Preview What do we need to do to beat Geelong ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I only got home late yesterday from a trip away without computer access, then went straight to footy training.

It all seemed too late by then but I'm happy to write one up tomorrow or there is demand.

I only got home late yesterday from a trip away without computer access, then went straight to footy training.

It all seemed too late by then but I'm happy to write one up tomorrow or there is demand.

So, your old man punished you and your brother for the 'broken' gears by making you walk home?

We need the Prince to reign down some Royal punishment. edit: *Just noticed RossFC posted it in general thread 20 mins ago* :oops:

10155255_10152128631528882_5027764261586617514_n.jpg

Last edited:
What do we need to do to beat Geelong.

Bring our best running , fast skillful game. They are slow compared to us. They have bigger bodys. Lets not be scared at the task in front of us. Do our job, and we can beat them. This is our time, we need to grab it.

We're second on the ladder by doing what we do. Don't change anything.

I cant agree with you more....:thumbsu:

what your wearing in that avatar is lovely, is that the Rated R version of the prison bar jumper, a little bit of teal in that would finish it off.. ;)

BTW, welcome aboard to BF...

What do we need to do to beat Geelong.

Bring our best running , fast skillful game. They are slow compared to us. They have bigger bodys. Lets not be scared at the task in front of us. Do our job, and we can beat them. This is our time, we need to grab it.

Seen this clip before, that's a phuking coach.....its the clip that made my decision loud and clear that Ken is the man when we were courting him. If doesn't make you want to do what this:
wall.jpg

Your impotent!

Love Ken, he is inspiring me just to coach....

I've actually been waiting for your preview for this game the whole week lol. Yes, I know I need a life but I've been stuck in the office all week on a really quiet week with not much work to be done so little things excite me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on the serious stuff, I feel like going into this game I have a mixture of emotions.
- Geelong have a fair injury list and we're basically close to 100%. Hell on paper their side looks actually pretty average, a great backline mixed with a few superstars and then a bunch of kids who probably wouldnt get a game in our side when we're full strength.
- However we do know that at a minimum they have a definitely weaker side than we played in that final without Motlop, Chapman and most likely Mackie. Whilst weve improved our best 22.
- We're playing at AO in what will be a game that means a massive amount to our boys, but probably not so much to them.
- We've also proven through showdowns and our finals appearances that our boys seem to be big game players.

When you add all this together it really starts to point towards us having a really great chance this week, and given the state of their list if we dont win then we never will.

However having said all that there is one thing that is blatantly obvious and that is that regardless of who is missing Geelong continue to defy the slide, and there's good reason for that. They do right now look like theyve improved again and are the number 1 team in the comp for a reason. They have the best backline in the comp, they have a top notch power forward, they have a bunch of the top players in the comp Johnson, Selwood, Bartel, Enright and H Taylor. As such whilst they have an pretty ordinary 18-22nd players in their team the guns just release so much pressure from those players and allow them to develop and perform. Last week they disposed of the Hawks so easily last week that it almost defied logic when analysing the sides, which probably just shows how good Geelong are, how solid their gameplan is and how well they execute it as a team regardless of the personnel.

So for me this just creates such mixed feelings about this game. Can we win, yes we can, but can Geelong? Bloody oath they can. At the end of the day they continue to be the proven side and we need to start taking scalps to prove ourselves.

I think if we can take out Selwood and Johnson with Kane and Cassisi (Jonas to take stevie when forward) we'll be well on our way. After that i feel they'll tag Boak but then who else do they put time into. With all our midfield options in Wines, Hartlett, Polec, Wingard, Gray and Ebert i can see us winning that battle but it's the forward line where i have concerns. Clearly Lonergan will quieten a battered Schulz, Westy has been quiet in the absence of Butch and may get the huge job of keeping H Taylor accountable unless Harry just plays the loose man. After that we have good small forward options in Gray, Wingard, White and possibly Monfries which will be the area we need to try and get them. So for me im concerned about our tall forwards and worried about leaving our scoring to the small guys when they still have quality like Kelly and Enright back there.
Surely their forward line without 4 goals from chappy holds far less concerns for us than it used to so hopefully our backline will be a strength this week too. Carlile to Hawkins should be a good match up. Broady may cop attention but that could release Pittard whose having a good (hopefully breakout) year. After that, the idea of McIntosh v Trengove is exciting because we should be able to expose that as well.
Im also pretty confident Lobbe should win the ruck battle.
I think the last spot we should gain an advantage is with Blicavs, ive been watching Geelong a bit and i have no idea how they can continually justify playing him. It basically leaves them a man down as he just doesnt get enough of the ball, and while he may be a good runner his running is clearly wasted and that is one thing we dont do. Our run isnt wasted and it will hurt the opposition which will certainly prove an advantage if they include Blicavs again.

So for all that in summary when i look at it we're playing an undermanned Geelong with our full strength lineup. They have weak links i feel we can exploit and I believe we match up ok on their key players. If our run and pressure levels are up and we dont allow easy rebound from the backline (which will require far better i50 ball use than last week), then i think we can win and really should win if we are to be a top 6 or top 4 team. The unknown quantity of course is just that pure Geelong ability to perform in big games and play as a team, and that will provide the biggest challenge.

So IMO Port by 15 points. It'll be tough and we'll need to play 4 quarters because they will punish any lapse we have but i think theyre ripe for the plucking and we can finally break the hoodoo. If we're even slightly off though i will swing totally to Geelong so fingers crossed we're on.

Ebert to take home the Badcoe medal.

Top post Coobk.

For me its simple.

- Be accountable in our forward line.
- Play physical football through the midfield.
- Be Brave.

Geelong shows that if your club has a great game plan and structure it's about insert player here, rather than having reinventing the wheel. Ultimately it must come unstuck (surely) but their era of being in finals is amazing.

Back on the serious stuff, I feel like going into this game I have a mixture of emotions.
- Geelong have a fair injury list and we're basically close to 100%. Hell on paper their side looks actually pretty average, a great backline mixed with a few superstars and then a bunch of kids who probably wouldnt get a game in our side when we're full strength.
- However we do know that at a minimum they have a definitely weaker side than we played in that final without Motlop, Chapman and most likely Mackie. Whilst weve improved our best 22.
- We're playing at AO in what will be a game that means a massive amount to our boys, but probably not so much to them.
- We've also proven through showdowns and our finals appearances that our boys seem to be big game players.

When you add all this together it really starts to point towards us having a really great chance this week, and given the state of their list if we dont win then we never will.

However having said all that there is one thing that is blatantly obvious and that is that regardless of who is missing Geelong continue to defy the slide, and there's good reason for that. They do right now look like theyve improved again and are the number 1 team in the comp for a reason. They have the best backline in the comp, they have a top notch power forward, they have a bunch of the top players in the comp Johnson, Selwood, Bartel, Enright and H Taylor. As such whilst they have an pretty ordinary 18-22nd players in their team the guns just release so much pressure from those players and allow them to develop and perform. Last week they disposed of the Hawks so easily last week that it almost defied logic when analysing the sides, which probably just shows how good Geelong are, how solid their gameplan is and how well they execute it as a team regardless of the personnel.

So for me this just creates such mixed feelings about this game. Can we win, yes we can, but can Geelong? Bloody oath they can. At the end of the day they continue to be the proven side and we need to start taking scalps to prove ourselves.

I think if we can take out Selwood and Johnson with Kane and Cassisi (Jonas to take stevie when forward) we'll be well on our way. After that i feel they'll tag Boak but then who else do they put time into. With all our midfield options in Wines, Hartlett, Polec, Wingard, Gray and Ebert i can see us winning that battle but it's the forward line where i have concerns. Clearly Lonergan will quieten a battered Schulz, Westy has been quiet in the absence of Butch and may get the huge job of keeping H Taylor accountable unless Harry just plays the loose man. After that we have good small forward options in Gray, Wingard, White and possibly Monfries which will be the area we need to try and get them. So for me im concerned about our tall forwards and worried about leaving our scoring to the small guys when they still have quality like Kelly and Enright back there.
Surely their forward line without 4 goals from chappy holds far less concerns for us than it used to so hopefully our backline will be a strength this week too. Carlile to Hawkins should be a good match up. Broady may cop attention but that could release Pittard whose having a good (hopefully breakout) year. After that, the idea of McIntosh v Trengove is exciting because we should be able to expose that as well.
Im also pretty confident Lobbe should win the ruck battle.
I think the last spot we should gain an advantage is with Blicavs, ive been watching Geelong a bit and i have no idea how they can continually justify playing him. It basically leaves them a man down as he just doesnt get enough of the ball, and while he may be a good runner his running is clearly wasted and that is one thing we dont do. Our run isnt wasted and it will hurt the opposition which will certainly prove an advantage if they include Blicavs again.

So for all that in summary when i look at it we're playing an undermanned Geelong with our full strength lineup. They have weak links i feel we can exploit and I believe we match up ok on their key players. If our run and pressure levels are up and we dont allow easy rebound from the backline (which will require far better i50 ball use than last week), then i think we can win and really should win if we are to be a top 6 or top 4 team. The unknown quantity of course is just that pure Geelong ability to perform in big games and play as a team, and that will provide the biggest challenge.

So IMO Port by 15 points. It'll be tough and we'll need to play 4 quarters because they will punish any lapse we have but i think theyre ripe for the plucking and we can finally break the hoodoo. If we're even slightly off though i will swing totally to Geelong so fingers crossed we're on.

Ebert to take home the Badcoe medal.
Perfect preview. Feel free to take over from Noobz0r for doing pre-match previews as he clearly doesn't dedicate himself to our patronage any longer.
The intangibles that you didn't mention are the letdown factors. We are coming back from a Perth trip. This has proven so far this year and in the past to be a warning bell for tipsters. However, the Cats are also facing the letdown factor after a big game, which equates to something similar to Showdown hangover, and have two less days to prepare. Whoever deals with these problems the best will be the winner. We know that Geelong have the ability to take a weekatatime, but Port have not yet proven themselves in this regard. Time for us to stand up and show the football world that we can beat the best.
Port by about three goals. Or Geelong by less than one. I don't know.

Last edited:
We need to just give our all this week.
As tough as our next 4 weeks of footy are, we can give our absolute all this week, then take it a little easier against GWS. Give our all against Freo then have the bye. Give our all against Hawks, then have Melb. We don't have 2 tough games in a row, effectively tough,bye,tough,bye,tough,bye... need to just run run run against Geelong and don't give them a chance to play their own football. Make them chase us all day long!

Get it out...his post is long enough as it is :)
It's usually women who tell me to " get it out"..
I'll fix it up at home on my PC later for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back