Autopsy Hawks vs Cats - Another epic is written in the book of freakin' Epic.

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was Gunston's marking today?

Yeah Echols, he was superb today. Reads the play so well, and the beauty is, he finishes more often than not.

Really impressed with him. Just a smart smart footballer

Nice attempt to get some positive discussion into the thread too

We've all been spoilt i guess.
We certainly have been over the past 6 years with this group of players.

I think some of us have unrealistic expectations (ie going undefeated all year or close to). Yeah we lost today, to a side that has the wood on us. It's not the end of the world. As a few posters have mentioned, it's probably the worst collective effort in a game since the tiges game. I just hope I see a response next week, especially from players who had down games. Win the next three leading into the bye and were are very nicely placed.

We may have been outcoached (not moving Cheney off Hawkins), but I thought we were lucky to be that close heading into the last qtr

I get this same thing out of every match against Geelong. Joel Duckwood, Stevie J & Tomahawks all need to be bashed & whacked in the face by Lake.

Varcoe had Mitch, with two arms around the long before the ball was bounced,m and was still holding him when it hit the ground. He was holding strongly enough so Mitch couldn't move. Umps blind.

I hated the not paying of holding the ball or incorrect disposal today. Not rewarding the tackler is a disgrace. Not isolated to our game either.

As for Razor Ray: he shouldn't be let anywhere near a whistle or a footy ground. His nit-picking grand-standing umpiring is a blight on the game.

We were smashed by a far better team today, but I see no reason to think that we can't turn the tables on them again later in the year.

Hawkins was the biggest difference, so a fit Lake will be crucial. But the review of this game also needs to be exhaustive, because Geelong's ability to shut down our game style has to be addressed - a game where balls are being thrown on the boot rather than delivered with precision really plays into their hands. Have to hand it to them, they defend better than anybody across the whole field, and are smart, clean and precise in clearing the ball from congestion. Made us look very average in comparison.

Trouble is Phil....We save our worst game collectively twice a year every year against the same mob....Sound familiar?????

Still no penny drop!

If at the end of the year we are holding up the premiership cup does it matter? And we played much worse last year against Richmond.

Since every one seems to be naming names around here, then lets be brutally honest as to who goes missing every time against the Scats!

1. Clarko....I've said enuf about him already.....Another blindingly inept display!

2. Roughead-Must be used in the ruck & at Centre half back against Geelong.
3. Rioli- Must be given a definitive lock down role to keep him focused & in the game, Id put him on Selwood!
4. Birchall- Always fluffs his lines everytime against this mob, their inside his head too!
5. Lewis- See Birchall above.
6. Suckling- Soft utensil with no defensive accountability or spine. Frightened of body contact.
7. Hodge- The 2008 GF was the last time this bloke raised his head in earnest against this mob....Must be given the 1 on 1 job on Johnson...Too obvious for words!
8.Smith- See Suckling above.

Our so-called leaders continually suffer stage fright against the Cats & are made to look like first graders up against the year 6 boys....Must be said!

Reading through Playing to Win recently, the club took 11 narrow losses to Geelong before they worked out that Geelong wanted to beat us more than we wanted to beat them

It looked Geelong wanted to win today more than we did

Did they really equate the desire to win with the result?

My view is the Cats believe they can beat us every time we play. History would seem to bear that out.

Just saying this re: Cheney. If our midfield and forwards have actually put on pressure on the cats more than we did then the Cheney match-up, like it has done the first 4 rounds, wouldn't have hurt us as much as it allows our other defenders to peel off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all know that Spangher would have been the difference.

If North don't make top four, is there a chance we can recruit Brad Scott as an assistant? His boys have a pretty good record against Chris' men.

We were smashed by a far better team today, but I see no reason to think that we can't turn the tables on them again later in the year.

Hawkins was the biggest difference, so a fit Lake will be crucial. But the review of this game also needs to be exhaustive, because Geelong's ability to shut down our game style has to be addressed - a game where balls are being thrown on the boot rather than delivered with precision really plays into their hands. Have to hand it to them, they defend better than anybody across the whole field, and are smart, clean and precise in clearing the ball from congestion. Made us look very average in comparison.

Dafaq?? This Geelong team is no better or worst than previous years. They have a way that beats us regularly in the H&A however until they beat us when it counts they have nothing off significance over our footy club.

As for Cheney vs Hawkins, Cheney did his best but it was a matchup we'll hopefully never see again with guys like Lake, Schoenmakers, Spangher and Heatherly (once he develops) when we play the Cats again.

Oh, I agree that the Cats have some sort of hold over us. The record says as much. But, out of all the games we've played since 2008, only one has mattered (in the sense of the grand prize) and that was last year. Somehow, we won that.
How come Hale can ruck all day and whilst exhausted take contested mark after mark in our forwardline whilst Roughead goes missing. I live Rough but Kennedy Senior needs to corner him in a room and fix the problem between his ears or else we will never see the best from him.

We forget the GF against Freo. Hawthorn CAN actually play that pressure game really well. Maybe we needed a shake up like this early to remember that we can do this.
The question has to be asked, if we're undersized and under strength compared to the opposition forward line, why wasn't something else tried?

What the eff do we learn watching Cheney battle against monsters? He tries hard, and I won't criticise him, but you give up 4 goals before the ball is bounced. What has Cheney learned?

The lack of personnel excuse doesn't hold up for much longer. Our depth means nothing if there's great big holes in our match day line-ups. There will always be injuries.

Our wins this year have been less than impressive in hindsight.

Brisbane are genuinely s**t.
Essendon are fragile frontrunners whom we barely beat, and not without luck.
Fremantle have started the year very badly for a grand finalist.
And our win against the Suns looked good only on the scoreboard.

I don't believe the formula to beat us has changed in many years. Apply pressure across the ground, especially in our forward line. Stand two giants at CHF and FF. And Norm Smith's your mother's brother.

Again, nothing good to take out of today. Especially when the Handflogs lie to the MRP in their medical reports and we lose a couple through suspension.
Hawthorn

It was all the clearances. We won the first 3 clearances of the final quarter and we hit the front. We then lost the next 5 and Geelong kicked ahead.

McEvoy was dominated by McIntosh and Dawson today.

When we lost the clearances we were forced to play their way. No space, lots of congestion like in that third quarter.

That was the game in a nutshell!

First loss in 262 days (since August 2nd 2013). Now thats something to smile about!

14-happy-animal-facts-guaranteed-to-make-you-smile-1-25150-1378856556-13_big.jpg

Think blaming Cheney for the loss is not right. Most of the team didn't show up today and mental fragility plus the fact we missed a few goals that should have been cherry, clearances were poor and turned the ball over so many times with poor kicking is what killed us today.

Since every one seems to be naming names around here, then lets be brutally honest as to who goes missing every time against the Scats!

1. Clarko....I've said enuf about him already.....Another blindingly inept display!

2. Roughead-Must be used in the ruck & at Centre half back against Geelong.
3. Rioli- Must be given a definitive lock down role to keep him focused & in the game, Id put him on Selwood!
4. Birchall- Always fluffs his lines everytime against this mob, their inside his head too!
5. Lewis- See Birchall above.
6. Suckling- Soft utensil with no defensive accountability or spine. Frightened of body contact.
7. Hodge- The 2008 GF was the last time this bloke raised his head in earnest against this mob....Must be given the 1 on 1 job on Johnson...Too obvious for words!
8.Smith- See Suckling above.

Our so-called leaders continually suffer stage fright against the Cats & are made to look like first graders up against the year 6 boys....Must be said!
And yet you were soooooo confident before the match

How come Hale can ruck all day and whilst exhausted take contested mark after mark in our forwardline whilst Roughead goes missing. I live Rough but Kennedy Senior needs to corner him in a room and fix the problem between his ears or else we will never see the best from him.

Best I've seen Roughy play against the Cats was in a quarter from a few years back at the G. He looked, as usual, all at sea. Then Clarko started him in the third quarter leading from the full forward line into space. he kicked, two maybe three goals, and looked unstoppable. Just natural, you know. Can't remember what happened after that except we lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back