Sando: where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

But yet Sando keeps saying defence is king and he doesn't want it to be all attack..
He said again today he would prefer we keep the opposition to less than GWS scored and we kick less..
It's confusing..
He often talks about not liking to get in a "shoot out" which I partly think is because he thinks without Walker and Tippett that there isn't enough firepower to win such a battle. Hopefully when Tex comes back, to go along with Eddie, Pods, Jenkins and midfielders such as Douglas, Danger, Sloane, Grigg and Kerridge who can kick a goal or two he'll ease off a bit.

I think the Crows had the 2nd highest spread of goal kickers in 2012, I think that's something they'd be pushing for again.

The game plan is designed to be attacking with full acceptance that when a turnover occurs damage will be done.
Which is great if you're Geelong.... but how did it work out for the Kangas last year?

Again, the right game plan is the one that fits the attributes of your list.

That isn't lack of speed, that's lack of two way running or our defensive structures falling apart.

Foot speed is only a minor part of the problem.

When opposition players run, carry, bounce, then score goals....repeatedly....without a Crows player getting anywhere near the opposition ball-carrier....in regards to your reply? - I have to agree to disagree. And quite strongly, might I add.

Appreciate the reply though.

It was mainly re Adelaide approaching Bomber Thompson re the role previously held by the late Dean Bailey - a rumour fuelled by Trigg being seen in Melbourne. It was given some credence as a possibility by Caroline Wilson, who said that James Hird WILL be back as Essendon's coach next year and Bomber won't work with Hird any more, although his appetite with coaching has been whetted again by his current role. Wilson also said that Bomber doesn't like the busy lifestyle of Melbourne and might be happy to move interstate. In addition Thompson and Sando have a close association going back a long way.

It's all speculation and no fact at this stage, but as Caroline Wilson said, this would be the time of year that you would be trying to tee up coaches/assistant coaches etc for next year, not wait until the end of year when every key prospect has already been snapped up.

I'd be happy to bet Stiffy_18's left knacker that we have approached Thompson to fill the role formerly held by Bailey, as IMO he would be the best quality prospect potentially available. Whether he is interested in either the position and moving interstate to do so -only time will tell.

Let's hope that this rumour eventually turns into fact. :)

Never, ever heard of this rumour. Not one bit. But I'm on my knees praying to dear God that you're right.
Oh, Happy Easter to you all.

I've heard on very good authority that we are heavily into Bomber for the "Director of Coaching" gig. Then again, the same source told me Tippett was re-signing soooo.....

(maybe he said Tippett was resigning?? Lol)

Sent from my luxury yacht in the Bahamas

It's all speculation and no fact at this stage, but as Caroline Wilson said, this would be the time of year that you would be trying to tee up coaches/assistant coaches etc for next year, not wait until the end of year when every key prospect has already been snapped up.

I'd be happy to bet Stiffy_18's left knacker that we have approached Thompson to fill the role formerly held by Bailey, as IMO he would be the best quality prospect potentially available. Whether he is interested in either the position and moving interstate to do so -only time will tell.

Let's hope that this rumour eventually turns into fact. :)

Bl00dy well nailed it.

Well said macca23 :thumbsu:.

Since the press comes from basketball and having coached a lot of BB at district level I can tell you that's not a flaw in the way the crows are running it but it's a flaw in running the press. It's well known that if you move it quickly through hands to runners you can expose the press and score easily against it. The Flaw in the game plan is not recognizing when to pull the press back and reset your defense. The Crows are not alone in this.

Post of the year so far. Better teams than we have played the past two weeks will make us pay dearly if we stick to the current gameplan.

Unlikely.

I thought the way we played in rounds 4 and 5 was eerily similar to rounds 1, 2 and 3.

The difference was the pressure on the ball carrier in rounds 4 and 5 was much less.

We overused the ball yesterday, but got away with it.

If you possess the ball 429 times in a final you're either playing against training cones, or you're about to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that old training drill we did as juniors? Two lines of players goal to goal, see which line could get the ball from one end to the other the quickest? Assuming decent ball handling, it was always the line who possessed the ball the least that won.

I know it's simplistic, and we have presses, zones and floods to deal with these days, but it does illustrate the old adage.... don't over possess, kick over lines and run hard for overlap.

Maybe I'm just caught in the nineties, but this high possession, soccer/basketball game of waiting for the open player, just doesn't suit us. Watch Hawthorn do it and you realise not only how much they run, but also how much they value running to create space (unrewarded running). Some of their off the ball movement is fantastic... we don't do it, which is why when we try this tactic we are slow and turn it over too much.

Slippery is right. Gameplan is the same as rounds 1-3. The difference is the absolute lack of pressure from poor opposition. We were always going to win this group of 4 games before the bye. But our overuse has still been chronic, St Kilda and GWS have just made us look like millionaires by applying zero pressure. Hell GWS didn't even bother with a tag on Danger. People are even saying Petrenko looks a good player.

Its when we play finals bound opposition who pressure the ball carrier that our overuse will result in the cycle of turnovers => chasing fruitlessly on the rebound => scoreboard pressure + exhaustion mounting => more turnovers => more exhaustion => run over badly. We simply lack the skills and poise for such excessive ball handling so pressure plus overuse will inevitably lead to us coughing it up.

Normal service will resume against Collingwood unless we alter our overuse and go more direct ala 2012

All the in-close handballing and short kicks in the backline has me worried about how we will cope when faced with better teams again.

Are our skills up to it?
To be honest there were already signs of it breaking down yesterday - after half time. GWS applied greater pressure and some pretty sloppy stuff resulted.

It was also pretty obvious they started picking their way through our zone pretty easily.

We only won the second half by 3 goals. We didn't turn up for the first half of Q1. In effect we played 1 1/2 quarters of really good winning football.

About the same as the first 3 rounds, only difference was the opposition was not able to punish us.

All the in-close handballing and short kicks in the backline has me worried about how we will cope when faced with better teams again.

Are our skills up to it?
We still look most dangerous when we move the ball quickly by kicking.

We need to learn to control the momentum against better teams. Ie keep possession & slow the play when opposition run on. Flood if need be if a tide.

We still look most dangerous when we move the ball quickly by kicking.

We need to learn to control the momentum against better teams. Ie keep possession & slow the play when opposition run on. Flood if need be if a tide.
Port are A at this

Which is great if you're Geelong.... but how did it work out for the Kangas last year?

Again, the right game plan is the one that fits the attributes of your list.

..and it's not so great if you are Geelong 2006. It got us to within a kick of a grand final in 2012. We've lost some important players since Tippett , Tex , Doughty (yes a valuable player) so now we teach the next lot.

..and it's not so great if you are Geelong 2006. It got us to within a kick of a grand final in 2012. We've lost some important players since Tippett , Tex , Doughty (yes a valuable player) so now we teach the next lot.
We didn't play this style in 2012 we played contested long kicking style

Since the press comes from basketball and having coached a lot of BB at district level I can tell you that's not a flaw in the way the crows are running it but it's a flaw in running the press. It's well known that if you move it quickly through hands to runners you can expose the press and score easily against it. The Flaw in the game plan is not recognizing when to pull the press back and reset your defense. The Crows are not alone in this.

The difference between a basketball and football press is the objective.

In a basketball press, the purpose isn't to steal the ball or to create a turnover (yes these things are very useful and great) but the objective is to take them out if the offensive set up. Get the players and the ball in unfamiliar locations on the court to encourage them to take a bad shot.

The objective in football is to create a turnover and keep the ball in the area. As once teams break that press, they increase the odds on getting a fast break going forward.

When opposition players run, carry, bounce, then score goals....repeatedly....without a Crows player getting anywhere near the opposition ball-carrier....in regards to your reply? - I have to agree to disagree. And quite strongly, might I add.

Appreciate the reply though.

When we are on attack and turn the ball over our guys will be 20m out of position to defend. It would take superman like speed to run down a player with a 20m head start. Stop the turn overs and half our problems are solved.

When we are on attack and turn the ball over our guys will be 20m out of position to defend. It would take superman like speed to run down a player with a 20m head start. Stop the turn overs and half our problems are solved.

Right on mattrox. Jury is out on how our skills go against opposition known for harassing. We've definitely sharpened up imo, but difficult to gauge the improvement. We're running harder too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back