Upper Murray 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry toecutter there is know coach up there who would know how to handle him and he was a very good player and i still have alot of time for him regardless what people think of him. max

I played in the same side as Wayne at Brocklesby and pound for pound the hardest footballer I have ever seen! He was miss understood by some as I can still remember him telling me all he ever wanted was respect and he always showed respect to those who respected him.

C'mon Maxy don't hold us in suspense, prefer your season preview than that rubbish that's put in the Border Mail. P.S. Any chance you can get Wayne Piltz to pull the boots back on? Was a tough bastard at Brock and Tumba when you were coaching.
Must agree with you toecutter choppers run down on each side is better than the paper ,looking forward to the last 2 teams. You guys seem to know him has he coached you guys and do you think he will go back coaching have only met him once an that was out at Bullioh when Tumba played them.

Well guys here we go with 2nd spot, but i will say there won't be much between these 2 clubs % could be the factor.
Ok tumba went through undefeated last season a credit to their coach Shane Macintosh keeping them focused each week, wish him all the best back at Marrar.
Out of last years team they have lost at least 10 players but have recruited well to cover those who have gone.B. Carey will slot in at CHB with the other Parr boy holding down FB . Personally there biggest loss are N.Molk, J.Waters an M.Sheppard, but the return of Q.Rooney and Jack Kelly plus B.Lane who needs to drop at least 10kgs[from what i here is one of the Asst. Coaches well done Laney] with a few other explayers returnig will be rite up there again. Regarding the other Wagga recruits don't know much about them but have been told are very handy players. Matt Molk will again terrorize opposition backman and have been told is alot fitter than last season could kick 100gls this season[i will be waving the flags matt so don't make me run] i also expect him to have a run in the ruck.Barnes, Hindmarsh i thought were the recruits of the year for tumba. Hindmarsh run off halfback plus kicking gls needs to be address by the opposition. Their coach M.Howarth i think was under-estimated last season and the game they played Bullioh in at Bullioh, one of the things i seen him do in the last quarter was inspirational which changed that whole game around and tumba got up by a kick[that was the best game of footy i saw that year]. There could be a surprise coming for opposition clubs and if he does play there and is fit will cover the rest of tumba's losses.
Just had alook on the clearances an seen a clearance for Smeds from Fedral to the South Coast if true big lost plus Jake Faithful to Cudgewa very interesting will boost their mid-field. cheers guys will do Corryong soon will be at Corrry/Tumba game first rd.
max

Well guys here we go with 2nd spot, but i will say there won't be much between these 2 clubs % could be the factor.
Ok tumba went through undefeated last season a credit to their coach Shane Macintosh keeping them focused each week, wish him all the best back at Marrar.
Out of last years team they have lost at least 10 players but have recruited well to cover those who have gone.B. Carey will slot in at CHB with the other Parr boy holding down FB . Personally there biggest loss are N.Molk, J.Waters an M.Sheppard, but the return of Q.Rooney and Jack Kelly plus B.Lane who needs to drop at least 10kgs[from what i here is one of the Asst. Coaches well done Laney] with a few other explayers returnig will be rite up there again. Regarding the other Wagga recruits don't know much about them but have been told are very handy players. Matt Molk will again terrorize opposition backman and have been told is alot fitter than last season could kick 100gls this season[i will be waving the flags matt so don't make me run] i also expect him to have a run in the ruck.Barnes, Hindmarsh i thought were the recruits of the year for tumba. Hindmarsh run off halfback plus kicking gls needs to be address by the opposition. Their coach M.Howarth i think was under-estimated last season and the game they played Bullioh in at Bullioh, one of the things i seen him do in the last quarter was inspirational which changed that whole game around and tumba got up by a kick[that was the best game of footy i saw that year]. There could be a surprise coming for opposition clubs and if he does play there and is fit will cover the rest of tumba's losses.
Just had alook on the clearances an seen a clearance for Smeds from Fedral to the South Coast if true big lost plus Jake Faithful to Cudgewa very interesting will boost their mid-field. cheers guys will do Corryong soon will be at Corrry/Tumba game first rd.
max

2014 here we go..!!!
Chopper nice story but don't think your on the money this year mate.

here is my predictions
FINISHING ORDER
6th Border Walwa:
Have gained some but lost a sh#t load too so can't see much change. Dodds can kick a few on his day but he is no superstar and if he has to work hard for it forget it.
5th Federals: Plagued with injuries last year don't seem to have recruited and will fall back in the pack.
4th Tumba: Have lost more than gains, will be strong at home but reckon a few injuries and travel through this year will cost them to drop too.
3rd Bullioh, P Dean great man to have around the club. Should have the best defence tactics by far with Deanys charges.But lets see about the month of June if this position changes and we all know what I mean and sure Hickey will kick a bag.
2nd Cudgewa Bill Deery is back, I think early encounters with Corryong will cost them 1st place but once this group gels there will be no stopping them towards the business end of the season, recruited well in all departments, good luck catching M Thompson, expecting in a stronger side young Jake Carkeek will shine as a great back man and Ben Allbers with less work load to carry will be instrumental for his side and go a long way to earn a League B&F in what could be a Premiership side.
1st Corryong: Reidy has brought some "Ä" quality players(like to see the cheque book) minimal loses but with these recruits can build around with what they got a very talented side . Cooper League goal kicking honours (80) Rijinbeek will cause quite a few headaches.

Good luck everyone

Heard that Hickey is on a bucket load of cash. Let's just say six points times 100. Deery will have the blues ready to go but I agree they must beat Corryong early and et a few up on them.

Beer Pig i hope your rite about cudgie but depht mite hurt us but we will see how far back tumba has fallen 1st round we should get over feds at home an bullioh should account for walwa

As i have tipped Corryong to finish top of the ladder.
From last seasons list corry needed to add at least 4-6 senior players if they wanted to go the next level which they have.
Out of all there recruits J.Paton an T.Cooper are the pick of them.Cooper is capable of kicking gls which was something corry lacked last season and Paton will be able to hold down the main forwards of the other clubs when required but maybe rotate him with Evan off H.B.F. both creative players through the mid-field.Rijnbeek ,Gilson will add experience but loosing Johno Green pace around the ground will be missed.Now where to play their coach Reedy, we know he can play both ends of the ground but he is not blessed with alot of pace so he needs to pick his opponent wisely.I also believe Cass will be alot better player this season and add the Hansen boys will be rite up there.prediction 1st.max
Beer Pig i see you would like to see corry's cheque book what about Cudgies there mite not be much difference but we will never know.So here are my tips for the 1st rnd
Bullioh over Walwa 25pts
Cudgie over Feds 37pts
Tumba over Corry 17pts

As i have tipped Corryong to finish top of the ladder.
From last seasons list corry needed to add at least 4-6 senior players if they wanted to go the next level which they have.
Out of all there recruits J.Paton an T.Cooper are the pick of them.Cooper is capable of kicking gls which was something corry lacked last season and Paton will be able to hold down the main forwards of the other clubs when required but maybe rotate him with Evan off H.B.F. both creative players through the mid-field.Rijnbeek ,Gilson will add experience but loosing Johno Green pace around the ground will be missed.Now where to play their coach Reedy, we know he can play both ends of the ground but he is not blessed with alot of pace so he needs to pick his opponent wisely.I also believe Cass will be alot better player this season and add the Hansen boys will be rite up there.prediction 1st.max
Beer Pig i see you would like to see corry's cheque book what about Cudgies there mite not be much difference but we will never know.So here are my tips for the 1st rnd
Bullioh over Walwa 25pts
Cudgie over Feds 37pts
Tumba over Corry 17pts

Finally the first round of footy this weekend. About bloody time, everyone hates speculation! Why is the UMFL so late kicking off?

My tips are:

Tumba to beat Corryong by 6 points - Kane McNamurra BOG for Tumba;
Walwa to beat Bullioh by 13 points;
Cudgies to beat Feds by 18 points.

quote="Chopper69, post: 32679521, member: 53682"]As i have tipped Corryong to finish top of the ladder.
Bullioh over Walwa 25pts
Cudgie over Feds 37pts
Tumba over Corry 17pts[/quote]

Come on Chopper, Cudgewa have put all their money towards saving for new club house so no money spent on players their just there for the love of it:p.

Bullioh Unfortunately 45pts
Cudgewa 12pts Be weary as Feds will be the team to cause upsets this season I reckon
Corryong 50pts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice weekly preview in the paper Border Mail, rather rely on Maxy's each week.:mad::mad::mad:
P.S. Congrats to Cudgy for the awesome rooms they've finally gotten after a decade of hard work!:)

3 Games finished with roughly 100 points difference gee has league always been so whoop sided?
Chopper do you still think Tumba will finish 2nd?

Very one sided games. Corryong made tumba look slow and will take some beating. They had good players all over the park, well drilled for early in the season and would of had 100 rotations off there bench

3 Games finished with roughly 100 points difference gee has league always been so whoop sided?
Beer Pig yes i do think tumba will finish 2nd.
Was at the game yesterday waving the flags was impressed with corryong how they went about dismantling tumba after half time,played them at there own game plan an won.Their recruits all played well which has enabled them to play straight down the middle of the ground with the guy who wore number 2 their focal point up forward[i think he kicked at least 6gls]Evan was by far the best player on the ground just ran all day,his younger brother also played a good game in the ruck and just seems to get better each season.Corryong still have one more player to come into there side in Richard Spinks who will give them more marking power around the ground which could also mean they can release J.Paton from the backline who with the guy who wore number 21 held tumba's forwards after half time.Tumba's best player was Barnes followed by a young kid who wore number 4 played 3/4 of the game in the ruck and then was put down at F.B. on number 2 and kept him to 1gl in the last quarter.Well done to corryong and the other 2 sides that won yesterday but remember it is only 1st game.

Beer Pig yes i do think tumba will finish 2nd.
Was at the game yesterday waving the flags was impressed with corryong how they went about dismantling tumba after half time,played them at there own game plan an won.Their recruits all played well which has enabled them to play straight down the middle of the ground with the guy who wore number 2 their focal point up forward[i think he kicked at least 6gls]Evan was by far the best player on the ground just ran all day,his younger brother also played a good game in the ruck and just seems to get better each season.Corryong still have one more player to come into there side in Richard Spinks who will give them more marking power around the ground which could also mean they can release J.Paton from the backline who with the guy who wore number 21 held tumba's forwards after half time.Tumba's best player was Barnes followed by a young kid who wore number 4 played 3/4 of the game in the ruck and then was put down at F.B. on number 2 and kept him to 1gl in the last quarter.Well done to corryong and the other 2 sides that won yesterday but remember it is only 1st game.

What happen with Richard playing at Tallangatta? He was playing for the Senior Team just 3 weeks ago

1st round done and dusted and everyone has Corryong pinned as the 2014 Premiers. Good luck to them if that is the case, but it is early days, Cudgie had a good win and so did the SCUM. Corryong has basically done what Tumba did last year, by recruiting key players to compliment those already in the team, a good move by the club and it may well pay off.

In Tumba's defence, I had a laugh to myself after reading the BM this morning when Reidy was quoted as saying " “I never expected the score to blow out like it did against a side that has won the past two flags". A bizzarre comment given that Tumba has lost 15 players from last year.

What also wasn't mentioned by the BM was the fact that the Roos were missing quality players on Saturday such as Rooney, Hindmarsh, McNamurra, Brook, Campbell and McDonell. I reckon the score will be different different next time round.

The next few weeks should be interesting!!

Last edited:
In Tumba's defence, I had a laugh to myself after reading the BM this morning when Reidy was quoted as saying " “I never expected the score to blow out like it did against a side that has won the past two flags". A bizzarre comment given that Tumba has lost 15 players from last year.

What also wasn't mentioned by the BM was the fact that the Roos were missing quality players on Saturday such as Rooney, Hindmarsh, McNamurra, Brook, Campbell and McDonell. I reckon the score will be different different next time round
Dunno bout Tumba turning around a 90 point flogging when Cooper and Spink come into the side I reckon it's Corryong's flag by a mile at this stage. Spink will give there midfielders first use of the ball and Cooper has done pretty much everything in the Hume so the transition to the Upper murray league shouldn't be a problem. Great to see some of the local's like Spink and Paton returning to their home league's it can only boost the standard. I think Bullioh are the most likely to challenge with Cudgy the smokey.

The blue boys were on firer on Saturday so it seems Corry an Bullioh were to all recording big wins but as we all know it's only 1st game.Will get to have alook at tumba this week was told they had at least 11 local guys in the team a big difference from last season, but in saying that was also told Corryong had 5 locals in their team of 20, can anyone confirm that.So how good are Bullioh?. Remember Jonny G.maxie turned around a club that was on the end of 150pts flogging nearly every week, so there a club thats been down that road it's the clubs that have'nt that find it hard to bounce back. Go blue boys

2nd round tips this week:

Corryong to beat Bullioh by 7 points;
Walwa to beat Feds by 6 points;
Tumba to beat the Blue Boys by 14 points - both teams to enjoy the great new facilities at Cudgie - post match!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back