Android phones.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a HTC One, but I have a huge problem with the battery life. I check the battery usage and see that google services is using 81% of the battery. Can't seem to find a genuine solution to lowering this.

So, I've has the HTC M8 for about a week now, and I'm absolutely blown away by it. This thing is bloody amazing. Can't believe how cool it looks, however I've had the dot view case on for the most part as I don't have a proper screen protector just yet. The case is very handy though, although a tad hard to get used to as it doesn't fold all the way back. You really have to use two hands if you have it on as it feels like you might drop it.

I've only just loaded it up with music this morning. I'd been showing off the speakers to everyone with just the few sample songs on there, and they were in shock with how good they are. But just listening to it now with my music on, it's actually scary how loud they are. I'd been showing everyone with the volume up about 2 notches below full, but at the moment I have it on half way and it is blitzing the volume of the sample tracks. I'm too scared to go any further! It's crazy.

Before I got it, I was a little worried about the camera, but those worries have been quickly put to rest. It's definitely good enough for what most people do with mobile photos. Very sharp and vibrant pictures. The post editing software is pretty cool too. I haven't really had much time to play around with it, but from what I've seen so far it's sweet.

And the battery is an absolute beast! Each day I've had it, I've been using it pretty solidly, but I've only been charging it every second day. Most of the time just before I go to bed on the first night, there's well over 3/4's left. It's very hard to run it past half way, that's for sure. And most of this is with mobile data or wifi on constantly.

It's a damn shame that this phone will get overlooked for the Galaxy or iPhone. From what I've seen of the new Galaxy, it has nothing on the M8 (besides camera). Waterproof? Honestly, how many people damage their phone with water? Fingerprint scanner? I read just this morning that it's been hacked already by just holding up a picture of a print. And it looks like a dogs breakfast too.

10/10

So, I've has the HTC M8 for about a week now, and I'm absolutely blown away by it. This thing is bloody amazing. Can't believe how cool it looks, however I've had the dot view case on for the most part as I don't have a proper screen protector just yet. The case is very handy though, although a tad hard to get used to as it doesn't fold all the way back. You really have to use two hands if you have it on as it feels like you might drop it.

I've only just loaded it up with music this morning. I'd been showing off the speakers to everyone with just the few sample songs on there, and they were in shock with how good they are. But just listening to it now with my music on, it's actually scary how loud they are. I'd been showing everyone with the volume up about 2 notches below full, but at the moment I have it on half way and it is blitzing the volume of the sample tracks. I'm too scared to go any further! It's crazy.

Before I got it, I was a little worried about the camera, but those worries have been quickly put to rest. It's definitely good enough for what most people do with mobile photos. Very sharp and vibrant pictures. The post editing software is pretty cool too. I haven't really had much time to play around with it, but from what I've seen so far it's sweet.

And the battery is an absolute beast! Each day I've had it, I've been using it pretty solidly, but I've only been charging it every second day. Most of the time just before I go to bed on the first night, there's well over 3/4's left. It's very hard to run it past half way, that's for sure. And most of this is with mobile data or wifi on constantly.

It's a damn shame that this phone will get overlooked for the Galaxy or iPhone. From what I've seen of the new Galaxy, it has nothing on the M8 (besides camera). Waterproof? Honestly, how many people damage their phone with water? Fingerprint scanner? I read just this morning that it's been hacked already by just holding up a picture of a print. And it looks like a dogs breakfast too.

10/10

Shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up.

I'm happy with my HTC ONE X I'm happy with my HTC ONE X....

Damn you.

10/10

No offense, but that "review" screams "OMG my new phone is totes awesome!!!111" more than a level headed comparison. The M8 and the S5 both have their own strengths and weaknesses, the build and speakers certainly appear better on the M8 but the water resistance and user-replaceable battery in the S5 are also big selling points. Plenty of phones get water damaged and not just by direct contact, moisture in the air can be enough to damage parts and trigger the sensors in the phone that will void your warranty. Consumer level fingerprint sensors are a gimmick and I doubt they'll be seriously used for a while, but throwing that kind of stuff into the market helps develop it and improve it. It's the same way Samsung went from facial recognition to being able to track eye and hand movements. A photo of a fingerprint might beat it, but who can easily get a photo of your fingerprint? The battery is also slightly smaller than the Samsung so any perceived advantage remains to be seen.

Samsung (and Apple, but who gives a * about them? :p) has the big brand name edge at the moment so they probably will kill HTC for sales , but their phones are very solid too. Then again it wasn't that long ago when HTC was the king and no one gave a second thought towards Samsung and the rest of the competition.

Ultimately the HTC, Samsung, and Sony flagships are all pretty damn impressive, and there's still a couple more to be announced, but I doubt anyone would be unimpressed by any of them, it just depends on which feature set appeals to you more. Personally for me the Z2 is standing out, but I'll probably be holding onto my S3 for a little while yet.

Playing with the S5 now for a reasonable period of time has me a tad underwhelmed. Glad I got the Note 3 but I think in the M8 would get my vote for the smaller screen size phone.
Shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up.

I'm happy with my HTC ONE X I'm happy with my HTC ONE X....

Damn you.
I reckon the One X was way ahead of it's time though and still a very solid phone. Used mine for two years. Only thing I was disappointed with was the camera.

Anyone had a problem with drop outs on Note 3 phones. Happens with the first call or two then don't have a problem after that. Same with the Bluetooth connection. Get a 'no service' a couple of times during the first few minutes. It doesn't appear to be related to black holes as it occurs at different spots. Odd. Might be a faulty Sim Card.

I'm having trouble with setting up my internet browser on my s5 and I can't find a certain option in settings. I want to open new Windows behind the one I'm browsing instead of it coming up in front. If you know what I mean? Anyone able to help?

Edit : btw the battery in the s5 is an absolute beast.

I'm having trouble with setting up my internet browser on my s5 and I can't find a certain option in settings. I want to open new Windows behind the one I'm browsing instead of it coming up in front. If you know what I mean? Anyone able to help?

Edit : btw the battery in the s5 is an absolute beast.

Try another browser, I'm pretty sure chrome lets you do it

Thanks dav3, using chrome now.

Well a small review about the s5, the battery life in this thing is amazing. Right now after a 8 hour working day my battery is still on 87% I'm running next 3D launcher, a custom live wallpaper that changes pictures ever 10 seconds. The only thing I do is turn off mobile data when I'm not using the phone, it's a habit I have now since the battery was shocking in my s2.

Thanks dav3, using chrome now.

Well a small review about the s5, the battery life in this thing is amazing. Right now after a 8 hour working day my battery is still on 87% I'm running next 3D launcher, a custom live wallpaper that changes pictures ever 10 seconds. The only thing I do is turn off mobile data when I'm not using the phone, it's a habit I have now since the battery was shocking in my s2.
Did you get it on a plan or unlocked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am looking to get it. But I'm not sure to get it on a plan.
I was already paying $64 a month on my s2 and that contract runs out at the end of this month. You need a minimum of 1.5g a month with a smart phone these days, and those plans are at least $50?

A s5 outright off eBay is what right now? $800 at a guest? 24 months x $50 = $1200. So it's $2000 and my 24 month plan comes to a total of 1950 roughly, so it's pretty much the same either way imo no real difference.

I was already paying $64 a month on my s2 and that contract runs out at the end of this month. You need a minimum of 1.5g a month with a smart phone these days, and those plans are at least $50?

A s5 outright off eBay is what right now? $800 at a guest? 24 months x $50 = $1200. So it's $2000 and my 24 month plan comes to a total of 1950 roughly, so it's pretty much the same either way imo no real difference.
Voda 4G S5 with 3GB Data for $60.

Outright + prepaid is the way to go. I'm done being locked into contracts with telcos.
Telstra encore cap is great.

You work out what you think you need for the month and pay that amount. You also get "credit" that rolls over from month to month that you can spend on extra calls, data, Google apps, etc

And free calls/text within Australia from 6pm to 6am.

I'm no Telstra fan but the encore cap is very good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Seriously who uses 3Gb data per month on their mobile? I'm a pretty heavy user and rarely use more than 1 Gb, I use wifi for data whenever I'm home and 4G when at work and out and about.

Seriously who uses 3Gb data per month on their mobile? I'm a pretty heavy user and rarely use more than 1 Gb, I use wifi for data whenever I'm home and 4G when at work and out and about.

I would have agreed with you until recently, but I'd quite enjoy having 3gb now. With my new phone being 4G I've been watching live footy on my phone via the app on lunch breaks etc at work. Only 10 days into my plan and have almost used 1gb of my 1.5 limit :oops:

I would have agreed with you until recently, but I'd quite enjoy having 3gb now. With my new phone being 4G I've been watching live footy on my phone via the app on lunch breaks etc at work. Only 10 days into my plan and have almost used 1gb of my 1.5 limit :oops:
Which carrier?

Go Telstra and AFL app is unmetered.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back