news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
The UFC HW division isn't exactly the deepest, so the UFC would have brought in some good young prospects if there were any out there. It doesn't appear there's much talent coming through. Rosholt just won his 2nd fight in the UFC but he's not that young and I don't believe he'd do very well after a step up in competition. The top 16 in the UFC rankings have 1 guy who's under 30, and that's Stefan Struve who's been out of action for quite a while.

I think the same regarding the heavyweights. I've been hoping for a while now that with the explosion of popularity that MMA has experienced that we'd get some legit 205+ fighters coming through the ranks, but it hasn't happened for a while. Even the only decent looking heavyweights on the latest season of TUF Brazil will likely all fight at 205 in the future.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Arlovski back in the UFC further illustrates how thin the division is, but I don't mind it. Arlovski's first fight back is going to be against Schaub. You'd think one of these guys is definitely getting knocked out in that fight. My money's on Arlovski knocking Schaub out.

Werdum did some funny stuff throughout that Browne fight.
How awesome was this?
Fabricio+Werdum+Kickup+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

There's a heap of other things (including post-fight in-cage troll face), some of which I missed when I watched the fight here and here.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Phil had that coming though. If you're talking sh*t about the champ in the division, you best not get pummelled in your very next fight. If I was in Bones' shoes, I'd have gone much harder than he did.
Oh absolutely he had it coming. Just the petulant high-fiving and childish antics I thought were cringeworthy. :eek:

Goddammit, I hate JJ so much.
Hit a new level of knobbery
Phil had that coming though. If you're talking sh*t about the champ in the division, you best not get pummelled in your very next fight. If I was in Bones' shoes, I'd have gone much harder than he did.
True but he also trashed Rumble a bit too with the; 'now you just sound like Phil, you got to want to be the beast, Phil s happy with top 4.'

Not needed. Rumble was showing a little humility, something Jones could learn from.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Meh, doesn't seem like Jones can win to me.

Before Jones was criticised for being fake as he tried to portray himself as humble. Certain things he did/said resulted in that sounding phoney to a lot of people. Now he seems to care less about what people think and isn't trying as hard to pretend to be humble. Now it's show some humility, which if he did at this stage wouldn't be thought of as genuine, whether it is or isn't imo.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not the lack of humility that's cringeworthy here BradWCE, I don't think anybody expected him to show humility in this instance. I just found his almost pre-pubescent antics in the way that he decided to celebrate his little success that irked me, personally.

The back-handed joke about Rumble being content with his standing didn't help him either.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
It's not the lack of humility that's cringeworthy here BradWCE, I don't think anybody expected him to show humility in this instance. I just found his almost pre-pubescent antics in the way that he decided to celebrate his little success that irked me, personally.

The back-handed joke about Rumble being content with his standing didn't help him either.
I was referring to CA bringing up that Jones could show some humility. It wasn't specifically about what happened at the press conference, it was more to do with the overall way Jones is portraying himself in the media.

I'm indifferent to Jones outside of the octagon. Some really like him and a lot can't stand him. I'm somewhere in the middle and I don't really get why there's so much hate.

Jones' antics at the press conference would have really irked me too if it wasn't preceded by Davis' comments. The stuff at the press conference was Jones stooping to the level that Davis stooped to recently.

So all in all what we have it seems, is a bunch of men with the ability to beat the crap out of most people on the planet who possess the maturity of an emotionally stunted 13yo.

:cool:

Good times for planet earth. :drunk:

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
Old news but the Cerrone vs Miller fight that's just been announced should be fun, and meaningful. I love both guys and want one of them to get a title shot at some point, but I'm not sure that either of them will be champions in the UFC. Fun fight though.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm sitting here watching the bellator on one hd. There is a fighter that just got cut from an elbow that rivals Diego Sanchez vs BJ penn head kick.......crazy cut

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
It's on the Will Brooks v Saad Awad second fight. The co main even I think

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Which card? I'm tempted to post the worst cuts in MMA... The BJ vs Sanchez was a huge cut!

If you find a pic please post it Jab.

Also does anybody rate Saad Awad or Will Brooks, both seem like they could do some damage in the mma world

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sitting here watching the bellator on one hd. There is a fighter that just got cut from an elbow that rivals Diego Sanchez vs BJ penn head kick.......crazy cut
I watched that last night, that was nuts. The look on the doctors face when he was checking it was priceless.

"Lets have a look here"
*parts cut with thumbs*
"Ohhh jeezus no"
Fin'

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Haven't seen the cut from the Bellator card, but the Sanchez cut from his fight with Penn will stay with me for life. Jab a cut's thread would be a good, if somewhat gruesome idea. Immediate thoughts are Joe Stevenson (also against Penn with the blood fountain), Kenny Florian's handywork against Sherk and the goat's privates opened by Vitor Belfort on Marvin Eastman's forehead.

Another one that stayed with me a while wasn't necessarily a cut, but the blood in the aftermath. It was the Koscheck vs Lytle fight from somewhere around UFC 87. Kos busted him open pretty early and Lytle had his head repeatedly rammed in to the mat while trying to stand back up after a takedown. From memory there were about 5-6 bloody head imprints left on the canvas afterwards.

*Edit, you can see kind of what I'm talking about in this pic... so much blood!

chris-lytle-blood.jpg

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Clay Guidea got cut up from Kenny Florian pretty bad aswell

Back