National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

Abbott, the only LOTO that got rid of 3 Prime Ministers.
Oh, so it wasn't Gillard behind Rudd's removal?
Or Rudd behind Gillard's removal?
Or Shorten actually being the one behind both of their removals?

It's just very hard keeping up with the changing narrative.

Oh, so it wasn't Gillard behind Rudd's removal?
Or Rudd behind Gillard's removal?
Or Shorten actually being the one behind both of their removals?

It's just very hard keeping up with the changing narrative.

I think it is fair to say Labor stuck the knife into their own and thank god for that. Gillard's and Rudd's fiasco nearly destroyed the Labor brand to a point it put the whole party's future at risk.

Abbott is perfect for Australia at the moment as he will achieve stuff all other than tweak the edges and stop the rot. By the next election or the election after Labor will resume power but hopefully would have sorted out their own mess and severed ties with the criminal elements and rogue unions.

I am quite confident of a positive future for Labor.

I think it is fair to say Labor stuck the knife into their own and thank god for that. Gillard's and Rudd's fiasco nearly destroyed the Labor brand to a point it put the whole party's future at risk.

Abbott is perfect for Australia at the moment as he will achieve stuff all other than tweak the edges and stop the rot. By the next election or the election after Labor will resume power but hopefully would have sorted out their own mess and severed ties with the criminal elements and rogue unions.

I am quite confident of a positive future for Labor.
I can only see him increasing the rot. The libs are as crooked as a bent tent peg.

Don't know how such a smart man has got it so wrong although I still have a bit of a soft spot for Turnbull. He is the only one that makes it possible for people to comment on his web site. Four interesting comments on this topic and interestingly 77 comments on the Brandis reforms and love the comments on Knights and Dames 97 comments.
http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/media/march-enews#disqus_thread.
http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/media/australian-knights-and-the-republic#disqus_thread
http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/m...l-discrimination-act-exposure-d#disqus_thread

Such a shame to lose the leadership by one vote, would love to have seen what sort of PM he would have made.

They screwed up the republics cause

From news.com.au

THE current government’s election promise of only requiring $29.5 billion looks set to be broken, after the Coalition admitted today that up to $38 billion in spending on the National Broadband Network had been locked in by the previous government.

It’s worth noting that the Coalition insisted it didn’t know any of the NBN Co’s contractual obligations before the election, but nonetheless a promise was made to deliver the network ‘sooner’ and ‘cheaper’ than Labor’s original plan.

However if the Coalition is locked into the spending commitments of the previous government, many are asking why it is changing to a technologically inferior version of the NBN?

The first review of the Coalition’s network was released in December and revealed its network would cost at least $40 billion anyway, up massively from their initial predictions and not much less than the original network.

From news.com.au

THE current government’s election promise of only requiring $29.5 billion looks set to be broken, after the Coalition admitted today that up to $38 billion in spending on the National Broadband Network had been locked in by the previous government.

It’s worth noting that the Coalition insisted it didn’t know any of the NBN Co’s contractual obligations before the election, but nonetheless a promise was made to deliver the network ‘sooner’ and ‘cheaper’ than Labor’s original plan.

However if the Coalition is locked into the spending commitments of the previous government, many are asking why it is changing to a technologically inferior version of the NBN?

The first review of the Coalition’s network was released in December and revealed its network would cost at least $40 billion anyway, up massively from their initial predictions and not much less than the original network.

The issue is was any of the proposed budgets accurate? No one knows how much the original NBN would of cost but I think most people would of expected the final bill to be much higher then the estimates. The question is how much more.

I would of prefered the original NBN, mainly for selfish reasons.

Believeing that blow outs will or wont happen , or will be more or less because the pms office has a different incumbent.
They can cut a program altogether, but theres little influence on the way business happens

Blow outs are already happening and some people will still not get decent internet access. Just ask the good people of Mudgee.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-03/no-internet-for-new-mudgee-residents/5428582
I doubt that there would have been a huge blow-out for the NBN. at least we would have had in place infrastructure that provided all Australians with a decent service. Unlike the secondary service we will end up having what will also be expensive.

Blow outs are already happening and some people will still not get decent internet access. Just ask the good people of Mudgee.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-03/no-internet-for-new-mudgee-residents/5428582
I doubt that there would have been a huge blow-out for the NBN. at least we would have had in place infrastructure that provided all Australians with a decent service. Unlike the secondary service we will end up having what will also be expensive.

Typical bias by omission by the ABC. Failed to mention that the decision to delay connection to the NBN for Mudgee was made mid 2013.

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/govern...-towers-in-regional-areas-20130815-hv1d3.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a devastating critique into the formation of Australia’s biggest infrastructure projects, former Productivity Commission head Bill Scales has found the NBN Co set up to develop the high-speed internet network was given a job that only a “well-functioning, large and established” telecommunications company could do under the tight timetables for the rollout. For a start-up, it was an “impossible assignment”.

Mr Scales said he was told that some of those involved in the first 12 months of the NBN Co were “making it up as they went”, while others related a “salutary anecdote” that, in the early days of NBN Co, ‘‘all we had (to guide us) was the press release and a bunch of business cards”.

“By contrast, with NBN Mark I, the public policy process for developing NBN Mark II was rushed, chaotic and inadequate,” it says. The plan got just 11 weeks’ consideration and “there is no evidence that a full range of options was seriously considered”.

“There was no business case or any cost-benefit analysis, or independent studies of the policy undertaken, with no clear operating instructions provided to this completely new government business enterprise, within a legislative and regulatory framework still undefined, and without any consultation with the wider community,” the report says.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...aotic-says-audit/story-e6frgaif-1227013441446

What I've said all along. A ****ing shambles.

Absolute certainty. And a massive one. What was the original cost at the 2007 election? Now many, many multiples of that.

Staggering waste of money for very little economic benefit.

No wonder they kept the PC away from it. Even the alp knew it was a dog with fleas.

Absolute certainty. And a massive one. What was the original cost at the 2007 election? Now many, many multiples of that.

Staggering waste of money for very little economic benefit.

No wonder they kept the PC away from it. Even the alp knew it was a dog with fleas.

what was the original $9B then $14B now........we are not even getting what we were promised for something like $40B as the $90B price tag was considered to high.

if it wasn't such an expensive f up, I would laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back