List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say extremely physical, I say extremely violent. In a good way.

Love Lazar. Jarman & McLeod would have spent the last qtr at Epworth if he played.
He actually said something along those lines when he was interviewed in the paper a few years ago...

Let's say that our recent form continues, and instead of landing a top 3 pick like we were generally expecting, we get something more like pick 6-8.

From what I can tell about this year's draft, that leaves us in a bit of no-mans-land. The game changing KPFs that we so desperately need and want will all be gone, and we'll likely be looking at a pretty damn good mid (which would be very nice, but not as nice as a key forward).

I think the time has come for drastic measures. We need to get our hands on some of Carlton's old brown paper bags, maybe someone like Lindsay Fox would be happy to fill them up? We take them to Peter Wright, and just get him to act like a bit of a dick head. Not enough for him to get arrested, but maybe he could get himself expelled from a school or two, and maybe he could spend a couple of afternoons with the Hell's Angels. His draft stock falls, a la Franklin and Darling, and we take a "huge gamble" on a "trouble maker" (only we know it's all an act) without having to trade our way up the pecking order.

Oh, and make sure someone lets Pelchen and co. in on it at some point.

Let's say that our recent form continues, and instead of landing a top 3 pick like we were generally expecting, we get something more like pick 6-8.

From what I can tell about this year's draft, that leaves us in a bit of no-mans-land. The game changing KPFs that we so desperately need and want will all be gone, and we'll likely be looking at a pretty damn good mid (which would be very nice, but not as nice as a key forward).

I think the time has come for drastic measures. We need to get our hands on some of Carlton's old brown paper bags, maybe someone like Lindsay Fox would be happy to fill them up? We take them to Peter Wright, and just get him to act like a bit of a dick head. Not enough for him to get arrested, but maybe he could get himself expelled from a school or two, and maybe he could spend a couple of afternoons with the Hell's Angels. His draft stock falls, a la Franklin and Darling, and we take a "huge gamble" on a "trouble maker" (only we know it's all an act) without having to trade our way up the pecking order.

I figure unless a gun KPF is there at our pick, we go for the best available and grab a McKenzie or Watchman with the second pick.

I figure unless a gun KPF is there at our pick, we go for the best available and grab a McKenzie or Watchman with the second pick.
I hope we go best available with all picks we take into the draft and if Frawleys form in the forward line continues have a crack at trying to get him, heck even if it doesn't i hope the saints at least put an offer to him.
Trade for what ever other needs we need when the list settles.

For the love of god please don't let us go after Frawley. He is too old, too expensive and doesn't fit anything the club has been saying they will do (FA's from 2016).

I don't see why he would come to us unless no body else is interested, in which case we should take the hint and leave him at the Demons. Hopefully the Hawks go after him so even if we want him we don't get him.

If GWS get pick 1 or 2 and a priority they might decide they don't need 14 KPFs on their list and go for mids with their high picks.

Pick 6 could still net us a good tall (Wright, Durdin, McCartin, Lever, Goddard) or one of Brayshaw/Weller/Lamb.

Failing that though we could look for a 2 for 1 type deal from someone ala West Coast with Collingwood last year?

Gold Coast have a compo pick tied to Geelong so maybe our first rounder for that compo pick (16-19 assuming Geelong finish top 4) and a player on the outer (Gorringe? Hutchins? Taylor? Help me out here Rahul )

And i'm sure i'm not the only one that thinks that Newnes is a massive asset to have in our team considering 1) he can win his own ball (a very underestimated quality to have), 2) he can play complete shut-down type role & sacrifice his game for the team, 3) can easily be rotated through the midfield, 4) has great leadership skills & will probably be added to the leadership squad within the next 2 years

Good post, could I also add that the kid can actually kick the ball? Not a chance we would trade him out. We have too many ball-butchers as it is, I reckon we would be nuts to trade away a bloke who can actually hit a target. I would also add that I reckon his kicking will improve even more as he becomes experienced... I have a feeling he will be one of the elite ball users in the competition once he hits 100 games. He is tracking along very, very nicely.

I keep saying this, but I think we'll trade one of the young crew. It's an unpopular thought, and it'll be an unpopular action, but I think you could package a good young player and good pick (say pick 22) for a pick in the 8-16 range and get a much better good young player. Remember this is the first draft for a while where there's actually the best 10 young players in the country (and beyond - there's an Irish kid getting a lot of hype) actually available in the first 10 picks. I really can see someone like Saunders or Newnes getting traded. Yes they are good contributing players (Saunders one of my faves, Newnes having a breakout year) but I don't think either will ever be a gun player.
If this is a good draft, and it's an uncompromised one, I would give up Jack Newnes to end us up with picks 3 and 8 for example if those two players ended up being guns.
Or Sean Dempster - he's playing reasonably well but he's the spare, the 3rd-man up. This is one of the easier roles for someone else (Roberton?) to move into. He's still good for a clanger per game too. Think when we are ready for the next tilt, it'll be without him.

Geary and Gwilt are FAs so they won't be traded - if they leave, they will just leave.
Armitage has limited value; Richmond will probably lean on Thomas now instead of fix the need they have for a hard-nut type in the middle. Carlton have other problems to address and must surely realise giving up a decent pick for a player like Armo isn't going to help their situation.
The 'window' to sell Gilbert to GCS has closed I reckon. By the start of 2015 season he'll be four years off his best form and will likely have played something like 18 games in two years. And their players will be a year more developed, and with KK playing off HB. I think Gilbert will have become a risk for any club really, certainly not one you'd give up a decent pick for - you'd rather take that risk with a youngster in the draft I reckon.

I think when Pelchen said he wanted to increase our draft picks in the next few drafts, it was bearing in mind that they would be uncompromised drafts. I also however think their move for Longer shows they are flexible; if there's a shallow draft pool one year they might instead switch to a trading tactic. Or by then you might be able to trade a pick this year for one next year.

I reckon:
2014 - trade Newnes and 2nd round for 1st round pick
2014 - trade Seb Ross for 2nd round pick
2014 - delist Siposs, TDL
2015 - trade Sean Dempster for late 1st/early 2nd round pick (if not already done in 2014)
2015 - delist Murdoch, White, Holmes/Pierce (maybe both)
2016 - trade Billy Longer for 1st round pick
2016 - trade Blake Acres for 1st round pick
2016 - delist ????

I think having Hickey and Longer means we are likely to have either one of them not turn out well, or if they both turn out good then we'll have to move one on. Our rucks list right now is too young, which is fine because they can still train vs Jolly and we're not challenging now. But by 2018 I think we'll have Hickey or Longer plus AN other who is a pinch-hitter, potentially someone more experienced.

I see Acres as a high go-home risk, but one who should get us good comp.
By 2016 we even could be looking at delisting Savage, Lee or others who haven't "made it", to set us up for getting good picks and being big players in FA in 2017 - - - and by 2017 I'd say it's likely you'll get to sign players a year younger than now and maybe even let players buy out their own final year to get to FA.

Not in agreement with who you have listed for trade, delist etc, but a great read and appreciate the thought thats gone into it. I think you are on the right track, in that Pelchen has already shown a ruthlessness, to move on older players with value, for high draft picks. Makes equal sense that when we have run out of the older players, to keep this party trick going, that we turn to other younger players, who we can bundle together with picks, to upgrade our picks and the whole list.

This strategy is high risk, high reward. It is perfect, as long as Trout, Bains and crew keep picking winners with these upgraded picks. Where it all goes pear shaped, is if we trade away good players and then draft duds. Over the last two years - especially last year - they nailed it. If they continue to draft that well and Pelchen keeps pulling the draft pick rabbits from the hat, this is a great play. Be more than interesting to see it pan out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hate reading this thread sometimes, some people come up with the most dumbest trade ideas, it makes me think what would make you even think that?
- to trade Newnes at the end of the year? Wtf, no chance his going to be a gun
- trade acres end of 2016? No comment
- trade Dempster for 1st/2nd rounder? If we get that for him who will be 30 years old, take that in a heart beat but won't happen!
- Armitage is probably worth something, but Richardson has said his the future of this club and a leader, doubt he will say yes to him leaving
- we don't know what the future drafts hold beyond the coming one, as in depth, quality and positions of the kids and we don't know if other clubs will want what we offer, let's just take it year by year.

Not a fan of trading Newnes, who I believe is a keeper and could actually end up as a A Grade player. But the point of Ike2012's post was the method of getting upgraded picks by moving on players, who the coaches and recruiters believe can be replaced by a better player. This is the basis of all list management each year, it is simply that we have over the past two years adopted a more aggressive approach and it was speculated that we may continue to do this, but with some of the younger players in coming drafts.

Personally, I reckon we could get overs from Essendon for Ross and Dunell as a package, given the family connections.
With Dunell I think there been trying him as a forward, and its working atm, opposition sides are finding it hard to match up on him because of his size and his been reading the ball well, his a good leader, never shuts up I've heard!!

I reckon with Pelchen's history and the way footy is going, probably the biggest factor in whether a player could be put up for trade is "can he hit a target?" If the answer is not enough, then he will be potentially trade-bait.
I agree. I don't really want us recruiting 'athletes' anymore, I'd like us to get more 'footballers'.... Billings, Acres, Templeton & Dunstan all fit this mould & have solid foot skills & footy smarts.

More blokes with great foot skills & footy smarts please!

I think that's the problem. I think for it to work properly, the player must be a forward first & ruckman second.

It's easy to just have a player 'compete' in the ruck & get away with it, provided your midfielders are very good.

I agree, that seems the easier way. I ended up with a serious man-crush on Justin Westoff after being at the Power-Cats semi final last year. He's been great this year but in 2013 was still mostly under the radar. But in that game saw him leading as a forward, sitting as a defensive shield on the defensive 50, and pinch-hitting in the ruck.
I'm not convinced he knew much about what he was doing in the ruck, but he generally just leapt up and laid a solid punch to the ball - expecting his agile midfield to pounce on it wherever it ended up. Was certainly good enough, and whilst it's not vintage tap-work, if your guys know that you'll be aiming to just thump it the way you're facing, it achieves the same aim (and keeps the opponent from getting tap-clear-mark in f50). He beat the highly-hyped Cats guy (can't remember his name) a good 2 or 3 times.

I agree. I don't really want us recruiting 'athletes' anymore, I'd like us to get more 'footballers'.... Billings, Acres, Templeton & Dunstan all fit this mould & have solid foot skills & footy smarts.

More blokes with great foot skills & footy smarts please!

I dare you to go up and tell Holmes to piss off, or Giovanni for that matter.
Its never as simple, you need to consider where they are in the draft and who they are displacing off the list and how many you already have in that category.
Its not as simple as rookie listing them, because they make take a couple of years after they come off the rookie list.

I hear that Jack Watts has excellent foot skills.

With Dunell I think there been trying him as a forward, and its working atm, opposition sides are finding it hard to match up on him because of his size and his been reading the ball well, his a good leader, never shuts up I've heard!!

We do have a lot of forwards though, will Dunell get a gig ahead of Markworth, Sippos, Billings?
Maybe we could trade Dunell and Ross for Jake Carlisle :D

Well he can't be all that worse then Rhys Stanley at kicking goals... He's only kicked 3 this year, so not going lose much in reality.

firstly i think stanley is improving each week

secondly i cant see longer doing any better. how many did he kick in the pre-season when he was playing forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back