AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry fumbler I repeated what you said, didn't see it until I had posted.

All good mate you posted it much better than i, but i totally agree that the Wednesday night games are just to stressful on the colts.
Maybe they could play on Saturdays around 900 am, it's when we used to before the 16's then ressies then seniors, at least it would give them a chance to recuperate.

Also colts should be training with the 1sts and 2nds in some way.

So if they play Wednesday, late games for young lads who are most likely in year 11 and 12, week nights are used for study even more so than weekends. To add to this training for colts needs to operate on a different night to seniors as they play on Wednesday(unless they role with Tuesday - Thursday, which really doesn't make sense), so lighting bills are more expensive for clubs up here that are not rich. The guys who are up for senior selection are expected to train with the senior group, so not only do they train with the colts at least once a week, they also train with the seniors twice.

Some parents and volunteers who are involved in both senior and junior clubs and have kids playing across the board have training Monday, senior training Tuesday and Thursday, colts Wednesday, in the old setup 16's friday, senior football on Saturday and juniors Sunday. It all becomes to much, football 7 days a week is just silly and burns ppl out.

So yeah both set ups aren't perfect but I feel as though Wednesday is perhaps more difficult.
I realise & understand all that but we were talking about the issues at the Tigers & the development of footballers. In pure football terms I thought the Wednesday was better for the kids doubling up in colts & seniors. But your right, no perfect solution.

So if they play Wednesday, late games for young lads who are most likely in year 11 and 12, week nights are used for study even more so than weekends. To add to this training for colts needs to operate on a different night to seniors as they play on Wednesday(unless they role with Tuesday - Thursday, which really doesn't make sense), so lighting bills are more expensive for clubs up here that are not rich. The guys who are up for senior selection are expected to train with the senior group, so not only do they train with the colts at least once a week, they also train with the seniors twice.

Some parents and volunteers who are involved in both senior and junior clubs and have kids playing across the board have training Monday, senior training Tuesday and Thursday, colts Wednesday, in the old setup 16's friday, senior football on Saturday and juniors Sunday. It all becomes to much, football 7 days a week is just silly and burns ppl out.

So yeah both set ups aren't perfect but I feel as though Wednesday is perhaps more difficult.

Would make sense that those playing colts not be required to train twice a week with seniors given they have school homework etc. I know none of the colts players at tigers were required to train twice with seniors. Most had part time jobs as well as school commitments

Well there were no upsets on the weekend. However the Cutters gave the Bulldogs a thrashing. I was more than surprised when I heard the result. Did Centrals have a heap of players away for the Easter weekend? That was a big loss considering their recruiting during the off season.

There is a little more to the Norths story than what has been posted on here. My boy has been playing 15's, Colts and Ressies and has been attending both 15's and Seniors training. I am worried that this will effect his school work and have reminded of him so on several occasions. I do agree that he can only benefit his footy by stepping up but as a parent, have to try and keep him grounded so he can complete his school work. I'm sure I'm not the only parent that has to deal with this and it's hard to try and keep him focussed on the big picture.

There is a little more to the Norths story than what has been posted on here. My boy has been playing 15's, Colts and Ressies and has been attending both 15's and Seniors training. I am worried that this will effect his school work and have reminded of him so on several occasions. I do agree that he can only benefit his footy by stepping up but as a parent, have to try and keep him grounded so he can complete his school work. I'm sure I'm not the only parent that has to deal with this and it's hard to try and keep him focussed on the big picture.

15's, Colts and Ressies is a different story.......juniors making up the numbers is not the same as nurturing colts for Seniors the following few seasons.

I don't agree with 15's playing in Ressies with head hunters.

15's, Colts and Ressies is a different story.......juniors making up the numbers is not the same as nurturing colts for Seniors the following few seasons.

I don't agree with 15's playing in Ressies with head hunters.

15 year olds should never be playing ressie footy. The guy coaching the tigers only took colts players who were physically capable of playing senior footy, made many concessions for not attending training in lieu of school work and study and still played them in key positions in seniors.

I would suggest that the club has some deep rooted issues if they are lacking numbers through the under 15 and colts teams.

Don't get me wrong, my son is more than capable of holding his own and the coaches don't put him in a place that he maybe in danger. In fact, he is well looked after by his coaches and he really does enjoy his footy. Same as cricket season, cricket, cricket and cricket and can't get enough of it (as well as playing in higher grades). Footy season is the same, he is aware of his limits but still needs reminding that school work can't suffer. At least he's not sitting inside on a PC or out running a muck in our streets. My youngest son also plays in higher grades/age groups and it hasn't done him any harm either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, my son is more than capable of holding his own and the coaches don't put him in a place that he maybe in danger. In fact, he is well looked after by his coaches and he really does enjoy his footy. Same as cricket season, cricket, cricket and cricket and can't get enough of it (as well as playing in higher grades). Footy season is the same, he is aware of his limits but still needs reminding that school work can't suffer. At least he's not sitting inside on a PC or out running a muck in our streets. My youngest son also plays in higher grades/age groups and it hasn't done him any harm either.

School work and part time jobs along with sporting commitments are all a juggling act and must be managed

ANZAC_DAY_FLYER%20-%20Updated%20%28Large%29.jpg

Tigers to scrape though against souths in a possible grand final preview
Richter to get a hard ball and not scream at his charges

Port to put tail between the legs of centrals at Roo Poo Park

Saints to really bring lions crashing down to earth and crisis meeting at holloway a Tuesday night

Kiss of death this week -

Norths v Cutters - Norths in a tight one.
Port v Centrals - If all of the Centrals players are back on deck this week, they should get up at Wallaby Turd park.
Saints v Lions - Saints to prevail.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back