NEAFL- 2014

Dogwarna

Sep 30, 2012
FFS can we give this AFL clubs run this comp garbage a spell. I told u all on here a long time ago the lions we're the last to know the new make up of the comp. And that came from the horses mouth. At the end of the day its a compromised comp just by the make up of the draw.
On the Canberra teams they have either totally underestimated the comp or they can't attract the quality players to Canberra..For you lads in Canberra the 3 teams in qld had a pre season mentality to train to a level that will be competitive against a full quota of AFL listed reserves team..
On resources, now I was in Darwin watching nt v asp and Aspleys travelling party was bare boned...no interchange programs, no champion data stats and only 1-2 trainers..cdm perkins even did the running..
On the sharks v redland game..what a cracker...Redland are a team that has a real crack and really ran over the Sharks late..early on Bombers moved the ball beautifully off half back and had the match winner in Pfeiffer..Enjoyable game

Hornets Nest

Feb 6, 2014
There are a few Hornets people on this forum mate (you would know who they are) that were very happy to tell everyone who their recruits were, how competitive they would be. Doesn't mean it comes straight from the coaches mouth but are still representative of the football club. And in any case, why shouldn't they?? The 2 other "local" sides are doing okay, with exactly the same resources. Are you inferring that the Hornets are doing as well as everyone thought they would??
No. They're underperforming. Just don't remember any boasting. When asked for recruits, we posted them.

Would also suggest that scores show they are competitive even if results are disappointing.

Happy to have Jed board though. Particularly with Forbes out of sorts.

Hornets Nest

Feb 6, 2014
FFS can we give this AFL clubs run this comp garbage a spell. I told u all on here a long time ago the lions we're the last to know the new make up of the comp. And that came from the horses mouth. At the end of the day its a compromised comp just by the make up of the draw.
On the Canberra teams they have either totally underestimated the comp or they can't attract the quality players to Canberra..For you lads in Canberra the 3 teams in qld had a pre season mentality to train to a level that will be competitive against a full quota of AFL listed reserves team..
On resources, now I was in Darwin watching nt v asp and Aspleys travelling party was bare boned...no interchange programs, no champion data stats and only 1-2 trainers..cdm perkins even did the running..
On the sharks v redland game..what a cracker...Redland are a team that has a real crack and really ran over the Sharks late..early on Bombers moved the ball beautifully off half back and had the match winner in Pfeiffer..Enjoyable game
Pity the Hornets couldn't pick up Hughes and Pfeiffer when approached. They came as a package apparently...gift wrapped.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
No. They're underperforming. Just don't remember any boasting. When asked for recruits, we posted them.

Would also suggest that scores show they are competitive even if results are disappointing.

Happy to have Jed board though. Particularly with Forbes out of sorts.

Yep - all good. No doubt Hornets will start turning narrow losses into wins as well.

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
Just a niggle, ,, with Anzac day on Friday, and the weekend to follow, there is not a single NEAFL game in Brisbane or on the Gold Coast.....!!! This is just unbelievable .

billybunter

Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
Pity the Hornets couldn't pick up Hughes and Pfeiffer when approached. They came as a package apparently...gift wrapped.

Yes Indeed Hornets Nest,

It seems that Aspley took the cheaper option and got some across town boys and it may come back to bite them if Redland change positions with them at the end of the season - no one has kicked a real bag full for Aspley in the past few years - I think that means they need a forward that can take grabs and kick goals - also their midfield seems to be running around without purpose at the moment, from the outside looking in, their plan seems to break down and they have come predictable - I think if they can get this sorted within a couple of games, then the real Aspley will rise to the top and they will get that 2013 form back into the thick part of the season. They had a pretty tough draw to start with and it gets a little easy from here.

billybunter

Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
The Thunder vs Redlands in Darwin this coming weekend should be one hell of a match.

stuyd1,

This will be the match of the round with no doubt what so ever, Thunder who have jumped out of the blocks quickly and although going well this year have had the dream draw out of all of the sides in the NEAFL - There are a few already touting another flag for the Northern boys again this year - But once their travel section of the draw chips in, with a few of the usual niggling injuries appearing to their list (hopefully for all sides no major ones we hope) this might slow them down a little and bring them back to the field - Going on the Suns score line against the Swans the Thunder's form on their only trip away so far this season is a little hard to evaluate. They along with Redland and Southport in Qld have recruited well and have built up a spline strength around their established players which has to date and will in future make them all big contenders this year. This will be a close season all around for the top finishing final 6 places.

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
stuyd1,

This will be the match of the round with no doubt what so ever, Thunder who have jumped out of the blocks quickly and although going well this year have had the dream draw out of all of the sides in the NEAFL - There are a few already touting another flag for the Northern boys again this year - But once their travel section of the draw chips in, with a few of the usual niggling injuries appearing to their list (hopefully for all sides no major ones we hope) this might slow them down a little and bring them back to the field - Going on the Suns score line against the Swans the Thunder's form on their only trip away so far this season is a little hard to evaluate. They along with Redland and Southport in Qld have recruited well and have built up a spline strength around their established players which has to date and will in future make them all big contenders this year. This will be a close season all around for the top finishing final 6 places.
Billy bunter,
cant agree more... I know its early in the season, but I feel Aspley, Redlands, Southport, Thunder and the Swans will be the contenders for the flag. Forget the rest, all over for them already.In saying that, Giants, Suns , and Lions ressies sides, I don't think will be there.It was only a few weeks ago I said on this forum that the Afl sides will dominate this comp... well I might have to eat humble pie here.
Goes to show, that there are plenty of players out there that maybe should of been given the chance at Afl level, but if u are over 21 years of age, its likely you will be overlooked for a 16,17,18 year old !!!.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
Not sure about that Stuyd but for sure a 17/18yr old will be seen to have more upside IF they develop physically. I for one am all for 20+ yr olds being given a crack at AFL level, esp here in qld. In fact would be more inclined as a Lions/Suns recruiting officer who has the inside running in this region to have a quiet word in the ear of the 18yr old who they won't draft at the end of 2014 but can see developing over the next 2 years. These sorts of guys would be where I would be placing my efforts as a talent ID person for Qld kids.

justabaraker

Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
GWS
Draughty, do you want to do this in the interim ? Happy to do so if you're out.
What are the rules for anyone who fails to put in their tips for the week ?

PS - might be best if you do it, unless you can provide me with a template that I can add to each week...I'm not too flash on spreadsheets on this format
Hey Draughty,
I'm busting to know how I'm going in the tipping comp - want to take it on for now, or want me to ?

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
i know of one club pushed hard for more people in the travel parties for interstate games and they were knocked back or they were given a couple extra to what were allowed in previous years

chook27

Rookie
Nov 26, 2012
Lakers
Just bumped into one of the support staff that travelled with the Hills Eagles up to play the NT. I had an interesting chat with him. He believes that NT Thunder will be almost unbeatable at home. Apparently they are very well coached by Xavier Clarke, unbelievably quick and he was surprised with how hard they work defensively. It seems Xavier has been drilling this into them over the offseason and you could tell. Considering they have 11 home games this year it is hard to see them finishing outside of the Top 2. He also said they were very welcoming as a club and very hospitable.

However the issue he had was that he couldn't believe that the AFL made them travel on game day. They weren't given the choice on day of travel. He said it was basically a 7 & 1/2 hour journey door (home) to door (hotel check in) on Saturday. They had about an hour at the hotel before they went to the ground. This is absolutely ridiculous to expect any team at this level to travel on game day let alone travel for 7 & 1/2 hours before a game. His opinion was that they were basically sore and fatigued before the game even started. Not that he believed they would have beaten them but he doesn't think they were a 20 goal better side. I bet the AFL wouldn't make the Thunder travel this time and distance on game day.

As for the comment re travelling party, apparently you can only have a party of 30 including coaches, players and physios. Home sides however have to supply the water boys / girls which seems to work well.

I also agree on the thumpings so far this year. This comp seems to be way out of sync in terms of standards of the sides. Agree that there are big thumpings in other leagues but it's normally restricted to only 1-2 sides during the year on the end of them. Not 4-5 on any given weekend.

kittycat12

Feb 14, 2012
Gold Coast
Payne played at Southport but like Pfieffer chose not to return there.
Have asked the same question before. Apparently both live in Brisbane and expect to be well paid. Payne played for aspley 2 years ago for more $ as well. Think salary cap and geographical issues would have restricted southport.
Didn't see the game against Redlands but heard a ripper. Goal kicking an issue?

Yesterday

Feb 22, 2013
Considering they have 11 home games this year it is hard to see them finishing outside of the Top 2. He also said they were very welcoming as a club and very hospitable.

Not a real level playing field is it? NT have 11 home games, teams travel same day and play. Seems they have a bit of a leg up?

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
WithAdding to that, there has been plenty of draft picks
Why would you take Aspley over the Lions 2's with the result from the weekend out of interest

Aspley have a similar strength list to last season.Not quite as strong I feel, but still good.
Lions won the flag in 2013 with a very strong side Collectively, a side that had at least 12 if not 14 players that had experienced footy at the elite level.. and combined , at a guess would amount to some 240 plus games at this elite level.But this season a number of those fringe players have been delisted, because they did not secure a place regularly in the seniors, so Lions had to drop them and go back to the drawing board. This has put them back some 2 or 3 years
Just look at their sides line up this year and compare this to last years side..... no comparsion.And as already shown, if some senior players are injured, they haven't got much to call up, which further depletes the ressies side.
Similair story for the Suns... have 5 or 6 regular senior players out due to injury,and its killing the ressie side.Whereas the Swans seem to be a little more stable, with experienced guys mixed I
nto their list, not 95% of drafts at 18 to 20 years of age. The Giants, well as soon as they start getting injuries to players at both grades, their ressies side will drop off.
With our local clubs picking up the cream of the crop from Broady, Labrador, Morningside,Mt. Gravatt, and a few interstate recruits, all of a sudden these local clubs are right n the mix.And Thunder are looking powerful as well.

Michael Goiser

Jan 14, 2009
Jerrabomberra
As for the comment re travelling party, apparently you can only have a party of 30 including coaches, players and physios. Home sides however have to supply the water boys / girls which seems to work well.
I may be wrong, but I thought it wasn't the case that you couldn't take more than 30 people, the AFL only funds 30 seats on the flight and 30 beds in the hotel. If a club wants to take more they have to pay for it themselves. As I said, I might be wrong but this was my impression from our games in QLD over the last two years.

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
Not a real level playing field is it? NT have 11 home games, teams travel same day and play. Seems they have a bit of a leg up?
Agree and disagree. I ask, do Thunder travel on the same day when they play a away game.... I think they do.(correct me if im wrong )
11 home games,...does that include the 3 games they play in the Alice and 1 in Cairns.??If so, that becomes 7 or so actual home games, which is similar to all other clubs.( have to check the fixture for 2014)
Yes, playing in Darwin is humid,resulting in moist and slippery conditions, even on a great evening with a great surface. Different to down here, but the Thunder have to adjust to our conditions as well when they play down here.
Yes they are well funded by the AFL, NT Govt, and major sponsors,,, a major advantage..yes, but if they didn't have this financial support, they wouldn't be in the comp.
one would have to admit, since their inclusion into the comp only a few years ago, their participation has been a bonus for QLD footy.I mean not only being competitive, they are exciting to watch.Skill levels that are magic especially from the indigenous players.U got to appreciate that as a spectator!!