Traded Blake Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to note that in the write-up on everyone who played in the VFL on the weekend, Paul Hudson I think it was said that Blake is working on his disposal, so that was interesting. There were some varied reports last year on what his kicking was like with one at least talking about how he hardly missed a target all year, to others who thought it was nothing special at all, so if it is closer to the latter he may be more like say Farren Ray in that regard than some/all of us were hoping for.

Going at 66% efficiency by foot in his 2 senior games.

Was told in NZ that Acres and Pendlebury are extremely similar in the way they move and play. The follow up comment was that if he could kick like Pendles he would have been pick 1 in the draft.

No pressure on the kid then!

Think he also slid due to dislocating his shoulder and missing a fair bit of footy. Teams can place a lot of stock in the U/18 carnival, known as Watts Syndrome...

No rush let the kid settle in the VFL and play some consistent footy. The last team we need him to debut against is Hawthorn - I would rather have the big body of Weller debuting if there was a choice.

Last of the Fab 4 to debut. :)

Offers up something different to the other 3, I reckon we get him cherry ripe in the VFL, ready to play the second half of the year.

Don't forget Mav as well, I know he's not a youngen like the other 4 but I think he should be included because at this stage it looks like every pick of ours in that draft was gold.

Last of the Fab 4 to debut. :)

Offers up something different to the other 3, I reckon we get him cherry ripe in the VFL, ready to play the second half of the year.

So, Billings is probably the stretchy one, Dunstan is the one that's made of rock, Temps was the one that was on fire and flair... so Acres is the good-looking one we can't see?

So, Billings is probably the stretchy one, Dunstan is the one that's made of rock, Temps was the one that was on fire and flair... so Acres is the good-looking one we can't see?
That's the Fantastic Four, Fab 4 is the Beatles :p

(yes, I'm being a pedant but I can't let that one go)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck Blake...I'm looking forward to seeing how you go. Hopefully you get a similar start to some of our other gun recruits like Eli and Dunstan.

Couple of instances where he knew he was under pressure so gave instantly. Not all players have that awareness. Backs up that quote by Paul Hudson about his game awareness.

dOE
was pretty good on a very bad day. has to stay in for me. think he'll settle nicely

I'm not so sure about "pretty" good, he was given a fair amount of freedom as were most of our players and that was just because the Hawks players could afford to as our players were all garden gnomes. Acres next senior game may give a better indication of what he's got at AFL level.

Have a look at Blake's first year at St Kilda: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-14/2013-draft-rewind-blake-acres

_W3_5805portrait.jpg

BLAKE Acres' mental approach to AFL football has changed dramatically in the space of 12 months.

A talented but injury prone teenager, Acres was selected with pick 19 in the 2013 National Draft, one spot behind close friend Luke Dunstan.

While he managed to play three senior games in 2014, including a humbling debut against Hawthorn in round seven, the boy from the West spent much of the season on the sidelines.

Having just turned 19, Acres was the baby of the list last season – two months younger than Jack Billings and Eli Templeton, and nine months Dunstan’s junior.

Acres recently signed a four year contract, meaning he has plenty of time to hone his craft and develop into the running, jumping, damaging player many believe he can be.

But he’s not interested in biding his time in the VFL despite the cushioning a contract of that length invariably provides, rather Acres has aspirations to play for St Kilda in round one against GWS.

“I see myself as being at the Saints for a long time, regardless of what deal I signed,” he says.

“I could have signed a two year contract but I plan to still work my bum off and approach every year like it’s my contract year. I’ll just work my butt off to get better.

“I’m really looking forward to being fit and healthy heading into the NAB Challenge and into the home and away season… The aim is to play round one.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back