Remove this Banner Ad

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Having recently gotten engaged with the missus, she now wants a joint bank account - for reasons which I mostly agree with. Paying for things for the house, holidays, bills etc its always a case of who owes who. She's not a big spender and we both earn the same so Im not worried about this.

But its gonna be a pain in the arse to call up every direct debiter and let them know my account has changed.

Any advice - surely there is an easier way.

Why would it be a case of "who owes who"? If you're getting married do you still want to keep tabs on "your" money and "her" money?

If you're concerned about the hassle of changing direct debit arrangements why not just keep the old account open and change them over as and when you think of it (though personally I avoid direct debits like the plague). That said I thought the bank could handle the changover for you, but I'm not sure on that.

If you speak with your bank they should change your direct debit details on your behalf.

Joint back account for the mortgage, bills and any joint purchases such as things for the house and holidays.
Keep your own bank for your own personal purchases. Makes life so much easier, trust me.
Thats what we do. Its great.

Joint back account for the mortgage, bills and any joint purchases such as things for the house and holidays.
Keep your own bank for your own personal purchases. Makes life so much easier, trust me.
Thats what we do. Its great.
Have always been curious about joint bank accounts... How do you guys split what goes into the joint account and what goes into your personal account? do you both contribute evenly to the joint account, or is it a percentage of your weekly pay cheque?

Have always been curious about joint bank accounts... How do you guys split what goes into the joint account and what goes into your personal account? do you both contribute evenly to the joint account, or is it a percentage of your weekly pay cheque?
We have an agreed amount on what needs to go in each week to cover bills/mortgage/food. Rest just goes in personal account.

I do not understand why anyone would get a joint bank account
Why wouldn't you? I get you wouldn't rush into it, but we already have a joint account, our savings account, kids accounts, loan account. Adding further accounts, or trying to split bills etc. just seems so problematic. We get x amount in, we pay our expenses, and are left with y amount to spend in one account, rather simple method to manage our household income.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically what we do. Works a treat.

Bought a house a year ago with my girlfriend

We have an account that the mortgage comes out of, we both deposit the same amount each fortnight (roughly half out wage) and it covers all bills that we bpay out of that account and when an excess grows we put it on the house

She's a shift worker so if she has a good fortnight then she gets to keep the reward for it, I'm on a fixed salary so it doesn't change for me

Wife is a stay at home mum for our 1 year old and we have decided it would be best for her not to work now until we have the next kid and then both have started school in 5 years or so. Hopefully she will do some uni in the mean time so she can get a half decent job when she returns to the workforce, so everything is shared.

Even before the first kid came along and the misses was working everything was shared. We haven't had any issues as of yet, she doesn't complain about my ever expanding and overflowing bookshelf and I don't complain about her clothes shopping :)

This is what we do. $X goes into our joint account for all joint expenses and the rest goes into our own accounts. Works perfectly and keeps everything fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back