ZaharakisFTW

All Australian
May 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I thought he did some good things against the Saints, especially early..and that has been how its been for him most of the year.

But the fact is that he is well and truly past the faze where a couple good passages of play a week will warrant his selection, needs to lift!

Which week this year has he been considered one of our best players? Would be lucky to have been a top 10 in any game so far this year.

I'm not talking about his form, I'm talking about his overall performance over a number of years.

It takes more than 5 weeks of down form (with him still getting a lot of the footy) for players like Zaka to be on the chopping block.

He's not, (couldn't be f-ed going into detail about each one) but he didn't have the impact he normally does on Saturday night along with the others I listed. Hence why a down night led to a loss against what many regarded as a lesser side.

Hocking was fine. At the time he was subbed out he was level on points with Stevens.

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
It takes more than 5 weeks of down form (with him still getting a lot of the footy) for players like Zaka to be on the chopping block.[/quote]

He was in what was considered down form for him most of last year as well. If I remember only finished about 10th in the Crichton after winning it the year before. Most of his poor form was in the second half of the year, zero defensive running.

He is a protected species on this board and no doubt in the eyes of the selectors but he has been at the bottom end of our midfielders so far this year which is saying something considering how uninspiring some of the others have been.

He was in what was considered down form for him most of last year as well. If I remember only finished about 10th in the Crichton after winning it the year before. Most of his poor form was in the second half of the year, zero defensive running.

He is a protected species on this board and no doubt in the eyes of the selectors but he has been at the bottom end of our midfielders so far this year which is saying something considering how uninspiring some of the others have been.

You mean he played injured after Rd 15? Correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's too premature to talk about giving him the axe - if his form hasn't changed by mid-season then it might be worth a discussion. That said he'd definitely want to pick up the pace because all of Heppell, Myers and Merrett have improved this season (too early to say regarding Melksham) and it won't be long before Zaha in among the last midfielders picked each week.

As I said I don't think he will be dropped, I doubt the club have even discussed it. He has just been heavily under performing this year.

No doubt. No doubt at all.

Having said that, it's encouraging that he's still getting his hands on the footy. He's not exactly hurting us by butchering the pill or anything, he's just being really vanilla. It's a lot easier to turn that around than struggling to find the footy.

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Zaka won't be dropped and shouldn't, we aren't in a "we need to drop Waite and Garlett" situation. We dropped a game in Perth and the game after Perth, which is quite normal these days for most middle tier clubs. There should be no alarm bells yet.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
yeah..let's drop him...:rolleyes:.......FFS some of you have no ####ing idea what so ever.....####ing unbelievable

Shane Hird

Cancelled
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Like you with Stanton?

ahhh #### off....this isn't a ####ing Stanton thread is it.

If I was talking about Stanton I'd be talking about the No 5...but here it's about the No 11 smartarse.

Yeah...right lets drop him and put in the VFL.....he's playing that ####ing bad we'll toss him out and bring in awesome player X.

Of all the s### bagging I've given Stanton over the years I've never said once to drop him...not once. Trade yes...but it would be a stupid, idiotic thing to say DROP HIM.

Wake up FFS..

ahhh #### off....this isn't a ####ing Stanton thread is it.

If I was talking about Stanton I'd be talking about the No 5...but here it's about the No 11 smartarse.

Yeah...right lets drop him and put in the VFL.....he's playing that ####ing bad we'll toss him out and bring in awesome player X.

Of all the s### bagging I've given Stanton over the years I've never said once to drop him...not once. Trade yes...but it would be a stupid, idiotic thing to say DROP HIM.

Wake up FFS..
No need to react so harshly. Wasn't meant to be anything other than light-hearted ribbing.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
No need to react so harshly. Wasn't meant to be anything other than light-hearted ribbing.

Right oh then-that's alright then;)....I've held back for awhile now....but when we start losing I get cranky...very bloody cranky....DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!:p

Cause I love the number 11....LOVE HIM!!!!:mad:

My reasoning for dropping him would just to be a wake up call. At the moment he just seems to be going through the motions and coasting through games. It needs to be known that he isn't an automatic selection each week and dropping him for ANZAC Day would be the biggest wake up call he could receive.

It happened to Melksham last year and look what he did once he made it back into the side.

I understand he is a valuable player and his form isn't that bad, but once complacency sets in it is very hard to get out of the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back