Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by the balance of the Team and the last few selections ( understand Mitchell and Rohan were out due to injury ) but maybe ROK , Mitchell , Bird are now fighting for the same spot , maybe not so much Bird as he can do a defensive HF role if there is a match up for him but if not all 3 have to play most of there time in the middle to get a game ( cant see all 3 playing in the same side at once ) as they are similar players and don't have enough impact playing forward for the hole game ( Mitchell is not small forward and ROK is struggling to even fill Judes role ) and the only 2 out of the midfield group that can really spend extended time HF are Parker and McVeigh ala Freo game and JPK , Hanners , Jack will only spend a few minutes during the game resting down forward.
As for Cunningham he will not be dropped for either ROK/Mitchell ever in my eyes as they are totally different players as we all know but Harry gives us that outside quick running player that can hit the score board and know has added a defensive role to his game in the last 2 weeks running with Hill and Harvey and done a great job so i think he adds a hell of a lot to team and will start taking the opposition outside players in Harvey , Hill etc and when not taking them players he plays forward of centre more and drifts forward and hurts the opposition , i bet he takes B Hill in round 8.
Balance of the team looked a hell of a lot better on the weekend with BJ in and McVeigh playing HF as it gives us more options going forward as ROK and Mitchell were not working just playing forward.

Melbourne only have mickey mouse rucks in Spencer and the fat log Pederson who is only 193cm according to the bible and who can't jump either! This is a game where we don't need two ruckman, just use LRT as the backup he is taller than Pederson and can jump a bit.

So Derrix out and Tippett in, immediately lifts the quality and structure of our team. Don't want to be top heavy as Melbourne aren't overly tall.

Melbourne only have mickey mouse rucks in Spencer and the fat log Pederson who is only 193cm according to the bible and who can't jump either! This is a game where we don't need two ruckman, just use LRT as the backup he is taller than Pederson and can jump a bit.

So Derrix out and Tippett in, immediately lifts the quality and structure of our team. Don't want to be top heavy as Melbourne aren't overly tall.

I see your point but another way to look at it would be to totally exploit their ruck by playing two it doesn't always work only one way.. Im not saying that is what we will do.

If we decide to go with the 2 rucks during the season i would rather Nankervis over Dericx by far , better mark around the ground can push forward and kick a goal and can kick both sides of his body , just a natural footballer and has played against men. Dericx doesn't look like a natural footballer but does try hard

If we decide to go with the 2 rucks during the season i would rather Nankervis over Dericx by far , better mark around the ground can push forward and kick a goal and can kick both sides of his body , just a natural footballer and has played against men. Dericx doesn't look like a natural footballer but does try hard

No one doubts derickx effort, it's the only thing keys him down is his talent and football ability

Or you can put Derickx in the ruck for 50% of the game and leave Pyke up at FF to stretch the defence further and take weight off Tippett in his return game. Since using 2 ruckmen will be of more importance, I would suggest Derickx as the in and sadly, LRT making way based on overall structure.

Agree mitchell needs to earn his spot in the middle, he is not a forward

If any of the mids are a (small) forward it would be Parker.

Great mark. Reads play well. Great set shot. I like it when he plays a forward role - defends well up there well and keeps it locked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand why A Wu writes that stuff , S Reid has not even trained yet
He just relays whatever the club feeds him. If he was told Bob Pratt was making a return tomorrow he'd probably write that word for word.

Was it just me, or did Pyke not ruck as much on Saturday?! Every centre bounce was Derickx I swear.

Yeh I thought the same. My perception was that the ruck battle wasn't going to be altered all that much whether Pyke or Derickx was there against Sandilands. So they may as well primarily use Derickx for the centre bounces and have Pyke forward where he is far, far, far more dangeous, so they tried to exploit the comparative advantage there I guess.

Yeh I thought the same. My perception was that the ruck battle wasn't going to be altered all that much whether Pyke or Derickx was there against Sandilands. So they may as well primarily use Derickx for the centre bounces and have Pyke forward where he is far, far, far more dangeous, so they tried to exploit the comparative advantage there I guess.

Pyke 92% tog Derickx 69% not sure if that helps anyones theories.

I enjoyed Jetta's work on the weekend, as he hits some form hopefully, I'd like to see him position a little closer to the contest.

Still would like to believe he can play some role around clearances.

Swansrule100,

Been to every Melbourne game since 1976.. even when I was on crutches after honeymoon... (don't ask... lol)

Its a longer drive for me to be fair

The crutches story though kudos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back