Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had only 10 days to spend in Europe, in August, how would you spend them? Obviously not long enough to see everything, so would you just pick 2-3 places? Which ones?

About the author: likes to party, likes women.

Go! ;)

If you had only 10 days to spend in Europe, in August, how would you spend them? Obviously not long enough to see everything, so would you just pick 2-3 places? Which ones?

About the author: likes to party, likes women.

Go! ;)
Prague - cheap beer, ultra hot women.
Barcelona - depending on where you go drinks are ok priced, great night life, Spanish women (can't go wrong).

Those are my two picks. There will be others. If you need a special place in Prague, I can recommend the Krakora Bar in Zizkov which has a couple of Pumas roaming around. Seriously.

Prague - cheap beer, ultra hot women.
Barcelona - depending on where you go drinks are ok priced, great night life, Spanish women (can't go wrong).

Those are my two picks. There will be others. If you need a special place in Prague, I can recommend the Krakora Bar in Zizkov which has a couple of Pumas roaming around. Seriously.
Doesn't mean it's a good bar mind you...

Berlin/Prague double

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Berlin is a must, though I have spent a couple of months living there. Catch 22... use the time to see new stuff, or take advantage of having friends there (and the fact it is an amazing city). Last time I was there was for work so I kind of have unfinished partying business, I would love to see the place without 6 day work weeks hanging over my head ;) I will be back in Europe again so the whole 'wasting an opportunity to see somewhere new' thing maybe doesn't come in to play. Hrmmm.

Just a quick one for those who have been to Europe lately;
I'm off on a study trip to Italy for a few months in September, and have plans to of course continue around Europe afterwards. I have family in England, so will end my stay there, but want to just find whatever job i can get and see how long i can stay there money wise. I'm in the midst of applying for a 5 year ancestry visa, but am only 20 so don't see a problem with applying for the 2 year general work one. Currently looking at flights, and the price difference between one way/ return has hit me. Ultimately, i don't think i will be there for more than 12 months (but i might) and i have no idea what airport im going to be flying out of (ill probably fly into rome/milan). Another problem i've heard with getting a one way ticket is that it may be a little dodgy arriving into a country with no ticket out. I'm leaning toward just getting a one way ticket to rome, finding my feet and getting another one home again (i have a fair amount of cash in the bank saved), but does anyone advise against this?

Just a quick one for those who have been to Europe lately;
I'm off on a study trip to Italy for a few months in September, and have plans to of course continue around Europe afterwards. I have family in England, so will end my stay there, but want to just find whatever job i can get and see how long i can stay there money wise. I'm in the midst of applying for a 5 year ancestry visa, but am only 20 so don't see a problem with applying for the 2 year general work one. Currently looking at flights, and the price difference between one way/ return has hit me. Ultimately, i don't think i will be there for more than 12 months (but i might) and i have no idea what airport im going to be flying out of (ill probably fly into rome/milan). Another problem i've heard with getting a one way ticket is that it may be a little dodgy arriving into a country with no ticket out. I'm leaning toward just getting a one way ticket to rome, finding my feet and getting another one home again (i have a fair amount of cash in the bank saved), but does anyone advise against this?
I'm not sure you will have any trouble if you have a two year working visa to show them. I remember the first time I was coming over here that the Malaysian Airlines girl at the counter when I was checking in was trying to tell me I needed a return ticket, or at the very least a ticket out of Germany and it was only when I produced my British passport (I am a dual citizen) did she shut up about it. Even going to Prague with Emirates last year I was asked about my ongoing flight and I told them I was a British citizen and they said that was fine.

So in conclusion, I have no idea if it will be a problem for you. Glad to help...

Hi all,

Missus and I are just starting to plan a trip to Europe in 6 months or so. We are going for around 4-5 weeks and wanting to see as much as we can without rushing too much (I know, 4 weeks is not long enough). Prob going to spend 4-5 nights in each country with Prague and Croatia at the top of the list. Most likely Italy, France, Spain (Barcelona) as well but anything else is a maybe at this stage.

I know this is a difficult question to answer with so many variables, but how much should we aim to save for 4 weeks? Only short flights/train, not Aus to Europe; and decent accommodation (say, equivalent to what we would consider 3/4 star here).

Thanks for the advice!

Anyone?

Hi all,

Missus and I are just starting to plan a trip to Europe in 6 months or so. We are going for around 4-5 weeks and wanting to see as much as we can without rushing too much (I know, 4 weeks is not long enough). Prob going to spend 4-5 nights in each country with Prague and Croatia at the top of the list. Most likely Italy, France, Spain (Barcelona) as well but anything else is a maybe at this stage.

I know this is a difficult question to answer with so many variables, but how much should we aim to save for 4 weeks? Only short flights/train, not Aus to Europe; and decent accommodation (say, equivalent to what we would consider 3/4 star here).

Thanks for the advice!
It's kind of hard to say, as you stated.
I've only really looked at hostels so the prices would be a fair bit different but i'd imagine you could average maybe 100-150 a night (AUD) for decent accommodation, but it's really something you'd need to research. Spending money, depends on your type of holiday. If you're going to be doing all sorts of tours and buying souvenirs and eating fancy it will be a lot more expensive

Is that near The Generator? haha fond memories of that part of London, it was the first hostel I stayed in when I got to London as an alone and lost 25 year old starting a working holiday... Good times!
Staying at the Generator for a few nights in July before my tour. Going solo so will be an interesting experience, how'd you find the place?

Staying at the Generator for a few nights in July before my tour. Going solo so will be an interesting experience, how'd you find the place?

It's massive and very basic. I like hostels that are a bit smaller, so you get more of a personal and friendly vibe from the staff etc.. but for what it is its good. They seemed pretty organized and it is very much a party hostel. I had the loudest snoring Italian who didn't speak a word of English when I was there, so fair to say I didn't get much sleep.

I think if you go to the bar early on and make an effort you can have some great nights like I did, but keep to yourself and it could be a very lonely place. Bit like London itself.

So my parents are going to pay for flights and a weeks accommodation for me, so I can be in Europe for their 25th wedding anniversary.
Because I see it as a subsidised trip, Im taking it, with them for 1 week, by myself for 1-2 weeks elsewhere.

But one thing I'm wondering.
Madrid, would people recommend here for 2-4 days?

I'm pushing for Berlin (some things there that interest me, but most things were closed the day I was there (31/12).)
But my mum doesn't want to be dragged to the other s**t dad wants to do, so she's pushing for Madrid.

I'm curious as to what people think of Madrid.

I'm looking at 2-4 days Madrid/Berlin, 3-4 Paris, then 1-2 weeks doing what I want (Probably get up to England for matchday 38)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I am looking at heading over in April/May next year for 6 weeks or so. Will be traveling solo, but thinking it may be good to join a couple of short-term Contiki trips, just to make it easier to meet people. Good idea?

Hey guys, I am looking at heading over in April/May next year for 6 weeks or so. Will be traveling solo, but thinking it may be good to join a couple of short-term Contiki trips, just to make it easier to meet people. Good idea?
Nah, just actually approach people in decent hostels.

You won't have any problems meeting people staying at hostels for sure. You'll be able to talk to people staying in the same dorm and out in the 'lounge' area so to speak. So IMO, Contiki tour won't really be necessary if that's just what you're after.

You won't have any problems meeting people staying at hostels for sure. You'll be able to talk to people staying in the same dorm and out in the 'lounge' area so to speak. So IMO, Contiki tour won't really be necessary if that's just what you're after.

Cheers. That's really the whole point of Contiki surely.

Cheers. That's really the whole point of Contiki surely.

Yeah it is i guess. If you want a snapshot of Europe, a piss up every night and stuck to a rigid schedule without having to organise anything then Contiki is perfect (I don't mean that in a negative way). But staying in hostels you'll get to meet people as well, but the advantage is you'll get to see what you want, when you want and you can stay as long as you like. It just really depends what you want to do on your holiday!

Travelling to Italy with the missus for a month in a couple of weeks for a wedding/holiday. We are headed to Milan, Rome, Sorrento, Florence and will do day trips to Pisa, Venice and Pompeii most likely. Anyone got any tips on what's good and what to look out for?

Got a rough itinerary worked out, but scared I won't be able fit all of this in (looking at 6 weeks, but depends on cash). Got 18 countries on the list, including a couple of bigger trips (e.g Nordkapp). Is it realistic to do that many in that time-frame or am I better off chopping off a few?

Got a rough itinerary worked out, but scared I won't be able fit all of this in (looking at 6 weeks, but depends on cash). Got 18 countries on the list, including a couple of bigger trips (e.g Nordkapp). Is it realistic to do that many in that time-frame or am I better off chopping off a few?
18 countries in 6 weeks?

Yeah, nah.

Yeah, 18 in 6 weeks is probably way too much and you got to factor in that it will take at least half a day getting from hostel to hostel when you include traveling between the cities etc... Personally i'd chop out at least half of the 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back