SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Melways13

Senior List
Mar 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've played div 1,2 & 4 in the EFL and I've played div 2 & 3 SFL. All at senior level, division 1 EFL is just another league of footy but unless your a top 2 team in div 2 the standard falls away very quickly! I played one year in division 4 EFL at a club that played finals, and I can easily say that both clubs I played for in the SFL would have pumped them.

The question is depth, there are blokes in div 3 SFL teams that could slot into a division 1 EFL team easily. But how many teams have them? And how many?
Localfoo

Melways13

Senior List
Mar 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Localfoots you are kidding? I have also played div 1 and 3 EFL (seniors) and div 2 & 3 SFL and there would be maybe 2-4 players in div 3 SFL who would be in the best 22 for any club in the top 2 divs in the EFL.
  1. Most if not all Div 3 and 4 EFL sides would beat Div 2 & 3 SFL sides easily.
  2. No player in div 3 SFL would get a look in at a div 1 club in the EFL.

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
You must of missed the part where I said I've played div 3 SFL and div 1 EFL.

Also went down to the Chelsea Heights vs. Heatherton game today, * me if that is division 1 SFL footy no wonder they are the laughing stock of all other leagues.

Nov 10, 2007
Punt rd
AFL Club
Richmond
Localfoots you are kidding? I have also played div 1 and 3 EFL (seniors) and div 2 & 3 SFL and there would be maybe 2-4 players in div 3 SFL who would be in the best 22 for any club in the top 2 divs in the EFL.

Not far off the mark melways.

I think there is always a player or two in each lower div team that is up to playing at a higher level though.

South Belgrave won the flag in div 4 efl last year. I reckon they would have won div 2 SFL comfortably. They had half a dozen players at least who would be more than welcome in any div 1 SFL side.

Thewiz99

Debutant
Mar 31, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I believe only Chris Mouritz from CPL could play EFL Div 1.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The VAFA just smashed the living daylights out of the EFL.......

Mouritz is 26 years old, and was a member of the SBMT A and B grade flag sides, and was a member of the VAFA rep sides with the likes of Jack Hellier (Collingwood VFL Captain) etc

So yeah, your wrong.......

Rhett Moor would still walk in to most Div 1 EFL sides, the EFL regularly recruits out of Div 1 Southern, pretty obvious he'd be up to it considering as of last year he was probably the best defender in Div 1 Southern.

As for Div 2 EFL sides? Lol, you understimate some of the cream that exists in Div 3, there really isn't much seperating the top sides of Div 3 to the top sides of Div 2 apart from a crappy 1 team up 1 team down promotion system.

CPL and Mt Waverly would make the finals in Div 2 imo. There's at least 5 players in each one of these sides that would get games at Doncaster/Parkdale.

Last edited:

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't think you can take much from the Interleague games when half the blokes selected for the team don't even show up!

Nos_4r2

Senior List
Apr 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Time for Round 3 Tips

Sandown v South Yarra - by 30 points
Ashwood v Dandenong - by 42 points
Hallam v Mt Waverley - by alot
CPL v Lyndale - by 27 points
Black Rock v Endeavour Hills -by 38 points

jake17

Debutant
Sep 5, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A few interesting games this week.
For mine:
Sandown vs South yarra- black rock exposed South yarras lack of fitness last week with a 9 goal last term. The cobras would be looking to replicate this with a strong showing, especially at home.
Ashwood vs dandenong- kind of a game of who has gotten worse. Both sides have had a horror start to 2014 and will be desperate to get back in the winners circle.
Hallam vs mt Waverley- I think this could be another one sided affair favouring mt Waverley.
CPL vs Lyndale- could be made to look silly here, but I feel that the pumas will claim some big scalps this year, starting with this game. Big battle looms with kumetaitis vs. moor.
Endeavour hills vs. black rock- game that could go either way. The falcons have hit the ground running in 2014 after a quiet last season. Watching black rock rd 1 against CPL I noticed that they are a bit light on in the forwards department, but rely moreso on their mids to kick their goals.

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Sandown vs. South Yarra - 11 points
Could go either way but Sandown at home, surely they can't go 0-3.

Ashwood vs. Dandenong - 20 points
Very interesting game here. Ashwood kicked 4 goals in the last term against Mt Waverley last week where as Dandenong only kicked 1 goal after half time for a grand total of 3 for the match and have only registered 8 majors for the season. Maybe showing a little fitness and fight? Or maybe Mount just falling asleep due to boredom. Dandenong have put up scores of 3.4 & 5.6 so far this year where as
Ashwood have registered 11.21 & 5.7
Accuracy cost them against Endeavor Hills round 1 and should probably be 1-1. One team will go 0-3 here and that makes it just about impossible to make finals, Ashwood are a better side than the results suggest and I think this game could put
them back on track and maybe sneak into that 5th spot on the ladder come finals time. Dandy are my hot tip for the spoon!

Hallam vs. Mount Waverley - 80+
Mount should do another demolition job here, hard to register 3x 100+ wins in a row but wouldn't put it past them. In my opinion they are the best team in the division, there midfield is the best going around, they are solid down back and Jarrod Wilkin I have seen playing at CHB now. Not a bad bloke to have down there. And with Gough in form down forward it's hard to see anyone stopping them. Watched them last week against Ashwood and they are fit, quick, there skills and ball movement are top notch and they are just generally hard to fault at this stage. Top 2 finish will set them up at another crack at that illusive flag.

CPL vs. Lyndale - 4 points
Can't wait to see the result of this game! I will make the journey down to Roy Dore reserve Saturday to watch this match and I'm licking my lips. Can't really split these 2 at the moment and I'm going purely on home ground advantage to pick a winner here but I think it will be decided by less than a kick.

Endeavor Hills vs. Black Rock -16 points
Another interesting game, will be good to see how the Falcons go against another quality opposition. I have Black Rock penciled in at 4th by finals time but they will need to win games like this to do it, the Falcons will be up and about after 2 wins on the trot but I see them falling away mid year to miss finals. Quality should prevail in a tight game.

My updated ladder prediction after round 2.

1 - Mount Waverley
2 - CPL
3 - Lyndale
4 - Black Rock
5 - Ashwood
----------------------------------
6 - Endeavor Hills
7 - Sandown
8 - Hallam
9 - South Yarra
10- Dandenong

Hope everyone enjoyed there Easter break!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Who has the best midfield in div 3 currently?
I would have to say Mount Waverley from what I saw last Saturday. I haven't seen much of CPL but from the names they look experienced, but slow. Lyndale would be up there too.

Spotts

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Long time reader first time poster- mt Waverley will go to water when it counts. Happens every year.

Do CPL still not pay players?

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Hahaha CPL not paying players ? Spare me.
They have a solid midfield on paper but I think they will be too slow.

Mount play finals footy like St Kilda but there side is completely different from the past 5 years. Looking forward to round 6.

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
After CPL vs Mt Waverley round 6, CPL play Dandenong and Ashwood.
Mount Waverley's first 2 opponents in the same order, if CPL go down to Mount and then fail to beat Dandy or Ashwood by as much as Mt Waverley did (130-120) it will be clear who the best team in division 3 is.

Fair assessment?

Spotts

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Having seen Lyndale first hand last year, I noticed that they tend to implode when the going gets tough. Have they changed that this year?

Rookie
Apr 23, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Before anyone gets carried away about how the SFL is against other leagues, put it into perspective. It's a s**t league. Simple. Minimal Ex AFL players. If the players are good they goto the EFL, Casey-Cardinia, Ellinbank or MPNFL for good cash. No other metro league gets pulled like the SFL. SFL players wouldn't get the same $ in other leagues as they do in the SFL so they stay, get paid, boost their ego's and are happy being big fish in a small shitty pond. Sorry, but players get paid in the worst division of the worst league in Melbourne. Mt Waverley even pay their reserves coach, so if you don't reckon Mt Waverley pay players, you're kidding yourself, and if you reckon Mt Waverley are on their own by paying players, you're still kidding yourself. Players at CPL playing 1's, getting paid some $ and possibly winning a flag OR playing in MPNFL ie Bonbeach, Chelsea, Edi-Asp in the 2's getting $0. Overpaid players. s**t umpires. s**t league admin. No juniors. No point system.

localfoots

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Before anyone gets carried away about how the SFL is against other leagues, put it into perspective. It's a s**t league. Simple. Minimal Ex AFL players. If the players are good they goto the EFL, Casey-Cardinia, Ellinbank or MPNFL for good cash. No other metro league gets pulled like the SFL. SFL players wouldn't get the same $ in other leagues as they do in the SFL so they stay, get paid, boost their ego's and are happy being big fish in a small shitty pond. Sorry, but players get paid in the worst division of the worst league in Melbourne. Mt Waverley even pay their reserves coach, so if you don't reckon Mt Waverley pay players, you're kidding yourself, and if you reckon Mt Waverley are on their own by paying players, you're still kidding yourself. Players at CPL playing 1's, getting paid some $ and possibly winning a flag OR playing in MPNFL ie Bonbeach, Chelsea, Edi-Asp in the 2's getting $0. Overpaid players. s**t umpires. s**t league admin. No juniors. No point system.

Agree with most of what you said, not sure the big deal with Mt Waverley paying there reserves coach but anyway. I would assume just about every club would pay all there coaches in some way. I know for a fact CPL pay most if not all there Seniors, Lyndale pay a few of there top midfielders, Dandenong pay a few as well ( would love to know how much there spending on H. Kiki, worst transfer of the season ) haha
I also know Black Rock pay a few and so do Sandown. I'm not convinced Mt Waverley do?

MountPrettyBoy seems convinced they don't.

bigwilly

Senior List
Jul 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Jealous? Couldn't get a dollar in the SFL? Obviously got a big beef with the league and to make that your first post on bigfooty tells me you have issues

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

It's local footy bud at the end of the day, a lot of players just want to have a kick with there mates. That's why they stick around or cross over too the SFL.
If I was a player getting better money in the SFL, than what another league was offering, I know what I would be taking! A lot of guys that tend to chase the money, don't tend to stick around long!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back