faquito

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Barcelona FC, Arsenal
I don't like that bump at all. Its a dog act. Ward wasn't even contesting the ball, and Douglas looked right at him as he lined him up. Got him slight front on and high. Would you guys be happy if Geelong did the same to Wingard this week?

Yep.
Could have been excused if Ward was even slightly gesturing towards Smith during his run. Went limp before hitting the ground.

Good to see young Greene stepping in instanty to remonstrate. Unlucky for him that Crows players fight back when they have a number advantage.

Canoogs

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Not Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Be surprised if it's graded intentional. He didn't intend to make head high contact unlike Bickley. The Fyfe collision was graded as negligent, that's likely what Douglas will get.
I think that the MRP have leant towards intentional for any off the ball hits. The argument being that you can't claim that you didn't intend to make contact.

My understanding is also that the high contact doesn't have to be intentional to make the conduct intentional. This is why I think he's in trouble. Personally I don't like this head clash thing, but it also wasn't obvious to me whether the damage done was from the bump, or from a head clash in this instance. I expect that the outcry when he's charged will be equal to the massive media coverage when Kane was charged with his incident... right?

Kane did get massive media coverage, didn't he?

Yes?

.... Ward was jogging in line with the play and Douglas lined him up from a while back and sniped him ....
The Bickley influence.

Edit: Looking back a few pages I see Bickley has already been mentioned a few times (surprise!). Stuff it, I'm leaving my post in

Last edited:
I think that the MRP have leant towards intentional for any off the ball hits. The argument being that you can't claim that you didn't intend to make contact.

My understanding is also that the high contact doesn't have to be intentional to make the conduct intentional. This is why I think he's in trouble. Personally I don't like this head clash thing, but it also wasn't obvious to me whether the damage done was from the bump, or from a head clash in this instance. I expect that the outcry when he's charged will be equal to the massive media coverage when Kane was charged with his incident... right?

Kane did get massive media coverage, didn't he?

Yes?

In the same round Fyfe was suspended Taylor Hunt received a one match suspension for laying a shepherd on Daniel Rich and it was similar to the Douglas bump. This is what Douglas will face. I don't think Douglas has any prior reports (other than accidental contact with an umpire) so will get discounts for good conduct and an early plea. He might go for high impact but discounts will still favour him. 1 match.

AFL MRP
Taylor Hunt, Geelong, has been charged with a Level Two Engaging in Rough Conduct Offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Daniel Rich, Brisbane Lions, during the third quarter of the Round Two match between the Geelong Cats and the Brisbane Lions, at the Gabba on Sunday March 30, 2014.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Brisbane Lions Football Club, the incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), medium impact (two points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two Offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.
AFL MRP

fine wines

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2014
Riding a bolt of lightning
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton
52013_08c23d87fdbfef63d9cf209cf3bce0b7.jpg

Doc Larkins was talking about hamstring injuries on the Eddie/Dermie show on Foxtel last night (in hindsight the only worthwhile bit of the show). Obviously it was related to the Judd incident but there was heaps of interesting stuff from the Doc.
Three things I remember were:
1. the torn hamstring never fully recovers, there is always scar tissue.
2. the slight lean forward Judd had after Crameri nudged him is that which you adopt when taking off running. It is strongly linked to hammy injuries and is known as 'the sprinters' injury'.
3. On return (whenever that is) the chance of re-injury is 30% in your first game, 10% in your second, still reasonable in your third, then settles down.

How's that old football saying go, when they think they're ready give them another week off and when they're sure they're ready give them another week off?

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Doc Larkins was talking about hamstring injuries on the Eddie/Dermie show on Foxtel last night (in hindsight the only worthwhile bit of the show). Obviously it was related to the Judd incident but there was heaps of interesting stuff from the Doc.
Three things I remember were:
1. the torn hamstring never fully recovers, there is always scar tissue.
2. the slight lean forward Judd had after Crameri nudged him is that which you adopt when taking off running. It is strongly linked to hammy injuries and is known as 'the sprinters' injury'.
3. On return (whenever that is) the chance of re-injury is 30% in your first game, 10% in your second, still reasonable in your third, then settles down.

Ye gods, I'll have my fingers crossed for Gus Monfries then.

Lou Zyffer

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2005
SE Qld
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Other teams? There's other teams?
Or Hitchy or any of those guys. All those years of watching footy and I never realised the injury can never fully recover.

That's why guys who tear a hamstring then often have a history of the same injury and need to be carefully managed. Should put to bed any hopes of Gus facing the cats this week. Unfortunately.

Canoogs

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Not Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In the same round Fyfe was suspended Taylor Hunt received a one match suspension for laying a shepherd on Daniel Rich and it was similar to the Douglas bump. This is what Douglas will face. I don't think Douglas has any prior reports (other than accidental contact with an umpire) so will get discounts for good conduct and an early plea. He might go for high impact but discounts will still favour him. 1 match.

AFL MRP

AFL MRP
I hope you're right Frodo. I do think Douglas will get suspension, but don't think there was all that much in it (at least not enough for a massive 4 week job). The severity of the concussion is probably the deciding factor.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
Richard Douglas will probably get a week or two but damn I hate suspensions caused by a lack of awareness from the guy who got hit

Nothing tough about running thru a guy when you are out of his vision, closest thing to a king hit these days.

And here i was thinking that Douglas had balls.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
It will be nice to see Hawthorn and Geelong smash eachother in a close contest for 4 quarters to soften the cats up for us.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

t0mmO

All Australian
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It will be nice to see Hawthorn and Geelong smash eachother in a close contest for 4 quarters to soften the cats up for us.

As well as seeing a Hawks win. I would much rather play Geelong after a win, than a loss

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As well as seeing a Hawks win. I would much rather play Geelong after a win, than a loss
And no reports etc as the players that come In as replacements against us always seem to have a point to prove.

I usually think along those sorts of lines. But this time, I say whatever. It's our time. Bring them on, full strength and on the rebound.

BornPort

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFL:"How can we make some more money? I know! We'll make season ticket holders and members of the clubs pay more to get in to certain games."
Nek Minnit
AFL:"Why people no attend games?"

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I usually think along those sorts of lines. But this time, I say whatever. It's our time. Bring them on, full strength and on the rebound.

Yep, totally agree. We don't need to catch Geelong when they're down. At home, with 2 extra days break, I expect us to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back