is this Steels year to go elite?

Remove this Banner Ad

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would love Steele to go to the same level as Beams,Swanny and Pendles. Bucks has give him the challenge, I think he can take it up that notch we all want to see consistently

Here's the article from afl.com.au:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-20/buckleys-challenge-to-steele

Quotes I found interesting from Bucks:
"I personally believe that he's got a long way to go, that he's got a lot development and scope left in him."

"He'll find me hard to please in regard to his performances because I think he's got a lot of talent, and there's still a lot of upside for him."

Much of the Sidebottom hate on here seems to stem from unreasonable expectations and the fact he is constantly compared to Beams who was in the same draft class, which is unfair at times.

I don't think we'll see him get to the heights attained by Pendles, Swan, and Beams, but there's nothing wrong with appreciating the performances of a very good and durable player. Seems to be well-liked at the club too.

Here's the article from afl.com.au:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-20/buckleys-challenge-to-steele

Quotes I found interesting from Bucks:
"I personally believe that he's got a long way to go, that he's got a lot development and scope left in him."

"He'll find me hard to please in regard to his performances because I think he's got a lot of talent, and there's still a lot of upside for him."

Much of the Sidebottom hate on here seems to stem from unreasonable expectations and the fact he is constantly compared to Beams who was in the same draft class, which is unfair at times.

I don't think we'll see him get to the heights attained by Pendles, Swan, and Beams, but there's nothing wrong with appreciating the performances of a very good and durable player. Seems to be well-liked at the club too.

Steele was Pick 11 and Beams was Pick 29

I have my Doubts he will get to that Level.

He is a very good Foot Soilder
I recall thinking when he and Beamer were taken by us that he had more upside than Beams maybe it was that much talked about TAC cup final and the bag he kicked not sure

Steele was Pick 11 and Beams was Pick 29
watts and kruezer were pick 1 and swan was 70 billion.

not having a go man, but draft pick order holds very little weight and is a lazy argument.

Steele has the ability to be a fukin great player, having said that if he remains at his current level he'll still be a solid 200 game great of the club....or something

Right now he's at their level. If he does, and keeps this form up, then we are a serious threat for a flag.

To think I wanted to have him traded last year.

watts and kruezer were pick 1 and swan was 70 billion.

not having a go man, but draft pick order holds very little weight and is a lazy argument.

Steele has the ability to be a fukin great player, having said that if he remains at his current level he'll still be a solid 200 game great of the club....or something
Where was I arguing:rolleyes:

I was just saying where they went

Right now he's at their level. If he does, and keeps this form up, then we are a serious threat for a flag.

To think I wanted to have him traded last year.
At least your man enough to admit it,plenty others were going down that track;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that for me currently really lets him down is his kicking, just floaters and helicopters galore.

Has an elite tank and game sense, just needs to brush up on the finer elements.
His very biggest fault - and I'd imagine the thing that drives team mates quitely insane - is his consistant short passing to team mates at ankle level o_O:confused::rolleyes:

His very biggest fault - and I'd imagine the thing that drives team mates quitely insane - is his consistant short passing to team mates at ankle level o_O:confused::rolleyes:

Yeah, He does seem to kick short too many times but he puts it the right spot

He could be, at 23 years old he is deceptively young and alot of players like Keiran Jack and Ryan Griffen dont become elite till they are 25-26+ years old.
Im just glad he is playing good footy and we haven't used him as a tagger or what some other teams do with first round picks when they are performing.

Last edited:
Is an elite runner and settling him on the wing this year is the reason for his brilliant form. No doubt he can become elite. Different sort of elite as he's not a pure mid like Swan/Beams/Pendles. The hawks have shown how important it is to have really good outside runners, which we've struggled with the past 2 seasons. Steele, Heritier, Young and hopefully Seedsman provide us with this.

I have no problem except that he needs to weight his short passes better.
Hes not the lone ranger there jonbe our kicking across the team is frustrating to watch, id think bucks will push to improve it considering his own ball delivery skills,i agree with most its all in the head.Hopefully we can turn it about

Hes not the lone ranger there jonbe our kicking across the team is frustrating to watch, id think bucks will push to improve it considering his own ball delivery skills,i agree with most its all in the head.Hopefully we can turn it about
Understood and agree joff but that ankle pass is a hamstring twanger.

Yes Sidey's well known for that.
My guess is that fatigue may also play a bit of a factor. He does more work than anyone in the team getting back very deep to help the backs and then pushing up along the wing into the forward line to present an option. By the time he gets the ball streaming forward of centre he's already clocked up some serious yardage to get that possession and then lacks a little on the pass.

At 23 he still gets pushed off the ball too often. I know he is not an in-and-under player, but he still has a light frame and poor core strength. That and his kicking is what's stopping him from being in the elite bracket at this stage of his career
Disagree. One on one contests are probably his biggest strength as he stays on his feet and positions his body to advantage himself.

And his kicking is excellent. Its his decision making with the kicking that sometimes let's him down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back