Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Zaharakis will sort himself out. The most annoying thing about him so far this year is how fumbly he's been in gathering the ball. I think its form and confidence related and I think Anzac day may be something to jolt him out of his rut. I am not expecting him to dominate like last year but I think we might get a better performance than he's put in the first 4 weeks.

You absolutely do not drop a player like Zaharakis. His age, his attributes, the fact that he's easily, easily in our best 10 players you just work with him until he turns around his form.

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
When did anyone seriously suggest dropping Zaka this week? All I can see is the suggestion that he is out of form and struggling.. which is fair enough.

I just hope he rediscovers his first touch and pace.. he is dynamite with the ball in hand.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
When did anyone seriously suggest dropping Zaka this week? All I can see is the suggestion that he is out of form and struggling.. which is fair enough.

I just hope he rediscovers his first touch and pace.. he is dynamite with the ball in hand.

There must come a point when he isn't delivering anywhere near his average. Think that is what some are getting at

lenny2013

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
You absolutely do not drop a player like Zaharakis. His age, his attributes, the fact that he's easily, easily in our best 10 players you just work with him until he turns around his form.

Hopefully he'll show a bit more interest this week and get out of second gear.

If he can't get up and about for Anzac day he never will.

matty lloyd the champ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
At the moment he is more the icing on the cake type player which is a bit beneath the expectations we have of him.

What happened to his ripping PS form? Thought he was going to be in for a big year...

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
At the moment he is more the icing on the cake type player which is a bit beneath the expectations we have of him.

What happened to his ripping PS form? Thought he was going to be in for a big year...

That has to be the nicest way of saying "downhill skier" i've ever seen.

Just looking at his stats for a second while i contemplate the 'drop him' argument.

More possies, more marks, DE up by 5% on last year, and he is very clearly playing half a step short of a gallop at the moment for whatever reason. Case in point he hasn't taken a bounce this year. He's not playing bad footy by any means, and just needs to rediscover his touch to go from good to great, and he's not going to do that in the reserves.

A player of his ilk would go back to the 2nds and get 40 touches with his eyes closed, but that wouldn't do him any good because he's struggling with the pace of AFL footy at the minute, and the only way to regain that touch is...AFL footy.

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
Just looking at his stats for a second while i contemplate the 'drop him' argument.

More possies, more marks, DE up by 5% on last year, and he is very clearly playing half a step short of a gallop at the moment for whatever reason. Case in point he hasn't taken a bounce this year. He's not playing bad footy by any means, and just needs to rediscover his touch to go from good to great, and he's not going to do that in the reserves.

A player of his ilk would go back to the 2nds and get 40 touches with his eyes closed, but that wouldn't do him any good because he's struggling with the pace of AFL footy at the minute, and the only way to regain that touch is...AFL footy.

The team as a whole is playing high disposal chip kick footy which Zaha has been a beneficiary of (albeit not as much as other players). I wouldn't say purely looking at the stats is going to paint the whole picture. Especially where his biggest knock in my eyes has been his defensive efforts.

THOMO_31

All Australian
Apr 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks, Cubs, NY Rangers
Am I the only one on here that thinks he is just a solid citizen? Has the tools to be better but is treading water?

yeah i agree, if you look at the gold coast pre season game he was the number 1 midfielder and he put on a clinic, not that I'm expecting that every week but after watching him then i was like s**t he's going to have a blinder this year. but then soon as Jobe, Goddard, and rest of midfield came back in, its like he leaves it up to them. would really like him to start taking games by the scuff of the neck!!

The team as a whole is playing high disposal chip kick footy which Zaha has been a beneficiary of (albeit not as much as other players). I wouldn't say purely looking at the stats is going to paint the whole picture. Especially where his biggest knock in my eyes has been his defensive efforts.

Marks = workrate imo.

I know we chip it around, but it's not like our mids just stand on opposite points of the centre square and hit each other on the chest, it requires constant movement

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

The game style has inflated the numbers of players behind the ball. Zaharakis has always gotten his 20.

If I think about Zaharakis involvement this year my recollection is very much about forward movement fumbley and ineffective as some of it has been. In fact, the one thing he hasn't been doing is getting too involved in chipping the ball backwards and sideways.

As soon as people start talking about effort you know that the knives are out for alterior purposes. How the * do you gauge effort from your TV screen?

Back