Past Jack Crisp (2011-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he had a handy game but I am biased as I called for his inclusion before the game. I think he has excellent potential as a midfielder. At 190cm he has pace , can take a mark and will mature into a nice body shape. He just needs another year of development and we could reap a handsome reward for a late pick.

I really like Jack as a player, but with a fairly stacked midfield, could we see him reinvented as a half back flanker to fill one of the void's left by Yeo and/or Docherty. Reserves watchers may be best placed to answer that one.

I really like Jack as a player, but with a fairly stacked midfield, could we see him reinvented as a half back flanker to fill one of the void's left by Yeo and/or Docherty. Reserves watchers may be best placed to answer that one.

I don't watch much of the ressies unless I'm up there visiting family or something like that. But as a junior he showed he could play down back and up forward. From memory he spent a bit of time in those positions in the seniors in 2012.

2013 Review - by Matt_BL

Jack Crisp’s 2013 season was a mixed bag. He had some outstanding NEAFL performances capped off with a best on ground performance in the Grand Final, being able to dominate games and seems to be walking a similar path to that of Claye Beams after a stellar 2012 in the reserves. In the seniors however, there wasn’t much reward after only playing 2 games and being listed as an emergency numerous times. It’s hard to see why Crisp didn’t get as much game time as 2012 where he managed to play 10 games as a rookie. It may have been the midfield rotation as the addition of Brent Moloney and the rapid development of Sam Mayes put a squeeze on the midfield rotation.

With the whole ‘Go Home 5’ saga however it would seem opportunities would be greater in 2014 with midfield development being critical considering the loss of Karnezis and Polec. A pre season in Arizona will help with the fitness of the squad, and it’s important for Crisp to be able to slot in and fill the gap so the team does not regress on the field. No doubt Crisp will need more game time as he struggled to cope with the pace of the game in the two matches he played this year. Against Collingwood Crisp only managed the 6 disposals in what was a lesson by the Collingwood midfield. Crisp also did have some struggles in front of goals in the Port game missing a sitter from directly in front. All mistakes typical of young players but coming into 2014 it is in the best interest of the team that Crisp becomes a regular and the contested ball winner the club desperately needs. I for one am pegging him to become another young star under Justin Leppitsch.

Crisp might have played less senior footy in 2013 but I certainly think he improved. He looks a more natural footballer now whereas, in his first year, he looked like a bloke whose enthusiasm and attack on the footy was getting him through.

Crisp might have played less senior footy in 2013 but I certainly think he improved. He looks a more natural footballer now whereas, in his first year, he looked like a bloke whose enthusiasm and attack on the footy was getting him through.

Interesting. Imo his standing went backwards fairly significantly after a promising (albeit not spectacular) first year. His disposal average went from 11.4 in 2012 to 7.5 in 2013, so I'm curious what aspect of his game you think was better POBT.

Has clearly bulked up over the off-season but as we learned with Karnezis that is not always a positive. Came to the club with a well earned reputation as a desperate chaser and tackler. If he can show the same desire at winning the contest then could become an X factor with his size and running ability.

I think he has a lot of potential and upside. I also see him as more of a natural footballer. He didnt get the senior opportunities this year with less spots available, but he did seem to lift his game in the 2nds. Whilst I didnt see him first hand in the 2nds, he certainly came up in the bests more. I think 2013 will prove to be a solid foundation year for him and have him in good position heading into 2014.

The flip side is after a solid season in the 2nds he needs to be able to bring it to the next level and push for senior games. That wont be easy after the seemingly good draft class we've brought in, with the likes of Aish probably playing a fair bit of senior footy, along with Beams back from injury. He does have a good defensive side, so I wonder if he might be able to reinvent himself to find a spot in the team, perhaps as a run with role or maybe a defensive HF.

Tom Rockliff mk II. Just needs a good injury free run. :thumbsu:

Tom Rockliff mk II.

I keep seeing people say this, which I find strange. I see them as very different players. Different height, different body shape, different kicking foot, different kicking action, different football smarts, different ways of marking the ball, different running style, different strengths, different limitations, different personalities and a different standing in the game. Apart from being country Victorians who got overlooked in the draft they are chalk and cheese imo, so I'm unsure what the thinking process is behind this comparison.

A better player comparison for me would be someone like Jordan McKenzie or maybe even Tyson Goldsack.

Just needs a good injury free run. :thumbsu:

He's had a good run so far hasn't he? I've got concerns about both his ability to get the ball and his ability to hurt the opposition when he does. So most of his game needs a lot of work. At the moment I would give him about a 1/20 chance of getting to 50 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Imo his standing went backwards fairly significantly after a promising (albeit not spectacular) first year. His disposal average went from 11.4 in 2012 to 7.5 in 2013, so I'm curious what aspect of his game you think was better POBT.
Not really much point quoting his senior stats from 2013 given the small sample size (which my post referenced).

He seemed to be to be a more proficient ball winner at reserves level and used it better at that level too. If I compare what I saw of him in 2012 compared to 2013, he seemed a better footballer. Which you'd expect given his age.

Not really much point quoting his senior stats from 2013 given the small sample size (which my post referenced).

He seemed to be to be a more proficient ball winner at reserves level and used it better at that level too. If I compare what I saw of him in 2012 compared to 2013, he seemed a better footballer. Which you'd expect given his age.

The possession stats were posted to complement the one telling stat - only playing two senior games. I bow to your judgement on his reserves form, but the question is how much one should read into it at that level.

Has great upside. Moves like a natural footballer and has the build to be the tall midfielder we need. Rate him above Lester long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leppa's relaxed approach may well bring out the best in some younger players like Crisp, Weardon, Hayes, Close, Bourke and Michael. You would hope a couple of them will step up this year - Crisp and Weardon are the obvious ones having been around a bit longer - Close would be a huge bonus.

He was good this week against the Suns. Not spectacular, but worked hard to get a bit of it. It was the best game I've seen him play and IMO did enough to get a decent run of games throughout the rest of the season

Very impressed with Crisp's. I had a bit of a knock on him because I thought he didn't take the ball cleanly enough. No sign of that last night, no real fumbles even in the wet. As always his work effort and tackling was good. As someone else said maybe Redden has been keeping him out of the side. He looks an ideal replacement.

He might be competing more with Lester for the inside mid role. Given a chance Crisp could take that role from Lester.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back