Review Round 6 vs Gold Coast Suns at Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally my animosity towards the Swans means that those games hold significantly more meaning to me than the Suns games.
However I do think the natural "new boy" rivalry we have is a healthier one and is probably at least as genuine at the moment :)

How come you don't like the Swannies? What have they ever done to St. Kilda?

Love the way your young boys go about their footy.... I was having a chat to a mate who supports Sydney and we both came to the conclusion that the gws vs suns is more of a rivelry then the Q clash or the battle of the bridge. Just wanted to know your thoughts?

That's ATM I know in the future that will change
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there will be a rivalry with the Suns in a few years time, when both teams will be playing finals. But if the AFL want to build a rivalry, they're going to have to program more games between us (only one this year) and play some of them at the Showground.

How come you don't like the Swannies? What have they ever done to St. Kilda?

I moved to Sydney in 1982, the same year the swans did, for the next 25 years the only live game I ever got to see was the Swans hosting Saints, when they actually played that year..
The Sydney media has only ever written about one team, to the point that in 2009 when St Kilda was on it's 19 game winning streak the only game they played that got more than a single column inch was the swans game.
I would go to work every Friday wearing a St Kilda shirt, at least 80% of the people at work had no idea what team it was, unless it was the Monday after the swans had beaten us, then everyone was suddenly a bloody swans supporter.
Many times when the swans were not going well the saints supporters outnumbered them at games, the swans seem to attract bandwagoners.
I am pretty confident that at least 20% of people who say they support the swans could not tell you what a sherrin was, nor name more than 10 swans players.
I can't count the number of times I've walked out of the SCG after loss with a seemingly unending stream of abuse from drunken swans supporters.
Because of geography most people who support the swans have never sat in an away crowd, they appear to have zero idea on how to be objective, fair, or even just not bloody arrogant (maybe this years GWS game is a step to changing that).
In the last 5 years with no kids we have travelled to a lot of saints games in Melbourne as both home and away, and the atmosphere is completely different, opposition supporters are at least 80% friendly and you can have a joke with them and enjoy the game as a game, never happened to me in Sydney until I attended my first GWS game.

That's about 10% of why, apologies for the wall of text :)

Really want buntine in the side. How has he been in the ressies?
Would like to see Buntine and O'Rourke play as well but don't think this is the week although next week will see more players back in contention so this game will be important for those on the fringe of the playing side
Is it seen as the only change for this week being Shaw in and Greene out?
Any others?
And will they put a tag on Ablett?
My pick is for Cameron to kick 5 and Patton seals the win with a massive pack mark and kicks the goal after the siren

Not sure we will try to tag GA as even the best taggers in the game struggle w him and we certainly don't have a certified tagger (look at how danger field was allowed to run so freely)

Palmer is our Tagger and he is a few weeks away. :(

You would think Tomlinson goes out this week :( But happy that WHE had a good crack last week.

I wish Toby was playing this game, send him to Ablett and just really put the acid on him to try and shut down an opponent. Think we are so harsh on this kid but I'd love to see him add some strings to his bow. Shiel would have been handy also with his strong body against some of the GC mids.

Do you guys see Lamb in your best 22, and if so - where? How much of a run in the mids does he get, if any?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see JOR in, just needed to get up to scratch with his conditioning after missing a bit of preseason.

I suspect Kelly is just as much rest as anything else.

No Warnock for us, should mean we have Thompson 200cm, May 190cm and maybe a Hutchins/Broughton 190 +/-2 to take on your big three.. Clearances will be huge this game!

Great to see the VC back. His experience will be invaluable against a young side like the suns. O'rourke in makes me happy, hopefully he plays well enough to retain his spot. Will be tough considering we still have to bring in shiel, Whitfield and Kelly

You would think Tomlinson goes out this week :( But happy that WHE had a good crack last week.

I wish Toby was playing this game, send him to Ablett and just really put the acid on him to try and shut down an opponent. Think we are so harsh on this kid but I'd love to see him add some strings to his bow. Shiel would have been handy also with his strong body against some of the GC mids.

We are really going to miss Toby's grunt, I don't for one minute think he did the wrong thing and sure it was worth a suspension, but if you can't stand tall for your captain when will you?
Not having him in really softens our "underbelly", O'Rourke is a good run with player who can find the ball, not surprised to see him in at all.

From memory JOR was described as a tough as nails inside mid. Adams replacement it seems and I can't wait to see him at the bottom of the pack and dishing it out with better disposal

From memory JOR was described as a tough as nails inside mid. Adams replacement it seems and I can't wait to see him at the bottom of the pack and dishing it out with better disposal

Interesting to see that JOR was down as 183cm when we drafted him but according to the clubs site is now 188cm, so assuming he sticks around with us could develop into that tall inside mid that we seem to lack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back