Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Gibbke you let a few basic facts get in the way of a good rant also. There was a lot more players paid for by the league than just Mitch Thorp. Would the club have survived the season without the money from AFL Tas ? It was reported in the local press that AFL TAS may have given South Launy so much money that their player payments exceeded the salary cap rules set by AFL Tas themselves, but I doubt they were the only club in that boat. South certainly had a good side last year but would they have won the flag without all that financial help ?
There's a difference between buying a winning side like 1970's North Melbourne, and keeping your core group of kids who then go on to win a flag. I don't know the particulars of this assistance (none of you do either), but to say South bought the premiership is a crock of s**t. If the difference between a flag and mere improvement was Mitchell Thorp, great, consider us aided, but considering the decline of other teams, their own improvement, last week's Storm display, and Max Brown's assertion that it's the most skilful group of players he's ever seen in Tassie football (the same group who once sucked for South), never mind the assistance other teams have gotten in the past, which moots the point a bit, then credit where credit's due...

There's a difference between buying a winning side like 1970's North Melbourne, and keeping your core group of kids who then go on to win a flag. I don't know the particulars of this assistance (none of you do either), but to say South bought the premiership is a crock of s**t. If the difference between a flag and mere improvement was Mitchell Thorp, great, consider us aided, but considering the decline of other teams, their own improvement, last week's Storm display, and Max Brown's assertion that it's the most skilful group of players he's ever seen in Tassie football (the same group who once sucked for South), never mind the assistance other teams have gotten in the past, which moots the point a bit, then credit where credit's due...

The point of the discussion was how AFLTas manipulate the competition. The question follows, 'why support the successful clubs & try to wreck the rest'
AFLTas money was used to propel South Launy, then they pulled the plug on the club, why? Why Prospect, why not help South through their financial situation? Why continue to rip North Hobart apart when they are the only group in the Hobart city license? Why support Clarence & Burnie so much? Why force Devonport to stay one year when they are getting axed next year? Why did the NTFL refuse to let Devonport back in to that comp? etc etc

I just hope the Parliamentary enquiry show the public what they have. Show us the money trail.

The point of the discussion was how AFLTas manipulate the competition. The question follows, 'why support the successful clubs & try to wreck the rest'
AFLTas money was used to propel South Launy, then they pulled the plug on the club, why? Why Prospect, why not help South through their financial situation? Why continue to rip North Hobart apart when they are the only group in the Hobart city license? Why support Clarence & Burnie so much? Why force Devonport to stay one year when they are getting axed next year? Why did the NTFL refuse to let Devonport back in to that comp? etc etc

I just hope the Parliamentary enquiry show the public what they have. Show us the money trail.
And your exact comment implies that South won the flag because of an injection of cash. That's what I'm commenting on, something you said first, so stop going on about me being off topic.

I will add though, again in answer to a comment of yours, that South are out because they couldn't meet the TSL's criteria with five years to achieve it. That was the deal every team knew at the start. You would think that keeping an incumbent club would be preferable to axing at the first opportunity, so they got some bucks. It looks as though the situation wasn't fixable in its existing form, so the TSL cut this, and offered an option to merge, which South rejected. Your own assertion that successful clubs are supported and the weaker are not, is clearly compromised by South getting cash, because we were anything but successful. You also blame the TSL for South's own inabilities and for their decision to leave - don't forget they were already a merged club, so it's not like any souls would have been sold here. Prospect? Geography, plus whatever deals and promises painted them in a favourable light - as ALL submissions for entry into any league anywhere include. There's not much that isn't fair enough here - my team won the flag, off their own bat I say, don't get to defend it or play in the Foxtel Cup, and rejected a joint team proposal I personally would have been cool with, but they weren't. The TSL gave us a hand, and we didn't capitalise.

As for everything else, it's not what I was answering. Most of it has been covered in the 45 pages and 3 years this thread has been going for...

South Launceston's debt was not from the current TSL but carried over from the old State wide league and NTFL. That's why Patto went in to "fix" the situation as he presided over the spending in those days. And while Thorpe may well have been paid overs, he'd been there for three years and the whole group was developed from kids around him. The only recruiting they did was young kids from other TSL clubs who weren't getting a game and NTFA players. They didn't go on a spending spree and get "big name" players from other clubs, they had a three year plan that came to fruition in two.

South Launceston's debt was not from the current TSL but carried over from the old State wide league and NTFL. That's why Patto went in to "fix" the situation as he presided over the spending in those days. And while Thorpe may well have been paid overs, he'd been there for three years and the whole group was developed from kids around him. The only recruiting they did was young kids from other TSL clubs who weren't getting a game and NTFA players. They didn't go on a spending spree and get "big name" players from other clubs, they had a three year plan that came to fruition in two.

Funny plan that, win a flag & die!
As far as the spending goes, the parliamentary enquiry hasnt finished yet. Their may yet be some tasty bits to come out.

Well said Big H, that sums the situation up and well done to South on last year Thorpe galvanised and moulded a group of ok players into a flag team. Some other Clubs could learn from this and look after & develop their own with a plan rather than being a side show with Ex -AFL old players playing one offs every year

Funny plan that, win a flag & die!
As far as the spending goes, the parliamentary enquiry hasnt finished yet. Their may yet be some tasty bits to come out.

The scope of the enquiry relates to the spending of the 500k that AFL Tas gets from the government. I agree it should be wider but it isn't. So a lot of the information that is being revealed is actually outside that scope and therefore not relevant to the enquiry.

The scope of the enquiry relates to the spending of the 500k that AFL Tas gets from the government. I agree it should be wider but it isn't. So a lot of the information that is being revealed is actually outside that scope and therefore not relevant to the enquiry.

Maybe. :cool:
What happens if they find accounting/tax irregularities? Do they ignore what comes to them or do they get the facts & report it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe. :cool:
What happens if they find accounting/tax irregularities? Do they ignore what comes to them or do they get the facts & report it?

Lol. Its been my experience that football clubs use accounting sytems and practices that are not found in any other other legal industry.

Lol. Its been my experience that football clubs use accounting sytems and practices that are not found in any other other legal industry.

Maybe you should 'spill the beans' at that inquiry too!!:p

Any 'illegalities' found would need to be reported. Whether actually illegal or just doubtful governance issues.
Whatever the case it would need to be looked at, At least by the AFL if not the police.

I recon if their was nothing to see, the inquiry would have ended ages ago.

That is the stated scope, however I think you will find that the committee chair and committee can take the path they so choice as evidence is brought forward. They've already deliberated on much more than the spend of the government grant.

Easter Friday Scores (not 100% Confirmed)

Lauderdale 10 18 78
Western Storm 14 10 94

At Lauderdale

Checking the quarter by quarter scores seems like the wind was favoring one end of the ground. Storm kicking 5 goals to the Bombers 1 in the last quarter new team will be there or there about this year

Clarence: 20 16 136
Hobart City: 13 14 92

At Queenborough Oval

Last edited:
Easter Friday Scores (not 100% Confirmed)

Lauderdale 10 18 78
Western Storm 14 10 94

At Lauderdale

Checking the quarter by quarter scores seems like the wind was favoring one end of the ground. Storm kicking 5 goals to the Bombers 1 in the last quarter new team will be there or there about this year

Clarence: 20 16 136
Hobart City: 13 14 92

At Queenborough Oval

Yep absolutely blew a gale down there, Lauderdale blew there chances in the 3rd quarter kicking 4.12 and the Storm were always going to run over them in the last despite trailing by 13 at 3/4 time. Hard to get a gauge on either side really in those conditions but both would be thereabouts come finals time I reckon.

Yep absolutely blew a gale down there, Lauderdale blew there chances in the 3rd quarter kicking 4.12 and the Storm were always going to run over them in the last despite trailing by 13 at 3/4 time. Hard to get a gauge on either side really in those conditions but both would be thereabouts come finals time I reckon.

If today's game is any indication of what we have to look forward to with TSL 2014 don't think I will bother. Worst 1st qtr of football I have seen for quite some time. What the hell was windy doing with a spare man back while you are kicking downhill with a 4 goal breeze?

If today's game is any indication of what we have to look forward to with TSL 2014 don't think I will bother. Worst 1st qtr of football I have seen for quite some time. What the hell was windy doing with a spare man back while you are kicking downhill with a 4 goal breeze?

You'll see better games than that throughout the year though, haven't seen a game played in wind like that for some time, 43 scoring shots at one end to 9 at the other is just crazy. Lauderdale will be kicking themselves for wasted opportunities in that third quarter as should have been 5 or 6 goals up at the break and then in with a chance.

Easter Friday Night Scores

North Launceston 21 18 144
Launceston 10 5 65

Devonport 15 7 97
Burnie 10 14 74

Boil over on the coast, well done Devonport.... Burnie 0 - 2 who had picked that, I take it Launceston have lost a few players from last year and of course North Launceston Improved from 2013

Easter Saturday Score

Glenorchy 23 19 157
Tigers 8 8 56

Could be a long year for The Tigers as most pundits do not have Glenorchy making the top 5 and they hand the boys from Kingston a 100 point beating.

Last edited:
North seem to have improved a lot. I'm yet to see them play but a quick look at their list seems to me they've started to mature from the young group that won the 18's about 3 years ago. Haven't really added any big names (bar Tarrant) but developed some good young kids.

North seem to have improved a lot. I'm yet to see them play but a quick look at their list seems to me they've started to mature from the young group that won the 18's about 3 years ago. Haven't really added any big names (bar Tarrant) but developed some good young kids.
Good to see the faith in kid's is paying off "The Big H", also looks like Devonport have Improved, at this early stage it might be "The Tigers" (Kingborough) that will be the weak link for a few seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back