Autopsy Rd 3 v Williamstown @ Burbank Oval, Williamstown; 12:15pm Sat, April 19 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the Hawks vs Cats game and Lee Matthews asked "how many teenagers play for these teams"
The youngest player out there today is Hill who is 20 and has only played 30 games.
Elton, Mcbean, Lennon and other players in that age group should not be rushed and should only play when they earn their spot.

Watching the Hawks vs Cats game and Lee Matthews asked "how many teenagers play for these teams"
The youngest player out there today is Hill who is 20 and has only played 30 games.
Elton, Mcbean, Lennon and other players in that age group should not be rushed and should only play when they earn their spot.

I think we all hate to admit it but of course this is true. Imo the kids in Lennon, Mcdonough, Vlastuin, ,Mcintosh, McBean, Arnot, etc will be the ones to give us success in 4-5 years. Our older players have proven they are not up to it. They're just filling in spots and time until the younger kids are ready

So is it all these other players first games ? I'm confused. I remember watching all these players playing at 18 and 19.

Difference is their old players are better than the young guys. Ours only play because they are bigger and fitter.

Hahaha.

Spot. On.
Not spot on at all. George Horlin-Smith and Mitch Hallahan were both drafted in 2010, the same year as Conca and Batch. Today was Horlin-Smith's 15th game and Hallahan's first (despite winning the Liston). Conca has played 57 and Batch 39, despite Conca's injury troubles and Batch barely being seen for the last two years. Guthrie, Smedts and Josh Walker went in the same draft and have played 45, 27 and 10 respectively.

Dawson Simpson was drafted in 2007 and has played 16. Josh Cowan was drafted in 2009 and has played 3. Mitch Brown a few picks after Vickery in 2008 and has played 13.

Shane Kersten was drafted in 2011 and is highly rated but hasn't played a game; Brandon Ellis has played almost 50. Jackson Thurlow was taken a few picks after Vlastuin in 2012 and has played 4 games compared to 22.

Same for the Hawks:
Duryea: drafted 2009; played 23
Hill: 2011; 34
Litherland: 2010; 2

Langford has only just broken into the side (6 games) and is nearly 22.

These teams develop guys in the twos until they're ready. Ablett, Bartel and co. played in a reserves premiership together in 2002. Hodge(?) said just recently that young players at Hawthorn spend 2-3 years in the VFL learning the game style and getting up to speed physically.

You know who has thrown young uns to the wolves? Melbourne. Us in the past.

Wait til they're ready. Patience is a virtue.

Not spot on at all. George Horlin-Smith and Mitch Hallahan were both drafted in 2010, the same year as Conca and Batch. Today was Horlin-Smith's 15th game and Hallahan's first (despite winning the Liston). Conca has played 57 and Batch 39, despite Conca's injury troubles and Batch barely being seen for the last two years. Guthrie, Smedts and Josh Walker went in the same draft and have played 45, 27 and 10 respectively.

Dawson Simpson was drafted in 2007 and has played 16. Josh Cowan was drafted in 2009 and has played 3. Mitch Brown a few picks after Vickery in 2008 and has played 13.

Shane Kersten was drafted in 2011 and is highly rated but hasn't played a game; Brandon Ellis has played almost 50. Jackson Thurlow was taken a few picks after Vlastuin in 2012 and has played 4 games compared to 22.

Same for the Hawks:

These teams develop guys in the twos until they're ready. Ablett, Bartel and co. played in a reserves premiership together in 2002. Hodge(?) said just recently that young players at Hawthorn spend 2-3 years in the VFL learning the game style and getting up to speed physically.

How long did Bartel wait? Enright? Kelly? What about Harry Taylor.

The superstars of that team, the ones that allow the kids to stay in the reserves were all given time in the seniors to build and develop at the higher quality level. Remember that young team of the early 2000's? Most forget.

This was meant to be when we did that. Build through young talent. Let these kids develop and make mistakes but learn and improve.

Instead, those games are being gifted to VFL at best quality players. Damn shame.

Same for the Hawks:

Hill played only a handful of VFL games for the hawks before being elevated as they needed his run, Cyril debuted rd1 and stayed in all season. It's a nice story out of the Hawks and Geelong but it's more a reflection of where their lists are at. Most of those guys you listed played VFL for 3 years because they are only solid players carried on the backs of some champions of the game.

How long did Bartel wait? Enright? Kelly? What about Harry Taylor.

The superstars of that team, the ones that allow the kids to stay in the reserves were all given time in the seniors to build and develop at the higher quality level. Remember that young team of the early 2000's? Most forget.

This was meant to be when we did that. Build through young talent. Let these kids develop and make mistakes but learn and improve.

Instead, those games are being gifted to VFL at best quality players. Damn shame.
Bartel was pick 8 and played 11 games in his first year and 40 in his first 3. There is plenty of time for Lennon to better that. Enright didn't play a single senior game in his first year. Kelly played 15. Taylor wasn't even drafted until he was 21.

I wouldn't pick Matt Thomas either; I would much rather we had elevated Miles. What other VFL quality players are you talking about? Petterd is better than that, so is Titch.

Hill played only a handful of VFL games for the hawks before being elevated as they needed his run, Cyril debuted rd1 and stayed in all season. It's a nice story out of the Hawks and Geelong but it's more a reflection of where their lists are at. Most of those guys you listed played VFL for 3 years because they are only solid players carried on the backs of some champions of the game.

Which teenagers at Coburg would you pick? Lennon - it's been said he's not fit enough yet and is struggling with the game plan. Certainly won't add run like Hill did. McDonough I would have in ahead of Thomas but who else? McBean's not ready. It's not like we're not playing young players - Martin, Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca have all played almost every game they've been available for since they walked in the door.

Which teenagers at Coburg would you pick? Lennon - it's been said he's not fit enough yet and is struggling with the game plan. Certainly won't add run like Hill did. McDonough I would have in ahead of Thomas but who else? McBean's not ready. It's not like we're not playing young players - Martin, Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca have all played almost every game they've been available for since they walked in the door.
Just pointing out that most of what gets said about top teams is usually bullshit. You take an approach that suits where you are at, all the players we have that are in the 24-29(generalization) category, came from another club and the spuds we are hoping to get rid of, differ that to Geelong and Hawthorn and the players they have in those age brackets are most of their guns. We still need to feed games to our youngsters, as there are far too many spots in our 22 filled with sub par players.

Same for the Hawks:

Simpson and Hallahan have had knee record and massive amounts of
Injuries. Has the world gone crazy .

I'm glad Geelong are keeping Daniel Menzel up their sleeve until he's 28

Which kids in the twos are you two going to pick? It's easy to say the blokes in the ones are substandard - nominate their replacements.
McDonough will offer a lot more than a few in the side. The other few that deserved a go, have been given one for now. We've made some positive changes. I'm more just hopeful Lloyd/Gordon/Arnot don't go out of the side when the others come back because they're currently offering more than a few guys with 100+ games under their belts.

I think a few senior blokes need to get their head out of their asses that they aren't a walk up start. Grigg I feel would still have something to offer us into the future but he's regressing. Edwards is in that same boat as well. Vickery was as well and hopefully this will be a wake up call for him.

Hopefully Lennon gets a go after the bye. Not thrown to the wolves against Geelong/Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson and Hallahan have had knee record and massive amounts of
Injuries. Has the world gone crazy .

I'm glad Geelong are keeping Daniel Menzel up their sleeve until he's 28
Hallahan is also behind some pretty good players. At Hawthorn he'd be behind Lewis. Here he'd be behind Thomas. Fair difference in standard. I like the concept of not throwing kids to the wolves but we just don't have the cattle to keep the talented kids back longer. We've found that out the last few weeks I think and the newbies are having a positive impact on the team.

Hallahan is also behind some pretty good players. At Hawthorn he'd be behind Lewis. Here he'd be ahead of Thomas. Fair difference in standard. I like the concept of not throwing kids to the wolves but we just don't have the cattle to keep the talented kids back longer. We've found that out the last few weeks I think and the newbies are having a positive impact on the team.

Anyone watch the highlights on roarvision? I love that pass from McDonough putting it to the advantage of McBean... need more of that in the Ones..

McDonough will offer a lot more than a few in the side. The other few that deserved a go, have been given one for now. We've made some positive changes. I'm more just hopeful Lloyd/Gordon/Arnot don't go out of the side when the others come back because they're currently offering more than a few guys with 100+ games under their belts.

I think a few senior blokes need to get their head out of their asses that they aren't a walk up start. Grigg I feel would still have something to offer us into the future but he's regressing. Edwards is in that same boat as well. Vickery was as well and hopefully this will be a wake up call for him.

Hopefully Lennon gets a go after the bye. Not thrown to the wolves against Geelong/Hawthorn.
Completely agree.

Vickery wasn't dropped for poor form, rather for team structure. Funnily enough he is a freak and has already kicked 8 goals this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back