises at home every day and went to the physio a few times. About 3-4 months later the knee was back to normal. I'm hoping this is the case for me again this time. It's just that first 2-4 weeks after it happens is a bit of a waiting game. But that's just my experience; I don't know many people who have dislocated knees. Good luck with your recovery.
Thanks mate. Good luck to you too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The knee is all good structure wise. Just gotta do some physio and I'll be back in a month!
I wouldn't rush back into it. High recurrence rate with patella dislocations. How old are you? Find a good physio and make sure he/she gives you exercises to work on glute medius strength (hip muscle) as well as VMO strength.

I wouldn't rush back into it. High recurrence rate with patella dislocations. How old are you? Find a good physio and make sure he/she gives you exercises to work on glute medius strength (hip muscle) as well as VMO strength.

Going to the physio on Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back