Are gyms for fat people?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a rather large lady who has been going to the same gym as me for ages and I believe started at roughly the same time. She is just as large as when I first joined 3 years ago, so I do wonder. Sure, being large and active would be better than large and sedentary, but is she even trying?

There is a rather large lady who has been going to the same gym as me for ages and I believe started at roughly the same time. She is just as large as when I first joined 3 years ago, so I do wonder. Sure, being large and active would be better than large and sedentary, but is she even trying?

Weight loss is about 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. You can bust your behind at the gym doing all the cardio and weights you want but if then go home and eat fried food and tim tams washed down with coke, you will never get anywhere.

Does it appear that she is pushing herself? That seems such a waste of energy as to me the exercise is the hardest part, I have been 3 times since joining on Sunday, plus one session with a PT, just came back from a 6am RPM class this morning and there is no way any crap is going in my mouth today after all that hard work, seems pointless. Maybe I am just in the early days and motivated, so I hope I can keep it up?

Does it appear that she is pushing herself? That seems such a waste of energy as to me the exercise is the hardest part, I have been 3 times since joining on Sunday, plus one session with a PT, just came back from a 6am RPM class this morning and there is no way any crap is going in my mouth today after all that hard work, seems pointless. Maybe I am just in the early days and motivated, so I hope I can keep it up?
I couldn't say how hard she pushes herself but it clearly isn't enough. She has done quite a bit of work with a PT too. Paying $11 a week for 3+ years and doing nothing? Please.

It's good to hear you're giving it a real go.

Weight loss is about 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. You can bust your behind at the gym doing all the cardio and weights you want but if then go home and eat fried food and tim tams washed down with coke, you will never get anywhere.
True, but it still comes down to effort. She wouldn't need to cut out that much from her diet and wouldn't need to push herself much harder at all to make a difference.

Like many have said on earlier pages, Just scope a few gyms out first. If you find the right gym, you will find most people will help you along. There will always be the few that think they are the king **** but ignore them mate, your there for yourself.....No one else

I'm a larger sort of chap and recently joined up at a Fitness First. Decided 26 years of "no exercise whatsoever" hasn't exactly worked wonders so I'll give gym a red hot go. Got three PT sessions as part of signing up so I'm hoping to get through those fairly quickly and then get into a regular sort of routine. High paying job + living at home means hopefully I can maybe do 3 PT sessions a week, at least at first. It'll just mean cutting some other pointless rubbish out, which can only be a good thing.

The hardest part for me was actually walking into the gym and saying I want to sign up. You go through the whole "WTF am I doing? They'll think I'm stupid thing". But just got on with it and did it. And have to say once I was in there and being shown around, it was fantastic. Felt comfortable, which I didn't expect. The guy showing me around was great and has me really looking forward to it. Which I didn't expect in the slightest.

The hardest part for me was actually walking into the gym and saying I want to sign up

Same, by far one of the hardest and most confronting things I have done. I am a week and a half in now and right on track, I can honestly say that no crap has passed my lips since either, even though the box of tempters at work does test me, I wish they would get rid of it, its no good for anyone.

Good luck, I hope you do good!

I couldn't say how hard she pushes herself but it clearly isn't enough. She has done quite a bit of work with a PT too. Paying $11 a week for 3+ years and doing nothing? Please.
Well she'd be fitter, if not skinnier. Never being there myself as a skinny guy, but having talked to plenty of overweight people who started exercising the feeling of tiredness and not being able to move without getting short of breath is a motivating factor.

True, but it still comes down to effort. She wouldn't need to cut out that much from her diet and wouldn't need to push herself much harder at all to make a difference.
The problem is a lot of people overestimate how many calories exercise burns. Gym's are full of people who do an hour at a moderate pace on the bike / treadmill and then think that entitles them to a drive through meal or junk food with hundred's of calories. You can't out exercise a crappy diet, but lots think you can.

You see all types at your average gym, especially cbd based franchise types like fitness first.

I would say on average people at the gym are on the fit side but there is a large percentage of very unfit people taking their first steps.

Personally, when I see someone completely unfit in the gym, I honestly admire the guts it takes and hope they stick to it.

Anyone that sets foot in the gym deserves respect and is a winner, at least on that particular night.

If you're worried about how you look and it's stopping you from getting down to the gym, all the more reason to go. Do 20 sessions continuously with at least 3 sessions per week and by session number 20 I guarantee you will see some progress and a rewarding habit will have been formed.

I've always wanted to eat a nice chocolate donut outside the window while fat people are on the treadmill ahahaha
Bart%27s_Girlfriend_57.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was 125kg when i stepped into the gym at the start of this year. I am now at 96.5kg.

I have also been on lite n easy, mostly since I am not home much and move between offices in Sydney and my girlfriends place and my place.

The combination of the exercise and lite n easy is a winner. I have started to ramp up weights a bit more now, and am more concerned about waist size than weight.

I feel good though, and it is rewarding when you can use the rowing machine for 30 minutes straight and make 7400m!!!

People at the gym are friendly, except for when you get a bunch of meatheads who obviously think they own the weights area, take over nearly every bench and do barely any sets, instead just using their phones and discussing which chick they shagged on the weekend.

Besides these stereotypical gym users, i find the people there great!

Just relecting back on this thread, its been 7 months since I stepped into that gym as a fat person for the very first time, one of the hardest things i have ever done. Now it is a new year and i am down 22kgs from where i was this time last year.

For anyone needing the courage, just do it, it has been a very rewarding and even enjoyable experience, I have genuinely enjoyed it and feel great.

The comments in this thread inspired me and I still think of them when I look around me, nobody really cares.

Just relecting back on this thread, its been 7 months since I stepped into that gym as a fat person for the very first time, one of the hardest things i have ever done. Now it is a new year and i am down 22kgs from where i was this time last year.

For anyone needing the courage, just do it, it has been a very rewarding and even enjoyable experience, I have genuinely enjoyed it and feel great.

The comments in this thread inspired me and I still think of them when I look around me, nobody really cares.

good job! :)

Hell yeah! Happy for you brother!

They might not care but the regulars privately would be impressed that you have stuck around and got very good results.

Credit is due to overweight individuals who commit to the gym and do their cardio/weights. Been there, did it, dropped the weight, and now it's embedded in my routine.

What I do laugh at, are the twits with big arms and a bigger gut spending their entire time working on their 'guns'. They are the morons of the gym.

If you're self-concious, join a 24hr gym and go late at night or really early in the morning.

I went through a period when I mostly worked out at 10 or 11pm. It was great. The place was mostly empty except for a small regular crowd, and a lot of them were people self-conscious about their weight. They were very friendly and supportive of each other.

It's not really practical for me to workout at that time any more, which is unfortunate.

They might not care but the regulars privately would be impressed that you have stuck around and got very good results.
Further to my post earlier in this thread......in January last year i started at 126kg. By my wedding in late October i was won to 87kg and 32 inch jeans. I have been on a honeymoon since then and am back up to 92kg from 2 months of restaurant eating in Europe and America. I cant wait to get back home and relose the weight.

The one moment that stuck in my mind at the gym was when a regular came up to me and asked if i used to work out in the granville gym on the rowing machine. I said yep, and he said 'wow, amazing job man, you have lost heaps of weight, well done'. Even if people dont talk to you, they will notice the effort you put in and the results you achieved. It is very rewarding!

Keep it up mate, and give us updates.

I joined a gym 3 and bit years ago when i weighed 140.6kgs now i weight 113.4 kgs and i still feel big. The first time i went to the gym i thought everyone would look at me cause i was morbidly obese. I had that much paranoia it wasnt funny, Even know that i am still big i feel more comfortable knowing that i am doing something to lose weight. My weight loss journey started 5 years ago and i have lost 67 kgs so far i wanna lose another 20 odd

I joined a gym 3 and bit years ago when i weighed 140.6kgs now i weight 113.4 kgs and i still feel big. The first time i went to the gym i thought everyone would look at me cause i was morbidly obese. I had that much paranoia it wasnt funny, Even know that i am still big i feel more comfortable knowing that i am doing something to lose weight. My weight loss journey started 5 years ago and i have lost 67 kgs so far i wanna lose another 20 odd

Update?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back