2014 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive game for both clubs. Thurgoona definitely wouldn't like to go 0-3 the double chance would be almost out of reach and with Mitta next week a real chance of going 0-4 then finals become a real challenge

Well watched most of yesterdays game. Thurgoona have some very handy players and looked the best team . DMB struggled with skills . Matt Fowler wow wee he's huge and played O&M last year. Very hard to match up against and if they deliver the ball out front he eats it up. Bradshaw can only ran straight lines but still takes a great grab. Can't see him playing next year. They won't win the flag but will make finals. Bloody good crowd as well.

Still very little in the way of discussion on this forum, despite a focus on footy over the past few weeks!

There has been much discussion in the past few days about the state of country footy in this region, namely in the O&M and the massive discrepancy between the haves and have-nots. I also read a letter in the paper today about a similar problem in the O&K league. In regards to the O&M, I can see two sides to the argument. Albury and Yarrawonga are well within their rights to spend their money how they see fit, and if they have more than others so be it. In the long run both clubs are probably raising the bar in terms of quality for the whole competition and that can only be a good thing, also it is a great rivalry. On the flip side though, for the casual observer of that league (like myself), it has become pretty boring. I used to go to the Grand Final every year, but find myself disinterested these days. I can only imagine the players and committees of the other clubs. Once again, this is not blaming Albury or Yarra, its just the reality of the situation, the league is becoming boring and predictable.

This brings me to my next point (as this is a TDFL forum). I think in this league we should be very thankful and proud of the competition we have. Think of the last 5 years where the O&M has had the same two teams play off for the big one, TDFL has had 7 teams play off in that time, for 5 different premiership winning teams. There is no denying that some teams certainly spend more than others, despite this the competition remains even and unpredictable. Twice in the last 3 years teams have come from 5th position to win the flag. Teams have come from a long way back and worked their way into finals. It is also a very even competition, with most teams capable of winning on any chosen day. At least 5 teams this year can lay claim to being a genuine premiership winning team, and all the way down to the bottom teams would have hopes of playing finals if not this year, than in the near future. In the reserves it is the same situation, with great participation numbers and an even competition. This filters all the way down to the junior grades.

I would say from the games I’ve been to this year, crowds are also very healthy. The league is in great condition and the quality of footy is rising. I think we should be glad the money hasn’t afflicted our league like others, and enjoy the fact we have one of the most even, interesting leagues in the region!

Now all we need is a better bigfooty forum.

What will the inter-league side look like this year? anyone keep to have a crack at a top 22?

Still very little in the way of discussion on this forum, despite a focus on footy over the past few weeks!

There has been much discussion in the past few days about the state of country footy in this region, namely in the O&M and the massive discrepancy between the haves and have-nots. I also read a letter in the paper today about a similar problem in the O&K league. In regards to the O&M, I can see two sides to the argument. Albury and Yarrawonga are well within their rights to spend their money how they see fit, and if they have more than others so be it. In the long run both clubs are probably raising the bar in terms of quality for the whole competition and that can only be a good thing, also it is a great rivalry. On the flip side though, for the casual observer of that league (like myself), it has become pretty boring. I used to go to the Grand Final every year, but find myself disinterested these days. I can only imagine the players and committees of the other clubs. Once again, this is not blaming Albury or Yarra, its just the reality of the situation, the league is becoming boring and predictable.

This brings me to my next point (as this is a TDFL forum). I think in this league we should be very thankful and proud of the competition we have. Think of the last 5 years where the O&M has had the same two teams play off for the big one, TDFL has had 7 teams play off in that time, for 5 different premiership winning teams. There is no denying that some teams certainly spend more than others, despite this the competition remains even and unpredictable. Twice in the last 3 years teams have come from 5th position to win the flag. Teams have come from a long way back and worked their way into finals. It is also a very even competition, with most teams capable of winning on any chosen day. At least 5 teams this year can lay claim to being a genuine premiership winning team, and all the way down to the bottom teams would have hopes of playing finals if not this year, than in the near future. In the reserves it is the same situation, with great participation numbers and an even competition. This filters all the way down to the junior grades.

I would say from the games I’ve been to this year, crowds are also very healthy. The league is in great condition and the quality of footy is rising. I think we should be glad the money hasn’t afflicted our league like others, and enjoy the fact we have one of the most even, interesting leagues in the region!

Now all we need is a better bigfooty forum.

Well said two up. I cant comment on the standard of TDFL pre-2004, but I think if you compare it now to even 5-6 years ago it's noticably improved. Everyone is competitive and there are no easy games which is a great thing. I could be wrong, but I think every club except Saints (who are very much improving) have played finals at senior level since 2008. The competition has an abundance of quality midfielders and every team has at least 1-2 gun forwards. Perhaps Albury & Yarra's recent dominance of the O & M has resulted in more players dropping back (from other O & M clubs) to district leagues such as ours. But that's no fault of those clubs. Albury raised the bar, Yarra caught up and eventually some other clubs will also find their way into the mix.

TIPS THIS WEEK
Chiltern by 21pts
KSC by 8gls
Mitta by 33pts
DMB by 19pts
Barney by 37pts
Saints by 7pts

Been told Thurgoona 2's are struggling for numbers... Lack of depth in the 1's could be a worry. Mitta looks very ominous this year...

Looked to be an interesting result in Mitta. They are looking extremely dangerous this year. Very good side.
No fireworks which was a good sign, both clubs look to be well and truly over what happened last year.
Lets hope for Thurgoona's sake they hit their straps soon or else could be another wasted year.

TIPS THIS WEEK
wAHGUNYAH BY 9PTS
K.S.C. BY 12GLS
BARNY BY 16PTS
BEECHWORTH BY 26PTS
THURGOONA BY 7GLS
MITTA BY 24PTS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough conditions on saturday for most games. Well done Saints to get over the line and through the fog for a win. Just wondering how the goal umpires faired? Barny win again with Monkey Magic in the two's . Yack losing Sibra isn't good as thhey seem to be struggling with all those new players. Mitta just rolling alone nicely . The big question is have Thurgoona over spent again? It would be great if they win a flag .

Tough conditions on saturday for most games. Well done Saints to get over the line and through the fog for a win. Just wondering how the goal umpires faired? Barny win again with Monkey Magic in the two's . Yack losing Sibra isn't good as thhey seem to be struggling with all those new players. Mitta just rolling alone nicely . The big question is have Thurgoona over spent again? It would be great if they win a flag .

Defiantly not good for Yack losing Sibra. Very Serious from all reports
I didn't enjoy seeing Tallangatta not able to kick a goal.
Can anyone back up that Thurgoona do spend massive money, have heard they open up their books at their AGM, and heard it not as much as everyone thinks.
Has anyone heard anything about the Interleague squad?
Big run home for the Tallangatta league after next weekend.

Massive pre-bye round coming up with a few games likely to shape the ladder. It looks like the three at the top of the tree are a cut above the rest at the moment. Wahgunyah sitting alone in 4th then a log-jam of teams on two wins. I would say the top three are locks for the 5, which leaves 7 teams in contention for making the finals.
KSC - 20
Barn - 20
Mitta - 16
Wah - 12
Chilt - 8
Thur - 8
DMB - 8
Beech - 8
Ruth - 8
Saints - 8
Yack - 4
Tall - 4

The critical games:
Kiewa vs Barn. This one might go a long way towards deciding who gets top spot at the end of the year with both teams not likely to lose many along the way. Kiewa should win this one I think.
Mitta vs Wah. If Mitta wins it puts two games between the top three and the rest of the ladder, and in all likelihood, it will remain that way should they win, which I expect they will, albiet closely.
Chilt - DMB. massive game for both clubs, the winner giving themselves a massive chance at finals, the loser back with the pack again. Chiltern to win.
Ruth vs Beech. Another two clubs on the same amount of points. Rutherglen struggling despite some good early games. Need to hit back here to have any chance, and will.
Saints vs Thur. A mismatch on paper, but the dogs will take this one lightly at their peril. Have Kiewa coming up in the next few weeks so need to win these games, and should comfortably.
Yack vs Tall. This game could well decide the wooden spoon. Tallangatta to win.

If all the above comes to fruition the ladder a third of the way through the season would be;
Kiewa - 24
Barn - 20
Mitta - 20
Wah - 12
Chilt - 12
Thur - 12
Ruth - 12
DMB - 8
Beech - 8
Saints - 8
Tall - 8
Yack - 4

Haven't heard a peep about the interleague squad yet. It is next week isn't it? Makes it hard for guys to commit since it would give the guys who play NO weeks off from the start of the season (except easter) and the end of the year. Ridiculous.

Can anyone back up that Thurgoona do spend massive money, have heard they open up their books at their AGM, and heard it not as much as everyone thinks.
have also heard that the spend is not as great as one would think. have it on pretty good authority that fowler for a start is playing for bugger all. maybe it's the close proximity to central albury and a well run club that is the drawcard

have also heard that the spend is not as great as one would think. have it on pretty good authority that fowler for a start is playing for bugger all. maybe it's the close proximity to central albury and a well run club that is the drawcard
Relative to other clubs in the league they would still be in the top bracket. I think as a whole, Tallangatta league clubs pay less than, say an average Hume league club. All speculation though, i wouldn't know for sure.

What is going on with the TDFL website. Tried to go to it to find out Interleague details, training venues etc and only got redirection to aflneb website. That website when I clicked on TDFL only took me back to where I started, a page redirecting me to aflneb........??

Tips this week
Chiltern by 5gls
KSC by 9gls
Mitta by 21pts
Wahgunyah by 27pts
Thurgoona by 32pts
Saints by 14pts

Nice picture in the paper today. Is that what they call a smother in the Tallangatta League ?

Dederang gone . Hopefully they can see money doesn't buy flags. Bradshaw's to finish up after this season is the word. I'll let you pick which one. There only hope is Adam Cole playing. Was a gun at Raiders and Benalla many years ago .
Barny V Mitta GF who wants to call it now ? Maybe Kiewa will upset a few. They have snuck under the radar a bit with The Turner boys.
What's happened to Cook from Barny ? Is he still injuried or can't get a game.
The sad tale is Yack . Spent a bit of coin but haven't had much luck.

Dederang gone . Hopefully they can see money doesn't buy flags. Bradshaw's to finish up after this season is the word. I'll let you pick which one. There only hope is Adam Cole playing. Was a gun at Raiders and Benalla many years ago .
Barny V Mitta GF who wants to call it now ? Maybe Kiewa will upset a few. They have snuck under the radar a bit with The Turner boys.
What's happened to Cook from Barny ? Is he still injuried or can't get a game.
The sad tale is Yack . Spent a bit of coin but haven't had much luck.

Kiewa are flying. Yack would be disappointed. Cook retired after last season but returned to the scooby's a few weeks ago. Mitta and kiewa for mine. With Barny breathing down their neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back