Android phones.

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I personally wouldn't touch anyone other than Telstra, I've tried optus an Vodafone and they were shocking. I've been basing my figures off Telstra.
vodafone and optus aint that bad now days they have improved their net works a lot ever since the the smart phone has taken over the market. but once you have telstra you never want to go back to any other network.
the advantage telstea had was that it was a once owned by the government who set the original network up. vodafone and optus are private companies, that have set up their own networks

copthat

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey guys, on Android 4.3 it seems that you can't have a personalised lock screen widget (E.g. DashClock, NiLs etc) if you require a PIN code to unlock your phone. Is this correct? Can you only use DashClock if you set your lock screen to 'Swipe' (which offers next to nothing security wise)?

Cheers.

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Had my new S5 for about a week now. I've upgraded from an S3 and while I do like it, it seems rather sluggish. Apps freezing daily, if I push the lock screen button twice in succession of say less than 5 secs the phone blacks out (back button light and menu button light stay on but nothing on screen at all) and renders it useless until I remove the battery, net drops out even when I still have data coverage. The lock button thing isnt an actual function if you push it twice but I do it sometimes accidentally. And the S Heatlh App update deleted all my data from the first few days of use, so i haven't used it since as i can't be bothered wasting my time if it does it again. These are quite minor in terms of overall use but annoying. Battery is great, display and camera are great. I wouldn't hesitate recommending to others.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had my new S5 for about a week now. I've upgraded from an S3 and while I do like it, it seems rather sluggish. Apps freezing daily, if I push the lock screen button twice in succession of say less than 5 secs the phone blacks out (back button light and menu button light stay on but nothing on screen at all) and renders it useless until I remove the battery, net drops out even when I still have data coverage. The lock button thing isnt an actual function if you push it twice but I do it sometimes accidentally. And the S Heatlh App update deleted all my data from the first few days of use, so i haven't used it since as i can't be bothered wasting my time if it does it again. These are quite minor in terms of overall use but annoying. Battery is great, display and camera are great. I wouldn't hesitate recommending to others.

Did it work fine before you installed your apps on it?

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Seriously who uses 3Gb data per month on their mobile? I'm a pretty heavy user and rarely use more than 1 Gb, I use wifi for data whenever I'm home and 4G when at work and out and about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Were you hiting 1gb a month 2 years ago?

I've just signed up for a similar deal ($65, no extra charge for HTC One) and on a 2 year contract I figure I'm covered even if my usage changes.

Vodafone suck about as much as the rest of them, would love to use Telstra but being metro 99% of the time it's hard to justify the extra cash for the one arvo every couple of months it'd give me extra coverage.

Last edited:

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Did it work fine before you installed your apps on it?

Basically when I turned it on the first time and signed into google with the initial setup, the apps started automatically installing themselves. So I had very little time without my apps on it anyway.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Basically when I turned it on the first time and signed into google with the initial setup, the apps started automatically installing themselves. So I had very little time without my apps on it anyway.

Uninstall the apps you don't use and see if it makes a difference, one of them might not work so well on new phones and has a service in the background that's messing things up

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Uninstall the apps you don't use and see if it makes a difference, one of them might not work so well on new phones and has a service in the background that's messing things up

I'll try and narrow a few more down but problem is I have already uninstalled anything I didnt use on my last phone for some time.

I probably open Facebook up about 5 times a day and read through my news feed, and I reckon it'd avaerage a crash in that app about once every 2 days. It is not only facebook, but its one that I notice more than others.

The lock screen going blank and not powering on that I explained in my first post seems to be a common issue for S5 after a quick Google but doesnt have a real solution at this stage.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'll try and narrow a few more down but problem is I have already uninstalled anything I didnt use on my last phone for some time.

I probably open Facebook up about 5 times a day and read through my news feed, and I reckon it'd avaerage a crash in that app about once every 2 days. It is not only facebook, but its one that I notice more than others.

The lock screen going blank and not powering on that I explained in my first post seems to be a common issue for S5 after a quick Google but doesnt have a real solution at this stage.

I'd also talk to whoever you bought it from, if it's a problem with the phone itself the sooner you tell them about it the easier it is to get a replacement

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Im looking at leaving the iPhone behind and going a Samsung S5... my only question though is does anyone know when Kogan are releasing their new phone? There 'old' one was very similar to the S3, but allowed dual sim... which I would much prefer as it saves me having to carry two phones. But I do like the look of the S5

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Im looking at leaving the iPhone behind and going a Samsung S5... my only question though is does anyone know when Kogan are releasing their new phone? There 'old' one was very similar to the S3, but allowed dual sim... which I would much prefer as it saves me having to carry two phones. But I do like the look of the S5

Check out the Phone Finder on GSMArena, you should be able to find something better than whatever rubbish Kogan is releasing

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
umm yes Samsung are releasing a 7" phone. they are clearly now taking the piss.

as you would expect it is VAST and looks slightly ridiculous. There maybe some people who need this, but i can't see it being pocketable.

Samsung W come on down.
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-w-388414/

Samsung-Galaxy-W.png

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
umm yes Samsung are releasing a 7" phone. they are clearly now taking the piss.

as you would expect it is VAST and looks slightly ridiculous. There maybe some people who need this, but i can't see it being pocketable.

Samsung W come on down.
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-w-388414/

Samsung-Galaxy-W.png

Phones don't necessarily need to be pocketable. This would be fine if it just lived in a bag or dock and was paired with a bluetooth headset, and it gives them another way of pushing their smartwatches. I'm sure there's a market for it as Samsung aren't alone in releasing these monstrosities, but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying one.

Just got the Galaxy S5 after being with Apple since the 3GS.

Only issue I have encountered is message update. I have heaps of bloody messages on my phone and on the message screen it had caught up to date but the actual update stayed at about 69% so this morning I restarted the phone and it let me scroll through the messages finally so I went to delete most of them. The phone decided to update it all again so here I am waiting again for it to finish. At 43% right now in about 90 mins so slow going.

Anyone else had this problem? What should I do if it fails again?

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just got the Galaxy S5 after being with Apple since the 3GS.

Only issue I have encountered is message update. I have heaps of bloody messages on my phone and on the message screen it had caught up to date but the actual update stayed at about 69% so this morning I restarted the phone and it let me scroll through the messages finally so I went to delete most of them. The phone decided to update it all again so here I am waiting again for it to finish. At 43% right now in about 90 mins so slow going.

Anyone else had this problem? What should I do if it fails again?

What messages? What App? Are they imported from your iPhone?

I've been using Android for 5 or so years and I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

What messages? What App? Are they imported from your iPhone?

I've been using Android for 5 or so years and I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

So if you have no idea what I'm talking about why respond? :rolleyes: SMS!!!

You can back up your iPhone and transfer all of the messages, contacts, vids, photos etc over to the galaxy.

No worries, enjoy fixing it :thumbsu:

I fixed it anyway. Started from scratch again and didn't transfer the sms's over. Turns out it was transferring over 80000 messages which just clogged the phone.

Phone runs very smoothly now with minor bumps.

So I also joined the horde of others going for the S5, changing from my cracked HTC One XL which had served me faithfully for some time.

Pretty happy with it for the most part so far...But the one thing I really really want to do with it doesnt seem to be covered on the internet yet. I bought a USB to DVI video out connector for it, which plugs into a USB port to power the converter for it, but I cant for the life of me get it to video out.

There is apparently a code you type into your number pad which allows you to change USB settings and activate video out mode but the code doesnt work on the S5...It also didnt work on my One XL when I tried it the other day. Annoyingly, the monitors at work do NOT have HDMI either, so Im forced to DVI it.

Anyone else had any luck sending video out of the USB port on android phones?

Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've used HDMI out on the One XL before. I'm pretty sure there was a pop up on the screen when I plugged in the cable asking if I wanted to stream or something.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I also joined the horde of others going for the S5, changing from my cracked HTC One XL which had served me faithfully for some time.

Pretty happy with it for the most part so far...But the one thing I really really want to do with it doesnt seem to be covered on the internet yet. I bought a USB to DVI video out connector for it, which plugs into a USB port to power the converter for it, but I cant for the life of me get it to video out.

There is apparently a code you type into your number pad which allows you to change USB settings and activate video out mode but the code doesnt work on the S5...It also didnt work on my One XL when I tried it the other day. Annoyingly, the monitors at work do NOT have HDMI either, so Im forced to DVI it.

Anyone else had any luck sending video out of the USB port on android phones?

Could be that your display doesn't support HDCP, or the adapter isn't supported by the phone. As far as I'm aware they never released an official DVI MHL adapter. It sounds like a common issue.

I'm not sure if the option exists on the S5, but go into the developer options menu (if it doesn't appear go into Settings > More > About Device and keep tapping on the "Build Number" section until a message pops up) and see if there's a "Disable HDCP" option, that might help you out.

port09

Cancelled
Port Adelaide Forum Tipping Champion
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone got the Sony Xperia Z2? What do they think of it? I just got one after always having an iphone. I'm not really a phone nerd and it's taking some time getting used to, do others like the phone?

Are you able to change the battery in that phone ??

Back