Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So now we are at the stage where poller can pull a figure from his arse, claim boats are being hidden and people take him seriously.

Embarrassing.

http://m.watoday.com.au/federal-pol...ments-boat-towback-policy-20140423-zqxz1.html

United Nations representatives have joined the criticism of the Abbott government's boat tow-back policy and called on Australia to process asylum seekers who reach Australian waters instead of returning them to Indonesia.

The regional head of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees also revealed that Australia has refused to provide information to its inquiry about three asylum seekers who claim they had their hands deliberately burned during a tow-back mission in January.

And UNHCR senior regional protection adviser Tom Vargas criticised Australia’s proposal to send refugees to Cambodia, saying it was “not in the spirit of resettlement”.

The frank broad critique come after a two-day conference in Jakarta, attended by Australia’s deputy ambassador to Indonesia David Engel and representatives of 14 other countries, to discuss the protection of refugees in the region.

http://m.watoday.com.au/federal-pol...ments-boat-towback-policy-20140423-zqxz1.html

United Nations representatives have joined the criticism of the Abbott government's boat tow-back policy and called on Australia to process asylum seekers who reach Australian waters instead of returning them to Indonesia.

The regional head of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees also revealed that Australia has refused to provide information to its inquiry about three asylum seekers who claim they had their hands deliberately burned during a tow-back mission in January.

And UNHCR senior regional protection adviser Tom Vargas criticised Australia’s proposal to send refugees to Cambodia, saying it was “not in the spirit of resettlement”.

The frank broad critique come after a two-day conference in Jakarta, attended by Australia’s deputy ambassador to Indonesia David Engel and representatives of 14 other countries, to discuss the protection of refugees in the region.

*UN policy: Start the Boats Again and tell the world as soon as they appear on Horizon.":thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

When the UN gets its act together on Syria, North Korea, Sudan, Congo and other areas where it has failed miserably then they can offer advice to a country whose policies have stopped deaths at sea and are concerned with protecting their borders. The UN is great at dishing out advice and doing nothing where hard work is required.

why cant you answer the question?

I really want to see the Labor lackeys explain this.
Maybe rather than insulting your fictional enemies with misspelt insults, you could try reading the last few pages of posts, rather than demanding an answer to a question that has been answered over and over again. That is - if you are actually interested in an informed answer rather than a political slogan.

I was appalled by that report & immediately thought what the heck has this country become like in these last few years & yet you jest about it.

Not to worry though we stopped the boats nothing else matters.
It's amazing. We have allowed ourselves to be convinced that the refugees arriving here offer the biggest threat to our way of life since the domino theory was au courant, and that to "stop the boats" it's necessary and right to operate such a programs OSB and offshore detention.

I was appalled by that report & immediately thought what the heck has this country become like in these last few years & yet you jest about it.

Not to worry though we stopped the boats nothing else matters.

Always happy to provide an opportunity others to feel morally superior for a few lines of text on the internet. :thumbsu:

Always happy to provide an opportunity others to feel morally superior for a few lines of text on the internet. :thumbsu:
These folk are human beings, like you or me. You're happy to see them suffer as they are, so as to serve as a deterent to others, to be made an example of in the way in which they are? You think that is a good idea?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad there is an overseeing body like the UN.

Given this is their biggest concern, it suggests we are managing the issue very well.

These folk are human beings, like you or me. You're happy to see them suffer as they are, so as to serve as a deterent to others, to be made an example of in the way in which they are? You think that is a good idea?

I'm 100% for helping refugees. I have posted before that I would like an increase in our yearly take, but not a single irregular arrival among them.

I'm not going to he emotionally blackmailed into helping the corrupt indonesian run refugee policy that was created.

He says with tears rolling down his face, when are your going to stop using this as a genuine concern.

How far does sympathy and concern have to extend? It's pretty much why all the political point scoring is useless.

It is incredible i Think how people putting up the dialogue about all these refugees are humans being mistreated are absolutely ignorant. They completely conveniently lovingly look over the fact that they are actually in breach badly of Australian law and also that they are subject to a lovely legal test called the 'No Disadvantage Test.' The No Disadvantage test means exactly what the name says it does. There is intended to be simply no disadvantage towards the refugees off shore wanting/waiting for asylum or refugee status. Hence why the detention's determined on the time people wait off shore to get granted approved status. Secondly the Migration Act expressly states subjects who will come to Australia without what is required of them document wise such as a valid visa or passport will wholly be subject to the detention immediately until usual process takes place to determine this. It is specifically stated in the act and also this clause that the people seeking asylum will qualify as non citizen and as a result are also the same as anyone else in the same boat. Further failures to look at the fact foremost that customary law uinternational or ortherwise will need to be placed into Australian legislation to take any legal and enforceable position in this country and that there is no near mention of the HCR. The last legal oversight obviously is on the fact that the Chu case 20 years or so ago states there's the requirement to take the position of Australian law first and foremost over any other law regarding customary law or internationally signed treaties. Thus there must be without doubt the requirement for the statute to exist in law in Australia before basically any court considers it.

How far does sympathy and concern have to extend? It's pretty much why all the political point scoring is useless.

Its irrelevant in the context of having a debate about this issue.

The reality is that 1100 people died because of a massive policy failure.

Whether one is crying behind their keyboard or not doesn't change that fact.

Its irrelevant in the context of having a debate about this issue.

The reality is that 1100 people died because of a massive policy failure.

Whether one is crying behind their keyboard or not doesn't change that fact.

The middle line you are correct but the top line you are not, how can you call the harsh & at times cruel treatment of people in detention under our so called protection as irrelevant is to put it mildly puzzling.

The middle line you are correct but the top line you are not, how can you call the harsh & at times cruel treatment of people in detention under our so called protection as irrelevant is to put it mildly puzzling.

I'm talking about the accusation of crocodile tears whenever drownings are brought up. It is irrelevant.

I can only guess it's a means to an end. The Libs have gone down a very hard line approach, they aren't the only ones, if it achieves their goal of stopping asylum seeking via people smuggling it will be a success.

That doesn't mean the problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back