Tom Liberatore vs Tom Rockliff

Libba or Rockliff?

• Tom Liberatore

Votes: 140 44.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 177 55.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Libbas been well down this season so at the moment you'd have to say Rocky, but to be fair Rocky has just turned 24 (had to google this, was a bit surprised still thought he was like 22) and is genuinely coming into his prime and Libbas still only 21, and is just starting to realise that he wont always have it so easy now that he is coping a fair bit of attention. We really need Griff 100% fit and our other young mids to step up now so they can take some heat off him.

Maybe the bias in me but I still reckon Libba should turn out the better player in the long term, thats nothing against Rocky though because he is a jet.

Says this

Bumps Higgins/Thomas thread based on four rounds

I bumped that thread with a genuine comment on how the pair's careers had panned out. Early on in that thread it was the clear consensus Higgins was better, then later on it was Thomas. And this season Higgins has played the better football.

Nothing to do with Libba vs Rockliff.

I bumped that thread with a genuine comment on how the pair's careers had panned out. Early on in that thread it was the clear consensus Higgins was better, then later on it was Thomas. And this season Higgins has played the better football.

Nothing to do with Libba vs Rockliff.

You took a four game sample where Thomas was well down on his normal form and not completely fit as a means of saying that Higgins is now the better player, then you try to claim that you are a guy that likes to look at the 'big picture' to judge players.

IMO that was Libba's best game of the year yesterday. Loves games against Melbourne that's for sure. I'd still take Rockliff's year over Libba's though. I think what we have seen this year shows that Rockliff's all round midfield game is better than Libba. Libba is the better clearance player though.

IMO that was Libba's best game of the year yesterday. Loves games against Melbourne that's for sure. I'd still take Rockliff's year over Libba's though. I think what we have seen this year shows that Rockliff's all round midfield game is better than Libba. Libba is the better clearance player though.
I think that's it in a nutshell. They're too different to get an accurate gauge of "who's better". Rockliff is the better all-rounder - hurts inside, hurts outside and hurts up forward - whereas the hurt Libba can put on the opposition inside is truly unbelievable, but he's limited in the other aspects of his game. I'd have Rockliff ahead but the fact is there's much more to it than, "They're both young midfielders."

the stats for 2014 so far:

---------------------rockliff-----------------libba
disposals:------------28.3-------------------23.4
marks:---------------5.6--------------------3.7
tackles:--------------8.4--------------------8.4
cont. possesions:-----10.9-------------------11.4
clearances:-----------4.4--------------------6.0
rebound 50s:----------3.7--------------------2.0
inside 50s:------------2.3--------------------2.4
goals:----------------1.0--------------------0.4
goal assists:----------0.3--------------------0.9

very tight at this stage

Still think they're very different players and impact the game in different ways
Both very, very good players and absolute assets to their respective teams.

If Rockliff keeps up his form he'd a big chance to make at least the AA squad. He was fantastic against Carlton. Had the hard tag from Carrazzo all night and yet still had a big impact. In the end Carrazzo just couldnt keep up with Rockliff's gut running in the 4th. He is averaging the most tackles a game in the league as well. He is a machine.

If Rockliff keeps up his form he'd a big chance to make at least the AA squad. He was fantastic against Carlton. Had the hard tag from Carrazzo all night and yet still had a big impact. In the end Carrazzo just couldnt keep up with Rockliff's gut running in the 4th. He is averaging the most tackles a game in the league as well. He is a machine.

Great game from Rockliff, but Carrazzo is a shadow of his former self. Not even Carlton's best tagger anymore.

If he keeps this up all year it would be disappointing if he didn't make it.

Rockliff has left Libba behind in the dust. Rocky is one of the most rounded players in the AFL. He gut runs, wins clearances, rebounds from the d50, pushes forward and is a scoring threat, tackles, and spreads very well considering he is often tagged and takes a lot of marks. Still has 3-4 years until he is in his prime. Only negative on Rocky is that he isn't captain. Leadership is insane and leads from the front and puts his body on the line when needed much like Voss.

He's left Libba behind in the dust?

Rockliff's been excellent, but to suggest Libba's been left in the dust is insanely idiotic. He's had a couple of off performances this year, but he was the leading player at stoppages in 2013 and he's been outstanding more often than not in 2014.

Rockliff has left Libba behind in the dust. Rocky is one of the most rounded players in the AFL. He gut runs, wins clearances, rebounds from the d50, pushes forward and is a scoring threat, tackles, and spreads very well considering he is often tagged and takes a lot of marks. Still has 3-4 years until he is in his prime. Only negative on Rocky is that he isn't captain. Leadership is insane and leads from the front and puts his body on the line when needed much like Voss.
No doubt Rockys a gun and is a more well rounded player than Libba at the moment. No way has he left him in the dust though, Libba is still performing admirably, and still has another level to hit this year IMO. Also gotta remember Rockys 24, that is the start of his prime. Compare Rockys year this year with Libbas in 2 years and we will see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also remember that Rocky played a game with Gastro and had a week off due to gastro as well. That has effected his performances for at least a month imo. including the the week he had off. I admit I was probably a bit biased in saying Rocky had left him in the dust but overall he is a better footballer imo. Libba will be the best clearance player in the league for a decade but there is more to footy than just winning clearances.

Also remember that Rocky played a game with Gastro and had a week off due to gastro as well. That has effected his performances for at least a month imo. including the the week he had off. I admit I was probably a bit biased in saying Rocky had left him in the dust but overall he is a better footballer imo. Libba will be the best clearance player in the league for a decade but there is more to footy than just winning clearances.
And there's more to Libba than winning clearances.

No doubting Rocky's a terrific player though. Love watching him play, he's so well rounded and confident as a player. Could take over the captaincy right now with no problems, too.

Brilliant poll.
About as even as you can get. I'd probably swing just towards Rockcliff for his leadership and the fact that he is a bit more aggressive, but Libba is still a fantastic young player.

Both players should be on track to make the AA squad, Libba I think will just miss out on the team but Rocky should get in the team, unless Libba fires in the 2nd half of the year or one/both of them just falters for some insane reason.

Rockliff has played some insane games this year and is a well rounded gun who can do it all really. Libba has become a much more well rounded player, not as much as Rockliff obviously, but has added a lot more than just contested ball to his game this season, and he has added some leadership qualities, but Rockliff is the more natural leader obviously and is miles ahead on that front. Rockliff is better at the moment, but Libba is pretty hot on his heels. And both are still pretty young. Guns.

Libba

Disposals Per Game Rockliff

3.4 Marks Per Game 5.1
0.3 Goals Per Game 0.9

9.4 Tackles Per Game 9.1

2.8 Inside 50s Per Game 2.3
0.8 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2

13.1 Contested Possessions Per Game 12.3

74.9% Effective Disposals % Per Game 69.5%
2.7 Clangers Per Game 4.1

6.4 Clearances Per Game 5.3
1.8 Rebound 50s Per Game 3.9
One Percenters Per Game 1.3
0.3 Bounces Per Game 0.6

Very Tight.

Libba Rockliff

24.3 Disposals Per Game 28.2
3.4 Marks Per Game 5.1
0.3 Goals Per Game 0.9
9.4 Tackles Per Game 9.1
0.3 Bounces Per Game 0.6

Very Tight.

Libba Rockliff

24.3 Disposals Per Game 28.2
3.4 Marks Per Game 5.1
0.3 Goals Per Game 0.9
9.4 Tackles Per Game 9.1
0.3 Bounces Per Game 0.6

Very Tight.

both averaging over 9 tackles for busy midfielders is very impressive.

Back