Review AFL Round 5 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 19 points

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh hey, what's this over here - oh, it's my post from earlier in the week.

Gee, I hope the Cats players aren't as much of a bunch of believers in the Hawthorn hype as people here.

Cats by three goals, after tackling Hawthorn to death and now allowing them the space to execute their high disposal efficiency game. Speeecccialll Cyril to be largely unsighted apart from 1-2 flashes of brilliance, as per other performances against the Cats.

Now let's not hear about how Hawthorn are head and shoulders better than the rest of the league for the rest of the season, dammit!

Edit: it was the greatest prediction I ever made, and then I did a typo and spelt "not" as "now".

Catatonic Shock

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2013
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Just wondering aloud, Rivers has been super impressive so far this year as we know, I wonder if having JK tearing it up in the VFL has put some subconscious pressure on Rivers to perform so he's really stepped up?
Clearly he's a quality player regardless but I just wonder if it's given him that extra 1%.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Just wondering aloud, Rivers has been super impressive so far this year as we know, I wonder if having JK tearing it up in the VFL has put some subconscious pressure on Rivers to perform so he's really stepped up?
Clearly he's a quality player regardless but I just wonder if it's given him that extra 1%.
Possibly but I actually believe that he had such a good game last week that his confidence is booming!!!

Catatonic Shock

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2013
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh hey, what's this over here - oh, it's my post from earlier in the week.

Now let's not hear about how Hawthorn are head and shoulders better than the rest of the league for the rest of the season, dammit!

Funnily enough though they out tackled us today.
Not that it's a bad thing, we made them play our game. We do that to the Hawks, we MAKE them play our game whereas most other teams try to beat the Hawks at THEIR game.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

You mean last year he wasn't worried about all those 2nds BOGs by the CHB named Brown?

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Funnily enough though they out tackled us today.
Not that it's a bad thing, we made them play our game. We do that to the Hawks, we MAKE them play our game whereas most other teams try to beat the Hawks at THEIR game.
Well, that was sort of my point - forcing them to play contested footy by creating contest in situations where Hawthorn normally get uncontested possession.

I will concede that I was 1 point out with the score, though.

Some excerpts from the Hysteria
"I try to be positive and not get into being on the down side, but youre right we need to stop this crap because one day soon we will meet Geelong in a "Matters" game and we will get arsed again."

"Wow one curse is ended and another one has begun!!!
Why are we such mental cases againts this mob I will never know..
And next week our other curse is on show!!"

"If Geelong make top 4 I will be surprised. Very average list. Its round.5."
Reply to ^^^
"Sour grapes? If Geelong aren't in the top 2 I'll be dumbfounded. Solid side, not just against us."

"I know we are in a good position sitting 4-1, but honestly, do our coaching staff learn nothing playing against the Cats?
No Motlop, no Christensen and we still get done when the game was there for the taking."

"The ball didn't bounce right for Hodge today. . ."

"Does the bounce of the ball thing happen every time the Hawks play Geelong? I think it has more to do with the fact you have to get everything right to beat them, including the bounce going your way but they do seem to get the rub of the green."
^^^ that's a fave!

"Whoever on this forum that defends the decision to play Cheney on the man woman with the bra is delusional. Its like taking a plastic knife to a gun fight. And so what if he played well against pav or brownie or whatever, it matters not, we have lost every game bar one for 6 years against the shats and we needed Lake today, he was fit as he played a full game with the box hill guys . . ."
^^^ why do they call Tomahawk that, or Porkins?

^^^ why do they call Tomahawk that, or Porkins?

Jealous. same way they all bag Selwood out as Duckwood, yet I bet if they could reverse the *up of drafting Mitch Thorp, every single one of them would have him on their team the *en sooks

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
thought rivers was awesome - best game for us
taylor has been down on his standard
two rucks is great
we need walker as chf - burbury does not have the street smarts and is selfish - not laying off to stokes was deplorable and show pony crap
hawkins will cop a week for us winning
great game
love mitch dunc work

Used to think the same.
It will be the making of him.

Apparently it was because we had the umpires in our pocket they lost.... I know right, who would think... a hawk fan using the umpires as an excuse! What a shock!
+ the bounce went all our way too! :rolleyes:

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
How's the mood in here? Good win. No excuses. You played very well against us. Your game plan in particular was effective. Im still very optimistic about our season though.
You were playing kids.
Fair to be optimistic. Time to re-rate your side though.

Back