New facilities at Springfield - update: Federal funding under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove past Murarrie Recreation Reserve the other day and it again struck me that it would be a good site. There's not much there except for some partially-maintained soccer fields and a small skate bowl. I haven't seen it on weekends, but it seems very underutilised. More than enough space for two ovals and other facilities, close to train, main roads/freeways and where the players currently live. I wonder why it wasn't considered seriously.

Live just down the road and there are plenty of areas like this on the east side as I am sure there are within 20km of Brisbane. Dissapointingly the BCC obviously don't want to help. GCCC and also numerous other councils in Vic come to the party. It is a bit head scratching really but does show you where our game ranks in Qld.

Live just down the road and there are plenty of areas like this on the east side as I am sure there are within 20km of Brisbane. Dissapointingly the BCC obviously don't want to help. GCCC and also numerous other councils in Vic come to the party. It is a bit head scratching really but does show you where our game ranks in Qld.
That site is perfect except for one problem and that it was the site of one of our city dumps, back in the day anything and everything was dumped there.
I am pretty sure it is only used for bike riding, kite flying ,dog training , organized events like that, and a skateboard bowl.
I remember it was a while ago , say maybe 15 years at a guess , the council capped the whole park with a clay surface to contain the toxic stuff from leaking to the top or sides, and then top dressed it.
Maybe it is okay now but as it is definitely under used the health of the park is questionable .
Pretty sure that is why it is never been used for sport , being school carnivals or club sport.
Then again we might get mutant players with super strength.:)

The other site I was also thinking of was the Wynnum vikings club at Hemmant , looks like plenty of room and could have access to Wynnum road- good exposure POKIES. Pretty sure they have 2 fields there with plenty of bush which backs onto the fields for further development.. Less than 15kms from cbd.

If it was a dump then that would rule it out straight away. You can't build significant structures on that land due to settling. We play against muddies cricket side and their field on the ex dump in redlands gets re graded and turfed every 4 years or so due to ground settling from memory. Done by the council or contractor as part of the ongoing land maintenance they have to do.

I always thought that there was a fair bit of space around chandler over the other side of the car parks that could have been an option. Relies on BCC or QLD govt giving up some land i would imagine though and we're not popular enough for that.

If it was a dump then that would rule it out straight away. You can't build significant structures on that land due to settling. We play against muddies cricket side and their field on the ex dump in redlands gets re graded and turfed every 4 years or so due to ground settling from memory. Done by the council or contractor as aprt of the ongoing land maintenance they have to do.

Don't you be disrespecting Judy Holt Park.

[/Former Mudcrab]

Don't you be disrespecting Judy Holt Park.

[/Former Mudcrab]

Nah its one of the best fields in our comp since it's re-done all the time. Good wicket with plenty for batsman and bowlers. I'd rate it probable second best after Rochedale (although the field was looking very brown during semi finals) and Bracken Ridge pitch is usually an good one.

For interest sake, from the stories in the Melbourne papers today it hardly looks like the Saints Junction Oval deal is that close.

Cricket Victoria say they need $40-$50m just to develop the cricket side of things. If you add the Saints in as well we are talking about a substantial sum (say $70-$90m total).

So far the only money on the table is Cricket Vic $10m, State Government $10m which is contingent on a matching grant of $10m from the Feds (that hasn't been made yet). Yeah the AFL will kick in a fair bit (say at least $10m), but it looks like the deal is still a long way short, which is why the Herald Sun are mentioning Lindsay Fox and other potential wealthy Saints backers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...coming-a-reality/story-fni5f9q3-1226880389116

Also of interest is Caroline Wilson's article on the perceived mistake of the Saints going to Seaford in the first place:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/st-kildas-sorry-seaford-sojourn-20140410-zqt75.html

That site is perfect except for one problem and that it was the site of one of our city dumps, back in the day anything and everything was dumped there.

Then again we might get mutant players with super strength.:)

Before we got our flash new grounds at Burpengary, we spent 15 years on top of an old dump with barely a foot of top soil over it. There must have been something particularly nasty buried under the south-east pocket, because the grass never grew properly there.

Can't say we got any super mutant players out of it. Strangely though, our cuts and grazes did take a good six months to heal ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PFK's Prediction Time!!!!!!!!!

We'll still be having this conversation in 2 years. The complete incompetence of our beloved Board will see to that.

I have just returned from four days in the Sunshine State, unfortunately most of it spent at theme parks, but I did get the strong choices propaganda rammed down my throat, maybe when can do gets the lemon and sarce he could become our chairman because we ned a dose of the same.

I have just returned from four days in the Sunshine State, unfortunately most of it spent at theme parks, but I did get the strong choices propaganda rammed down my throat, maybe when can do gets the lemon and sarce he could become our chairman because we ned a dose of the same.
What, corruption and * wittery? Nah, reckon we've had our fair share of blinkered nuffies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

totally agree - if he was serious about righting the ship he wouldn't be pissing money up against a wall telling everyone about it.

Yeah and if he was serious about a legitimate public debate about asset sales, they would have included the dividend returns from maintaining the assets in (at least) the assumptions about debt mitigation over time, and ideally in the model itself.

I liked the name of the campaign - that's about it - the state is in a bad way from my limited look.
From what I can gather, the website and or any other polling devices are faulty and cumbersome. This is a ploy to allow whatever sales the government wants to make (against pre-election promises) and blame the public. "Well we ran the 'strong choices' campaign for people to have their say and there wasn't significant opposition to the sales".

Suns need to contribute 20mil towards it, and are kicked out during commonwealth games, but they get world class facilities designed to attract english premier league footy teams for preseason camps, and I bet the suns will profit from the hiring out of facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back