LVFNL 2013

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
Featherby is a coach with no gameplan.

For those of you who are familiar with the BFL, he is a Ben Dyett carbon copy; great recruiter and spruiker but has very little in the way of substance when it comes to coaching a game plan let alone a plan B when the chips are down. Cost Serp the flag last year in the QF? I think it against Bridgy when players were arrogantly brought off and rested up only to be rolled in a great comeback. It was obvious to all and sundry that he had little answers in the GF when a far better coached and arguably less talented Bridgy ran all over them and took the cup. Several basic, obvious changes were needed but simply weren't. Not sure how this is acceptable from a non playing coach but we'll see I guess...

Now Bridgy have even more talent and Serp have treaded water (still a lot of recruits, but quality is hardly there) or even regressed slightly. It's going to be very difficult for them or anyone really to get the cup, still early but looks hard.

What were the several basic, obvious changes that needed to be made in the Grand Final?

ONBALLROTATION

Debutant
May 30, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
What were the several basic, obvious changes that needed to be made in the Grand Final?
perhaps starting with your best on ballers in the middle might be good way to start the final quarter, wilson and nolan didnt go into the middle until about ten minutes into the last and had an immediate effort. and perhaps a different match up on big collins?

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
perhaps starting with your best on ballers in the middle might be good way to start the final quarter, wilson and nolan didnt go into the middle until about ten minutes into the last and had an immediate effort. and perhaps a different match up on big collins?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Collins was allowed at least 40m of space with a one on one. I mean c'mon. Gladman, Rippingale, Olsen etc. should have been sent to sit in the hole, instead Hayes was left to flounder one out against a what, 120kg barge arse who had great delivery and adrenaline flowing. A junior coach could have made this call. I was with about 5 or 6 blokes who just couldn't believe it.

Hutton played on with a torn hamstring which was known. He's a great player but if you can't move, what good are you? He provided 0 after half time. Make the call.

Sargeant was dropped for a vanilla, outside runner. That's nothing on match day decisions but why drop a proven GF player (which they had one or two of at most compared to everyone on the oppositon) who is tough as nails and has a raking left foot who you have 0 players like for a small, outside player who you have about 6 or 7 of? I'll tell you why, personal beef. Stupid decision.

Also as OBR pointed out about the mids.

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Collins was allowed at least 40m of space with a one on one. I mean c'mon. Gladman, Rippingale, Olsen etc. should have been sent to sit in the hole, instead Hayes was left to flounder one out against a what, 120kg barge arse who had great delivery and adrenaline flowing. A junior coach could have made this call. I was with about 5 or 6 blokes who just couldn't believe it.

Hutton played on with a torn hamstring which was known. He's a great player but if you can't move, what good are you? He provided 0 after half time. Make the call.

Sargeant was dropped for a vanilla, outside runner. That's nothing on match day decisions but why drop a proven GF player (which they had one or two of at most compared to everyone on the oppositon) who is tough as nails and has a raking left foot who you have 0 players like for a small, outside player who you have about 6 or 7 of? I'll tell you why, personal beef. Stupid decision.

Also as OBR pointed out about the mids.

Seems a bit harsh he has Coached 2 Runner-Up teams and Semi I think from only a few years of Coaching so its a decent record. I heard Sargeant was flicked because of his training attendances/poor performances in the previous matches leading up to the GF. Talented player and would have been in their best side but if you dont know the dynamics of what was happening within the Club then its hard to nail a Coach like you have K man.

Hellboy having played the Woods last week and having knowledge of Calivils side no doubt do you think Inglewood can roll them tomorrow? Be great for their Club if they can.

Newontheblock

Draftee
Sep 22, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apart from the Marong V YCW game, good to see a fairly competitive round yesterday, good signs for the league this year.
Surprising result at Serp yesterday or has everyone severely underestimated Newbridge?

Was at Calivil yesterday and it interesting to see how similar both the Vil and I'wood are. Size, age and style of game were all similar and allowed for a competitive game. Was close all day but in the end the Demons top end players in the likes Ritchie, McDonald, Millar and Scholtes stood up when needed, McDonald seemed to be the difference in the last quarter, kicking 3 goals and setting up another.
Was a great game to watch considering these two are meant to be the cellar dwellers of the competition and both clubs will have decent futures if they can keep their lists together.

Nothingtofear

Debutant
Oct 31, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Good competitive round of footy this weekend. Serp are struggling early they would want to get going very soon! I caught the 2nd half of pyramid and miti and wow wee. The umpiring was an absolute disgrace. Ruined a great game. The 2 old blokes in charge are not up to it. Free kick after free kick and on 2 occasions changer their mind on decisions and decided to throw the ball up instead ! The super roos were the more impressive side. A lot of new faces I didn't recognize many. I dare say once they gel which could take a while, they will be very dangerous. Grayling looked dangerous up forward for pyramid he should kick 80-90 this year

Claude Critchley

Senior List
Feb 4, 2012
Pall Mall
AFL Club
Carlton
Good competitive round of footy this weekend. Serp are struggling early they would want to get going very soon! I caught the 2nd half of pyramid and miti and wow wee. The umpiring was an absolute disgrace. Ruined a great game. The 2 old blokes in charge are not up to it. Free kick after free kick and on 2 occasions changer their mind on decisions and decided to throw the ball up instead ! The super roos were the more impressive side. A lot of new faces I didn't recognize many. I dare say once they gel which could take a while, they will be very dangerous. Grayling looked dangerous up forward for pyramid he should kick 80-90 this year

Heard pretty much the same from numerous people.. Grayling is a monster and his on field leadership spreads further than just kicking goals.

On the umpiring have heard from both sides on how poor it was. Spoke to someone from pyramid and even they couldn't believe how poor it was and one sided against Miti.. Not a good look I wouldn't reckon..

Serp claim they had a 8 or so senior players missing on the weekend.. Factual or have they missed the mark? Anyone know if Wilson will get weeks?.

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still very early in the piece but it looks like it could be a 6 way race for the final 5 spots.
Bridgey Pyramid Serp Newbridge Miti and Marong if any of those Club's were to miss they would be highly dissapointed Id think.
Who misses guys?
Serp probably have to win 12 to 13 of their last 14 to get a double chance now which is where 95% plus of the Flags are won from.

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tips this weekend guys? Bit quite on here

Newbridge to give Bridgey a good run before Bridgey win by 6 goals or so. Rhys Ford is a very good pick up for Newbridge.
Serp will surely get on the board by 10 or 11 goals def wont be any money if they go down. Woods have improved but you fear they need some reward for effort shortly.
Miti and Marong looks like a toss of the coin. Miti by 1 point.
YCW at home to Calivil they will need to be better than last week but think they can be. Eagles by 8.

Anyone else?

Blueboys1234

Rookie
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Umpires wrecked what was a good game of football never seen so many free kicks paid in a game.. Perri and Meroli where in the best few on the ground.. China and spooner will improve once they start clunking there marks and ingly did a fair job on grayling considering at least 4 to 5 of his goals where directly from 50m penaltys or down the field free kicks.. Just hoping the boys can put a 4 qaurter effort in this week and start to gel together

Nothingtofear

Debutant
Oct 31, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Bridgewater 45 points
Serpentine 49 points
Mitiamo 16 points
Calvill 12 points.

Really looking forward to seeing how this year turns out. 4 or 5 teams really can push for a top 3 finish. A good influx of players into the competition and it's great to see the LVFL getting stronger. When is the rep squad announced? Should be a fairly strong squad this year

Claude Critchley

Senior List
Feb 4, 2012
Pall Mall
AFL Club
Carlton
Umpires wrecked what was a good game of football never seen so many free kicks paid in a game.. Perri and Meroli where in the best few on the ground.. China and spooner will improve once they start clunking there marks and ingly did a fair job on grayling considering at least 4 to 5 of his goals where directly from 50m penaltys or down the field free kicks.. Just hoping the boys can put a 4 qaurter effort in this week and start to gel together
You play at Miti Bluey? Word is the free kick count was 47-10 in Pyramids favour. Surly the Superoos need to be more discipline if they are to improve this season..

Newbridge would be hoping for an honest showing against Bridgy.. Ford is quick they say but Bridgy would have to most options down back.. Will be interested in result..

Beers

Rookie
Mar 24, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
You play at Miti Bluey? Word is the free kick count was 47-10 in Pyramids favour. Surly the Superoos need to be more discipline if they are to improve this season..

Newbridge would be hoping for an honest showing against Bridgy.. Ford is quick they say but Bridgy would have to most options down back.. Will be interested in result..
Was talking to a bloke from pyramid even he said miti just had to look at the umps and it was a free kick also said Mckean perri and maroli best for miti but that was then.Big games this week

ONBALLROTATION

Debutant
May 30, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Went and watched this game the free kick count quoted would be pretty close to being spot on but half of mitiamos free were due to arguing and backchat lead by there coach who would have cost them three goals at least. Umpires were ordinary but miti kept lipping off which proved costly in the end. Ingley went o.k was beaten 1 on 1 but was let down by poor discipline from team mates. All in all miti lost themselves the game. Lack of discipline cost them. Will definitely improve meroli did what he wanted and perri worked hard all day. Didn't rate spooners game was beaten all day 1 out.. Had decent supply really Should have kicked a bag.

Beers

Rookie
Mar 24, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Let the game of footy be played the crowds not there to watch the umpires be control freaks turn it up umpires

Hellboy

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd been reserving any comment on Mitiamo until I had seen them play. Now that I have, there are two things that are pretty obvious to me - Mitiamo are not a top 3 side, and Matt Perri is an absolute superstar.

And before anyone makes comment about "Marong only winning by 10 points so they can't be much better " etc. etc. Marong were far from impressive, and based on their game are not a top 3 side either.

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
t
I'd been reserving any comment on Mitiamo until I had seen them play. Now that I have, there are two things that are pretty obvious to me - Mitiamo are not a top 3 side, and Matt Perri is an absolute superstar.

And before anyone makes comment about "Marong only winning by 10 points so they can't be much better " etc. etc. Marong were far from impressive, and based on their game are not a top 3 side either.

mitiamo were without there superstar and candidate for league b&f in denis, a big big out

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide

The Full Forward recruit for Mitiamo Michael Spooner did he get injured in the match or just struggled on the day?

Good win for YCW against Calivil they might be a dangerous side on their day. Did I hear right that they too have Alan Didak playing a game for them before Marong? Bit strange to grab the same player.

Hellboy

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Full Forward recruit for Mitiamo Michael Spooner did he get injured in the match or just struggled on the day?

Good win for YCW against Calivil they might be a dangerous side on their day. Did I hear right that they too have Alan Didak playing a game for them before Marong? Bit strange to grab the same player.

Nothing wrong with Spooner, simply didn't get a kick. Could have had 3 or 4 by quarter time if he'd kicked straight. From there on the delivery to him was pretty poor and when it wasn't he was soundly beaten in the air.

Couldn't believe what I was hearing about Didak on the radio last night. Bit ordinary on both YCW and his managers behalf I reckon.

Back