Dimma was right when he said:

Remove this Banner Ad

Our window opens soon.
I think hes right. In two years the core of our list will be coming into their best footy together. Griff, Elton and Astbury showing improvement has given me hope, as I felt we were gathering the midfield talent but had invested a lot of picks and time into a bunch of duds.

Thought Conca showed a bit last night but start to play some of these kids in their future position.

I just can't agree.

Sorry to single out this bit from you Tigs, when a LOT of posters who are saying the same thing. You're one of the more reasonable posters, so perhaps I can get a more reasonable discussion from disagreeing with you.

I really enjoyed watching Geelong play Hawthorn yesterday. And one of the KEY features of these teams is their flexibility. Let me list some players who don't have a single best position. Hodge. Bartell. Roughead. Burgouyne. Steve Johnson. Enright kicked 2 goals. * me, Stokes is a midfielder this year. Kelly is a backman, again. These top end talents play where their team needs them most. That's one of the things that makes them top end talents.

Currently, our top end talent are a bit one-dimensional. We would take a step forward if they weren't. I believe Hardwick is doing the right thing by playing Ellis, Conca, Martin, Vlaustin etc out of their best position at AFL level. They wouldn't get the same development in the VFL.

(I also thought Conca has showed a bit, and is one of our better players this season.)

I just can't agree.

Sorry to single out this bit from you Tigs, when a LOT of posters who are saying the same thing. You're one of the more reasonable posters, so perhaps I can get a more reasonable discussion from disagreeing with you.

I really enjoyed watching Geelong play Hawthorn yesterday. And one of the KEY features of these teams is their flexibility. Let me list some players who don't have a single best position. Hodge. Bartell. Roughead. Burgouyne. Steve Johnson. Enright kicked 2 goals. **** me, Stokes is a midfielder this year. Kelly is a backman, again. These top end talents play where their team needs them most. That's one of the things that makes them top end talents.

Currently, our top end talent are a bit one-dimensional. We would take a step forward if they weren't. I believe Hardwick is doing the right thing by playing Ellis, Conca, Martin, Vlaustin etc out of their best position at AFL level. They wouldn't get the same development in the VFL.

(I also thought Conca has showed a bit, and is one of our better players this season.)
I don't disagree with you there. The issue I'm having is with a guy like Vlastuin is playing ZERO minutes in the midfield. I want him to be splitting his time up 50/50 especially while Thomas is still in the team. We know Vlastuin is good off half-back but he can be an absolute bull in the middle. I'd like to see him be a midfielder who you can push down back when required. Ellis is the same. He can play half-back or wing.

Martin can play forward/midfield. I don't think he has the concentration to be a backman. He'll leak too many goals and I prefer him having a game like the Brisbane one with less than 20 touches but 5-6 shots at goal where he has the energy to chase rather than racking up 30 cheap touches off half-back which is what he was doing. He was playing like a seagull.

Conca is the only worrying one I think in this regard. Not sure he can play anywhere else. Though he did rest forward against the Lions last year with some good success.

Lennon is another I like off half-back and we know we can always throw him forward.

McDonough I'd prefer we developed him in the midfield/forward (Chapman role) in the future, or he takes Houli's spot off half-back. Just because the 2 together is a bit short.

I was confident I'd get a good discussion out of you, Tigs :thumbsu:

The issue I'm having is with a guy like Vlastuin is playing ZERO minutes in the midfield.

Absolutely. That makes no sense and even goes against the philosophy of developing these young blokes into more complete players.

Martin can play forward/midfield. I don't think he has the concentration to be a backman. He'll leak too many goals

Personally, I'm struggling with my disappointment in Martin.

I thought he could become a genuinely elite player, but it's starting to look like he really is just a one trick pony. It's a pretty good trick that he has, but these comparisons to champions like Mark Ricciutto are just silly, unless Martin can prove me wrong. I don't like being negative about players on BF, but I'm finding it really difficult not to vent about how gutted I feel watching Martin carelessly amble after the opposition as they stream into open space. Ricciutto never did that.

Conca is the only worrying one I think in this regard. Not sure he can play anywhere else. Though he did rest forward against the Lions last year with some good success.

I actually like what Conca brings to the forward line. He can find the goals. Hits the packs hard. Tackles and harasses. Not a bad like-for-like rotation swapping Arnot with him.

What do you think of Ellis getting the odd tagging job? I really liked his game on Gibbs.

I was confident I'd get a good discussion out of you, Tigs :thumbsu:

Absolutely. That makes no sense and even goes against the philosophy of developing these young blokes into more complete players.
Exactly. He obviously doesn't have the tank otherwise he could kick Thomas out of the side. But he was playing some minutes in the centre last year and I'm sure his tank didn't get worse. Doubt he spent the summer eating donuts.

Personally, I'm struggling with my disappointment in Martin.

I thought he could become a genuinely elite player, but it's starting to look like he really is just a one trick pony. It's a pretty good trick that he has, but these comparisons to champions like Mark Ricciutto are just silly, unless Martin can prove me wrong. I don't like being negative about players on BF, but I'm finding it really difficult not to vent about how gutted I feel watching Martin carelessly amble after the opposition as they stream into open space. Ricciutto never did that.
My concern with this is he's learning off bludging senior players and now he's heading towards senior player territory himself. I thought the role he played on Thursday is perfect for him because I actually saw him chase because he still had some energy plus he caused some massive damage on the scoreboard. This should be how he's developed. Then he can go through the middle to give Lids/Cotch a chop out and they can go forward and continue the havoc up there. Maybe give him a role on some rebounding HBF's to work on his defensive side. (Maybe Birchall or Hodge this week?)

I actually like what Conca brings to the forward line. He can find the goals. Hits the packs hard. Tackles and harasses. Not a bad like-for-like rotation swapping Arnot with him.
Worth giving that a try. I really like Conca. A lot of what he does goes unnoticed I think. He's been one of our better players this year. Was actually shocked when Dimma singled him out after the GC game. Would love to see Arnot get some minutes in the centre at some point but just happy for him to keep getting game time for now.

What do you think of Ellis getting the odd tagging job? I really liked his game on Gibbs.
Don't mind him tagging to work on his 2-way game. Something Grigg should be doing as well more often. Ellis will be a good player. Needs to toughen up if he wants to go from good, solid B-grader to A-grader though. Not sure that's something you can teach. Seems a bit worried to go back with the flight since he got KO'd in the Norf game last year.

Back on the topic of the thread, I reckon Ellis will take a small step backwards this year before really coming out as a genuinely good player next year. Needs to work on the defensive side of his game, which his doing this year, so I'm not surprised his disposal numbers are down.

Back on the topic of the thread, I reckon Ellis will take a small step backwards this year before really coming out as a genuinely good player next year. Needs to work on the defensive side of his game, which his doing this year, so I'm not surprised his disposal numbers are down.

Agree on Ellis. Keep in mind he didn't really suffer any 'second season blues' and probably took more of a step forward in his development than many would have expected. He's still a young kid and will have good and bad days while he tries to find more consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back