2014 - is this the year Geelong finally falls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Personally I love Geelong. Brilliantly run club and have deserved all of their success.

The rivalry has been a media beat-up this whole time, in not entrenched in our roots but a rivalry of circumstance as both sides have been strong over a long period (Geelong especially).
i think the 89 GF set the precedence. The late 90's/early 00's weren't happy hunting times for either club, but you both rose again at a similar time.
As an EFC fan, I'm supposed to hate the hawks, but i really do love watching them and the way Clarkson has built the club.
Hoping you land a third flag in 6 years.
And the cats are just good to watch, both on and off the field. Both clubs are the blue prints on how to run a club. Both successful, strong off the field, connected to their base well and recruit really well.

Anyone thinking the Cats won't make top 4 this year are kidding themselves.
Hawks are clearly the best team and will finish first. I think the Cats will be right behind them and Freo in 3rd.
4th is up for grabs between Essendon and Port at this stage.

pavilion103

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
sarcasm post? ;)

That's a good 5-8 years when all those boys get to that age. You don't think the club would have unearthed a new batch of future stars during that time frame?
Unless our recruiting goes south and the development program suddenly stops, I can't imagine Stephen Wells picking a whole lot of duds in the next 2-5 drafts.

Lol exactly.

In 5-8 years just replace these names with some new ones :p

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Anyone think this may have a lot to do with costa and dicker being great friends when they took over geelong and hawthorn in the late nineties.
Comparing notes while laying the foundations for the admins following them to take the two clubs into a clear lead in victoria

For mine the only disappointment is Dicker wasnt allowed to develop our version of kardinia park in the outer east of melbourne

Winter

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2014 2nd 4-0*
2013 2nd 18-4
2012 6th 15-7
2011 2nd 19-3 (P)
2010 2nd 17-5
2009 2nd 18-4 (P)
2008 1st 21-1 (R/U)
2007 1st 18-4 (P)

Had to go back and have a good look at their recent record.

130 wins from 158 games, 6 top two finishes from 7 seasons with 3 Flags from 4 Grand Finals.

That is down right nuts.

erbenz

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Guys, guys, I think 2012 and 2013 were the down years. 2014 remains to be seen (I suspect a top 4 finish will occur but GF appearances will depend on Freo IMO, Hawks can already book theirs in), but they're going to be a force 2015 and beyond for sure.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I really cant see them falling too far this year, or even next to be honest.
Probably have the best recruiters in the game really. Melbourne should throw all their remaining cash at who ever does the recruitment work at the Cats.

I've been advocating chaining Stephen Wells to a light tower for some time now.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
For the cats to truly bottom out will require perfect storm scenario.

Given 8 games at KP, which are guaranteed to be against the interstate and smaller supported sides, it'll require most of these sides to be half decent at the same time that the cats drop off, through weakened playing list and injuries.

The compromised drafts have slowed the emergence of a new guard at the top, as the expansion teams don't have the older group to support the fresh talent coming through, and the clubs who do and would've typically developed a core group of talented youngsters haven't had the usual access.

Add to this veterans list rule changes which enabled the retention of players when the squeeze on their cap was its greatest, and the ballsy decision to part with ablett in exchange for a compensation that would seldom be available under normal circumstances.

All contributing factors, along with excellent management and performance which other clubs have seen fit to try their best to imitate, in keeping the cats up.

The system will eventually bring them down, as it it's designed to do, but it'll take a combination of bad luck scenarios to make such a great club to fall lower than 7-10th place, and it could be another 5-10 seasons away given all those factors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RuFiO

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2006
Neverland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
\m/ Babymetal \m/ New York Rangers
I have written off Geelong virtually ever year for the last 5 or 6! I am officially stopping as of now! They are a damn good team which reinvents/recruits/develops its players very well and can handle pressure!
Why did you write them off every year though Tim?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Personally I love Geelong. Brilliantly run club and have deserved all of their success.

The rivalry has been a media beat-up this whole time, it's not entrenched in our roots but a rivalry of circumstance as both sides have been strong over a long period (Geelong especially).
theres been a rivalry since the mid eighties you silly.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
For the cats to truly bottom out will require perfect storm scenario.

Given 8 games at KP, which are guaranteed to be against the interstate and smaller supported sides, it'll require most of these sides to be half decent at the same time that the cats drop off, through weakened playing list and injuries.

The compromised drafts have slowed the emergence of a new guard at the top, as the expansion teams don't have the older group to support the fresh talent coming through, and the clubs who do and would've typically developed a core group of talented youngsters haven't had the usual access.

Add to this veterans list rule changes which enabled the retention of players when the squeeze on their cap was its greatest, and the ballsy decision to part with ablett in exchange for a compensation that would seldom be available under normal circumstances.

All contributing factors, along with excellent management and performance which other clubs have seen fit to try their best to imitate, in keeping the cats up.

The system will eventually bring them down, as it it's designed to do, but it'll take a combination of bad luck scenarios to make such a great club to fall lower than 7-10th place, and it could be another 5-10 seasons away given all those factors.
what a load of crap. yeah we gave away ablett :rolleyes:

Thetruth14

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone who has seen the inner workings of this club understands why the success is perpetual.

It's just an obscenely well run unit with a success culture now ingrained within the playing group.

Then look at a club like Richmond, they are so used to mediocrity, they gravitate toward it.

It has taken a Coaching guru like Lyon to start to turn Fremantle around, so much comes from the people at the helm.

Geelong deserves every success that comes their way, they play the game well, have enjoyed their last 10 years of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back