Ryan Griffen vs Trent Cotchin

Ryan Griffen vs Trent Cotchin

• Ryan Griffen

Votes: 94 75.2%
  • Trent Cotchin

Votes: 31 24.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield, Sloane, Rockliff, Beams, Pendlebury, Swan, Goddard, Watson, Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow, Selwood, Ablett, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Hodge, A Swallow, Deledio, Jack, JP Kennedy, Hannebery, Griffen. That's not including ruckmen who are basically midfielders nowadays anyway.
You forgot Stanton!

It's just that people don't like Richmond or they don't like Cotchin, from all reports he's a top bloke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just that people don't like Richmond or they don't like Cotchin, from all reports he's a top bloke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or, they think he's notas good as some are proclaiming. Just putting that out there.

You're wrong. The coaches are wrong. The players are wrong. The umpires are wrong. Rory Sloane and Callan Ward are clearly better.
WAAAAAAAAAAH! Somebody doesn't rate Cotchin! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

WAAAAAAAAAAH! Somebody doesn't rate Cotchin! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The fact that you say that the players who play AFL footy are wrong about ranking someone top 10 in the league is ridiculous, his coaches award says that as well, just stop embarrassing yourself now.

The fact that you say that the players who play AFL footy are wrong about ranking someone top 10 in the league is ridiculous, his coaches award says that as well, just stop embarrassing yourself now.
Cotchin's a good player. No doubt about that. His coaches award is basically because no matter how s**t he was Dimma always gave him votes.

"No matter how s**t he was".

In 2012

Lol

I guess the umpires just gave him votes no matter how s**t he was too.
I thought he won it last year. My bad

Cotchin's a good player. No doubt about that. His coaches award is basically because no matter how s**t he was Dimma always gave him votes.

Now your just trolling.

While I don't agree with eth-dog's rating, I do want to point out that these things don't at all dictate reality.

Firstly, players don't watch all games and may not have any better idea of where a player rates than an avid and informed viewer of the league.

Secondly the coaches award is not a ranking system. It's an in-game voting award. Nothing more. Cotchin could get 10 votes playing in Match One, performing at the same level as Player X, who only netted 6 votes in Match Two, because Player Y and Player Z performed better in Match Two than both of them ... which also means Cotchin may get 10 votes in Match One and Player Z might get 10 votes in Match Two, yet Player Z had a far superior game; they just both happened to be BOG in their games. In other words 10 votes from one game is not equal to 10 votes from another game, which means two players on 100 votes each doesn't necessarily mean they've performed to the same level; you might even find a player with 90 votes who's performed better.

While I don't agree with eth-dog's rating, I do want to point out that these things don't at all dictate reality.

Firstly, players don't watch all games and may not have any better idea of where a player rates than an avid and informed viewer of the league.

Secondly the coaches award is not a ranking system. It's an in-game voting award. Nothing more. Cotchin could get 10 votes playing in Match One, performing at the same level as Player X, who only netted 6 votes in Match Two, because Player Y and Player Z performed better in Match Two than both of them ... which also means Cotchin may get 10 votes in Match One and Player Z might get 10 votes in Match Two, yet Player Z had a far superior game; they just both happened to be BOG in their games. In other words 10 votes from one game is not equal to 10 votes from another game, which means two players on 100 votes each doesn't necessarily mean they've performed to the same level; you might even find a player with 90 votes who's performed better.

You're argument is valid. Do you rate the Brownlow? It's voting is on the same principal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd put Griffen > Cotchin (just), but there on the same 'level' in terms of midfielders in my opinion. Not much separating them at their best.

How I'd rank the top 25 or so AFL midfielders currently:

(A++) Ablett | (A+) Pendlebury, Selwood, Watson, S.Johnson, Mitchell, Swan | (A) Barlow, Dangerfield, Beams, Griffen, Mundy, K.Jack, Murphy, Fyfe, Cotchin, Boak, Swallow, Rockliff, Deledio, Kennedy, Ebert, Boyd, N.Jones, Steven, Ward, Sloane

Last edited:
Why do Richmond fans take people not rating Cotchin so personally?

Griffen is the better player now and Cotchin will have to play at a high level for a few more years to eclipse him. Griffen is a much more damaging footballer to boot, whereas Cotchin is more of an accumulator.

I'd also take Griffen's best and fairest in a top four team over Cotchin's Joel Bowden medal.

How to u split those two, absolute replica's of each other. They both frequently go missing when it matters and neither will ever lead their team anywhere, i doubt either of them will ever play finals for the rest of their lives

How to u split those two, absolute replica's of each other. They both frequently go missing when it matters and neither will ever lead their team anywhere, i doubt either of them will ever play finals for the rest of their lives
Think you're mixing Griffen with Murphy

Think you're mixing Griffen with Murphy

I suppose i should have mentioned alot of griffins poor performances have been due to carrying or recovering from injuries, whereas cotchin doesnt really have an excuse. His best season was when they had the draw from paradise and played bunnies most weeks, as far as murphy not leading teams anywhere, couldnt agree more, he needs judd on the park to relieve him of some of the pressure....otherwise he just cant handle it most weeks

And you're right. The man other players say is behind only 8 others in the league is in fact behind 20+ midfielders alone. It's hilarious some of the players you have ahead of him, but each to their own.
To be honest, most players go on about how little football they watch and how they don't read papers or watch tv or any of that, so I'm not so sure they are the most credible assessors. However, I agree that some of the names this other guy is throwing up is ridiculous, I'd probably have him about the 14th best mid going on the last year.

Back