GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, California, USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
Been doing a lot of thinking over "Planegate" and have been fascinated by how the club has handled the situation and by the reactions from posters on our site and the news media.

As to who best has handled this controversy, I'd award the gold medal to Coach Lyon. In his post-game presser after the Sydney loss, he spoke firmly and candidly, yet sensitively and empathetically about Josh Simpson's struggles and respectfully alluded to the cultural, attitudinal and professional issues at play. Coach Lyon sounded like a father figure -- a stern, yet patient one.

First, a little perspective: Josh Simpson did not maim, rape, rob or kill anyone. He elected to not travel with his co-workers to a mandatory work function. Whether he made the decision because he was pouting about being named as an emergency instead of being included in the 22, or had personal issues, remains to be seen.

Neither is a criminal offense.

It's disappointing to us, the Purple Army, because we want him to be as committed to playing for the club as we are, barracking for it. We want Josh to succeed, as do his teammates and coaches. We all want to embrace Josh, not just for the flashes of electric pace he shows, but also because of that smile and because his remarkable story about how far -- literally and figuratively -- he has come to be where he is, is akin to others at the club we love, such as Ryan Crowley, Chris Mayne, Hayden Ballantyne and Michael Walters.

As a teacher of teenage boys, it scares me sometimes, knowing AFL draftees are often just one to two years older than my Year 11 students. It's safe to say a good number of mine aren't ready for university after they graduate the next year, despite how much their other mentors and teachers and their family members mold, nurture, love and yes, discipline them.

Unlike Josh, my boys aren't coming from the most rural of backgrounds; most aren't duty-bound to inescapable, complex, ancient ethnic and cultural traditions 97 percent of their fellow countrymen can't be expected to completely understand; and most aren't trying to live up to the expectations and demands of being a professional athlete while being a father to two young children and partner to the mother of said children.

Stop for a second and just think: How well, as a 20-year-old, would you handle that load? And how would you handle it with an entire state's sports fans watching you struggle with it?

Yes, the dilemmas don't excuse Josh's unwise professional decision-making. They don't erase his previous missteps. They may explain, though, his present inability to comfortably manage the many facets of his life -- while still growing up.

Two years ago, I bought online a white Freo jumper -- but waited until I learned what number Josh was assigned, until I chose his No. 14. I wear it with pride. I'll do it again when we meet North Melbourne this week. I remain captivated by his story, inspired by his pursuing his dream, still believe in his ability as a footballer and fervently hope he will become the man he wants to be.

But to paraphrase Coach Lyon, only Josh Simpson can determine his own destiny. And as with the growing boys I teach, no matter how much their behaviors may frustrate, confound and annoy me, I refuse to give up on them.

And like our esteemed senior coach, my patience with Josh Simpson is being tested, but hasn't run out.

MrBomb

Debutant
Apr 5, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
No one knows if there are any cultural reasons for him not being on that flight either. Or why he missed it, whether he meant to or not. It's always a risk drafting an Indigenous player, you have players who mess around off the field, and then you have players like Jetta who just wanna play

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Been doing a lot of thinking over "Planegate" and have been fascinated by how the club has handled the situation and by the reactions from posters on our site and the news media.

As to who best has handled this controversy, I'd award the gold medal to Coach Lyon. In his post-game presser after the Sydney loss, he spoke firmly and candidly, yet sensitively and empathetically about Josh Simpson's struggles and respectfully alluded to the cultural, attitudinal and professional issues at play. Coach Lyon sounded like a father figure -- a stern, yet patient one.

First, a little perspective: Josh Simpson did not maim, rape, rob or kill anyone. He elected to not travel with his co-workers to a mandatory work function. Whether he made the decision because he was pouting about being named as an emergency instead of being included in the 22, or had personal issues, remains to be seen.

Neither is a criminal offense.

It's disappointing to us, the Purple Army, because we want him to be as committed to playing for the club as we are, barracking for it. We want Josh to succeed, as do his teammates and coaches. We all want to embrace Josh, not just for the flashes of electric pace he shows, but also because of that smile and because his remarkable story about how far -- literally and figuratively -- he has come to be where he is, is akin to others at the club we love, such as Ryan Crowley, Chris Mayne, Hayden Ballantyne and Michael Walters.

As a teacher of teenage boys, it scares me sometimes, knowing AFL draftees are often just one to two years older than my Year 11 students. It's safe to say a good number of mine aren't ready for university after they graduate the next year, despite how much their other mentors and teachers and their family members mold, nurture, love and yes, discipline them.

Unlike Josh, my boys aren't coming from the most rural of backgrounds; most aren't duty-bound to inescapable, complex, ancient ethnic and cultural traditions 97 percent of their fellow countrymen can't be expected to completely understand; and most aren't trying to live up to the expectations and demands of being a professional athlete while being a father to two young children and partner to the mother of said children.

Stop for a second and just think: How well, as a 20-year-old, would you handle that load? And how would you handle it with an entire state's sports fans watching you struggle with it?

Yes, the dilemmas don't excuse Josh's unwise professional decision-making. They don't erase his previous missteps. They may explain, though, his present inability to comfortably manage the many facets of his life -- while still growing up.

Two years ago, I bought online a white Freo jumper -- but waited until I learned what number Josh was assigned, until I chose his No. 14. I wear it with pride. I'll do it again when we meet North Melbourne this week. I remain captivated by his story, inspired by his pursuing his dream, still believe in his ability as a footballer and fervently hope he will become the man he wants to be.

But to paraphrase Coach Lyon, only Josh Simpson can determine his own destiny. And as with the growing boys I teach, no matter how much their behaviors may frustrate, confound and annoy me, I refuse to give up on them.

And like our esteemed senior coach, my patience with Josh Simpson is being tested, but hasn't run out.

Really well said (much like the coach), I hope your comments are passed onto the Fremantle football club and to Josh, they just may help.

purplesoul

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Maybe there is a positive in this. To spit the dummy at being dropped would suggest that josh does have the fire in the belly to succeed. He probably just needs to learn how to handle the disappointments and understand there will be future opportunities if he continues to work hard.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
20 year old with 2 kids... of course there are going to be slip ups.

He's got a fantastic environment to learn and mature in. We'll see him in purple again soon enough.

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
No one knows if there are any cultural reasons for him not being on that flight either. Or why he missed it, whether he meant to or not. It's always a risk drafting an Indigenous player, you have players who mess around off the field, and then you have players like Jetta who just wanna play

Last I checked, none of the Brisbane five who all claimed homesickness after last season and nominated other clubs for trades are Indigenous.

Was it as big a risk for Brisbane to draft and develop them?

Was it a big risk for us to recruit the non-Indigenous Colin Sylvia and sign him for the number of years and amount of money we did, only for him to show up out of shape at pre-season training, play one unimpressive pre-season game, then foolishly get reported and banned for two weeks in the WAFL at a time we most desperately need experienced midfielders and small forwards when Mick Barlow's hurt, Nat Fyfe was suspended, for a time David Mundy was in doubt and Michael Walters is on the shelf?

purplesoul

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Listened to the RTB presser for a second time. Very impressive - could not have been done much better if scripted.

Then again, I'm sure the club knew the question was going to come ....

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
Took an American whose never been within a bulls roar of Yalgoo or, probably, Aboriginal culture, to show up some of the muppets and their ignorant whitefella opinions on this board.

Very well said GilG :thumbsu:

Thanks, mate. True, I've never been to Yalgoo, but have experienced Aboriginal culture on visits to Uluru and Kata Tjuta and in Far North Queensland, in Cairns. I've also read -- and highly recommend -- one of the most enlightening sports books anywhere, "The Liam Jurrah Story" and am reading an Aboriginal Australian literary anthology.

Josh Simpson's adaptation struggles also are similar to those of older American professional baseball players trying to revive or extend their careers in Japan and experience culture shock. And just as some non-Indigenous Aussies say it may be risky to draft an Indigenous footballer, Japanese reporters have written and fans have voiced the same opinions about imported American "gaijin" players who they say can't fit in to playing and living the Japanese way.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks, mate. True, I've never been to Yalgoo, but have experienced Aboriginal culture on visits to Uluru and Kata Tjuta and in Far North Queensland, in Cairns. I've also read -- and highly recommend -- one of the most enlightening sports books anywhere, "The Liam Jurrah Story" and am reading an Aboriginal Australian literary anthology.

Josh Simpson's adaptation struggles also are similar to those of older American professional baseball players trying to revive or extend their careers in Japan and experience culture shock. And just as some non-Indigenous Aussies say it may be risky to draft an Indigenous footballer, Japanese reporters have written and fans have voiced the same opinions about imported American "gaijin" players who they say can't fit in to playing and living the Japanese way.

My late wife was Aboriginal, my kids are Aboriginal, I've been intimately involved in Aboriginal culture for 40+ years, I've lived in and been a councillor for Yalgoo Shire and I've also, coincidentally, been a Gaijin in Japan until quite recently.

So yeah, I hear yah mate. :thumbsu:

Hence, a few peanuts on this board piss me off big time.

My sig is just one example of the blinkered, idiotic thinking of quite a few here.

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
My late wife was Aboriginal, my kids are Aboriginal, I've been intimately involved in Aboriginal culture for 40+ years, I've lived in and been a councillor for Yalgoo Shire and I've also, coincidentally, been a Gaijin in Japan until quite recently.

So yeah, I hear yah mate. :thumbsu:

Hence, a few peanuts on this board piss me off big time.

My sig is just one example of the blinkered, idiotic thinking of quite a few here.

So I can count on you to give me a tour of Yalgoo WHEN, not if, I next come to WA?:thumbsu:

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Josh Simpson may have started the problem with his actions and there will be consequences as a result but please understand that he is young and he got angry but its not like he stole a car or got drunk and started hitting people .
He has apologised to the Club but now he has to apologise to the playing group and the coaches . Once he has done that he will have to put his head down and regain their respect and that will take some time .
Lets all take a big breath and calm down .

Just wondering: has he apologised to the club?

22 others

Cancelled
May 24, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The bloke had a serious f-up, was really soft what he did. Cant imagine he's much more than one hiccup away from being given the boot.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Good to see some conviviality and sense returning to the board after a stroppy couple of days.From my own point of view as far as Josh Simpson's situation is concerned we've just got to support the bloke.
None of us have enjoyed the weekend's footy and related issues but have no other intelligent option but to support the club's professionalism and have faith that as Lyon pointed out no player will leave our club because they were unsupported.
I don't actually understand what RTB is talking about when he makes reference to cultural or health issues requiring Josh to return home on what sounds like a fairly regular basis;but I don't feel as though following the club and paying a membership entitles me to an explanation of what seems likely to be someone's private business.
I agree that Josh's decision making has been untimely for both himself and the club.I'm confident the club has the personnel and the mechanisms to turn it all around.We have enough skills and intelligence to get a pretty charged and awkward scenario pointed back in the right direction and get a talented young footballer back on track.
Interesting post GilG and very easy to agree with your reasoned tolerance.A question more or less on topic,I'm interested to hear whether you regard the young tackers you teach as being racially and religiously tolerant??Is the group monocultural or more diverse and that sort of thing.
The only game in town for us is getting Josh in a strong frame of mind,committed to our footy club and playing great AFL footy for years to come!
That only happens if everyone has real respect.:thumbsu::thumbsu::rainbow::rainbow:

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like he might have to go for you guys.

Having a Sook over getting Dropped is Pathetic
Know what else is pathetic? Drafting Marley Williams. And standing by a player who hit someone because they tried to big note themselves. I could give you some stories that include unethical and unlawful acts from that man. Josh Simpson has done nothing of the sort or nothing of comparison.

I like Collingwood but come on, you should look at the way your club deals with known criminals...

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
The bloke had a serious f-up, was really soft what he did. Cant imagine he's much more than one hiccup away from being given the boot.
Take it some where else because posters like you are not welcome .
Unlike other clubs we support our players and believe in our Clubs systems .
Our culture is there to support and guide young players .We believe in helping young men be better all round people and footballers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back