The Overseas Stadium Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
We probably need a domain for all the stadium poindexters to discuss grounds overseas. Redevelopments, lost arenas, and personal visits...

I'll kick it off with some pretty surprising news for me. So it turns out the Stade Velodrome in Marseille, France, had a total facelift. They've pretty much transformed it from quaint and charismatic to a modern superstadium by increasing a bit of the capacity, refitting seats, and adding this cage-like roof to the thing.

stade-velodrome-marseille1.jpg

velodrome3.jpg

p%C5%99estavba%20Marsille%2019.jpg

p%C5%99estavba%20Marsille%2020.jpg

Stade-Velodrome.jpg

I guess it's interesting how they've built around the ground, a bit like the Olympic Stadium over in Berlin. But they really tore the romanticism out of the place. I grew up with World Cup 98 on the PS One and kind of vowed as a kid to one day see the ground, and I planned to check it during the 2016 Euros. Looks like I never really will get to.

So, anyone else got any updates and upgrades they're interested in? Favourite forgotten pitches? Some photos and experiences from travels abroad?

Thanks Silent Alarm, always enjoy posts on this topic.

I'll just list stadia I've visited (stadium tours and live events) around the world for football, cricket or outdoor sports. Any that warrant further discussion I'll gladly provide more details.

New Zealand:
Basin Reserve (Wellington), Westpac/Cake Tin (Wellington), Jade Stadium (Christchurch),

Germany:
Olympic Stadium (Berlin), Allianz Arena (Munich), Fritz Walter Stadion (Kaiserslautern), Mercedes Benz Arena (Stuttgart).

South Africa:
Wanderers (Johannesburg), Centurion (Pretoria), Newlands (Cape Town), Soccer City (Jo'burg), Ellis Park (Jo'burg), Green Point (Cape Town), ??? (Rustenberg), Moses Madiba (Durban), ??? (Nelspruit).

USA:
CenturyLink Field (Seattle), Safeco Field (Seattle), Husky Stadium (Seattle), Cowboys Stadium (Arlington), Rangers Stadium (Arlington), Superdome (New Orleans), MetLife Stadium (New Jersey), Yankee Stadium (New York), Fenway Park (Boston), Rogers Centre (Toronto), Soldier Field (Chicago).

UK & Ireland:
Wembley (London), Emirates (Arsenal), Stamford Bridge (Chelsea), White Hart Lane (Tottenham), Upton Park (West Ham), Craven Cottage (Fulham), The Den (Millwall), Lords (London), St Marys (Southampton), Fratton Park (Portsmouth), Goodison Park (Everton), Anfield (Liverpool), Old Trafford - cricket & football (Manchester), Etihad (Manchester), Ewood Park (Blackburn), Deepdale (Preston), Bloomfield Road (Blackpool), Britannia (Stoke), Villa Park (Aston Villa), County ground (Notts County), City ground (Nottm Forest), Hillsborough (Sheffield Wednesday), Bramall Lane (Sheffield United), Elland Road (Leeds United), Oakwell (Barnsley), Riverside Stadium (Middlesborough), Stadium of Light (Sunderland), St James Park (Newcastle),
Millenium Stadium (Cardiff), Cardiff City stadium (Cardiff), Liberty stadium (Swansea),
Hampden Park (Glasgow), Ibrox (Rangers), Celtic Park (Celtic), Pittodrie (Aberdeen),
Croke Park (Dublin), Aviva Stadium (Dublin), Thomond Park (Munster),

Yikes, that's more than I expected. Doesn't include indoor sports or arenas (e.g. basketball, ice hockey, tennis etc.).

I'm only 18 and not well travelled by any means, but these are the stadiums I'd love to visit when I get the opportunity:

England/Ireland:
Wembley, Emirates (Arsenal), Anfield (Liverpool), Old Trafford (both cricket and football), Lords, The Oval, Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, The County Ground (Somerset, Taunton), Croke Park (Dublin)
New Zealand:
Basin Reserve (Wellington), Eden Park (Auckland), Davies Park (Queenstown Cricket Ground)
South Africa:
Wanderers (Johannesburg), Centurion (Pretoria), Newlands (Cape Town), St George's Park (Port Elizabeth)
Italy:
San Siro (Milan), Juventus Stadium
Spain:
Camp Nou (Barcelona), Santiago Bernabeu Stadium (Real Madrid)
USA:
Yankee Stadium (New York), Fenway Park (Boston), Metlife Stadium (New Jersey), Soldier Field (Chicago)

There's a couple in France and a few more in the USA that I'd like to have a look at but that's about all off the top of my head.

I'm only 18 and not well travelled by any means, but these are the stadiums I'd love to visit when I get the opportunity:

England/Ireland:
Wembley, Emirates (Arsenal), Anfield (Liverpool), Old Trafford (both cricket and football), Lords, The Oval, Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, The County Ground (Somerset, Taunton), Croke Park (Dublin)
New Zealand:
Basin Reserve (Wellington), Eden Park (Auckland), Davies Park (Queenstown Cricket Ground)
South Africa:
Wanderers (Johannesburg), Centurion (Pretoria), Newlands (Cape Town), St George's Park (Port Elizabeth)
Italy:
Spain:
USA:
Yankee Stadium (New York), Fenway Park (Boston), Metlife Stadium (New Jersey), Soldier Field (Chicago)

There's a couple in France and a few more in the USA that I'd like to have a look at but that's about all off the top of my head.
Would say you are well traveled for 18, thats a great list by any means

Would say you are well traveled for 18, thats a great list by any means
That's where I want to go, not where I have been, haha.
Would certainly have to appreciate the family if that had been the case!

I have been to:

Netherlands: Amsterdam Arena (Ajax), AFAS Stadion (AZ), Koning Willem II Stadion (Willem II)

Belgium: Constant Vanden Stock Stadion (Anderlecht), Sclessin (Standard Liège)

Germany: Westfalenstadion (Borussia Dortmund), Arena aufSchalke (Schalke 04)

and a couple of stadia in Luxembourg and here in the UK. The best I have been to is Schalke's stadium in terms of architecture (although the ArenA runs it close) and for atmosphere it has to be Dortmund as I was in the Südtribune - 22000 people standing!

My dream is to be able to visit the MCG one day as it's unquestionably the best stadium on the planet but the new Adelaide Oval isn't far behind! And of course I'd love to go to Old Trafford.

Been to.
Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace vs West Ham, Crystal Palace vs Cardiff City)
Emirates Stadium (Arsenal vs Hull Tigers, Arsenal vs Everton, Legends Tour, Audio Tour)
Wembley Stadium (Guided tour)
Lords (Guided tour)
Camp Nou (Barcelona vs Cartegena)

Going to.
Georgia Dome (Boise State vs Ole Miss, Atlanta vs New Orleans)
Bronco Stadium (Boise State vs Louisiana-Lafayette)
Rentschler Field (Connecticut vs Boise State)
As well as 1 soccer match (Hopefully FC United of Manchester hopefully at Broadhurst Park)
With potentially others.

Most disappointing for me was the Emirates - great stadium and facilities, but seemed to lack a bit of atmosphere. It was Liverpool too so a fairly big game

I actually really liked Old Trafford - i'd heard stories of it being pretty tame and a tourist / prawn sandwich crowd. Didn't find that at all, it went off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England/Ireland:
New Zealand:
South Africa:
Italy:
Spain:
USA:

I don't get the love for Soldier Field personally. It is a concrete jungle with pretty poor sightlines and the facilities aren't great by NFL standards. However, the atmosphere on a freezing winter night is something else.

Been to:

Santiago Bernabeu (Real Madrid vs Celta Vigo)
Mercedes-Benz Arena (VfB Stuttgart vs Eintracht Frankfurt)
Allianz Arena (Bayern Munich vs FC Kaiserslautern)
Stamford Bridge (Chelsea vs Norwich)
Stade de France (France vs Japan - Football, Racing Metro vs Munster - Rugby Union)

Stade de France was the clear winner from the above 5, but loved the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

I don't get the love for Soldier Field personally. It is a concrete jungle with pretty poor sightlines and the facilities aren't great by NFL standards. However, the atmosphere on a freezing winter night is something else.
Sometimes it's more about the people and the team that occupy the stadium than the stadium itself :)

Been to:

Santiago Bernabeu (Real Madrid vs Celta Vigo)
Mercedes-Benz Arena (VfB Stuttgart vs Eintracht Frankfurt)
Allianz Arena (Bayern Munich vs FC Kaiserslautern)
Stamford Bridge (Chelsea vs Norwich)
Stade de France (France vs Japan - Football, Racing Metro vs Munster - Rugby Union)

Stade de France was the clear winner from the above 5, but loved the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

Add in:

Ibrox Stadium (Rangers vs Livingston)
Villa Park (Aston Villa vs Sunderland)
Twickenham (Halenquins vs Northampton - Rugby Union)
Bergiselschanze (Innsbruck Leg of Ski Jumping Four Hills Tournament)
Parc des Princes (PSG vs Evian)
Stade Olympique Yves-du-Manoir (Racing Metro vs Benetton Treviso)
Olympiastadion (Hertha BSC vs Bayer Laverkusen)

Also saw Ice Hockey at the O2 Arena in Prague and another VfB game (this time against Bayern Munich) at the Mercedes-Benz Arena

By far the best sign i have ever seen at a venue was when i was in Prague and went to a world cup qualifier between Czech Republic and Bulgaria at the Generali Arena. Big sign out the front of the stadium saying no grenades, Knives or guns were permitted.

The stadium reminded me of a run down Optus oval here in Melbourne. Very ordinary.

When put in to comparison the stadiums i frequent in Melbourne being the MCG and Eithad are amazing facilities

Basin Reserve and Hagley Oval were both great for test cricket, also the Caketin was pretty good for a Phoenix game (decent atmosphere despite only being 1/3 or so full).

Have been to baseball at Coors, Wrigley and CitiField in the states, did a tour of Fenway and also visited Yankee Stadium and AT&T park. Walked around Soldier Field also, place just looked weird. Wrigley in the day is a great atmosphere, nice and relaxed.

Have been to cricket at Lords and The Oval also. Both fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back