Make Your Case For BBL Expansion Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Name: Gold Coast Pacers
Colours: Yellow (dominant), Red (Secondary)
Stadium: Metricon Stadium
Capacity: 25,000
Orientation: North-South
Lights: Yes
Drop-in Pitch: Yes

fnxUXK5.gif

Pros
  • Stadium is not required for anything through December-January.
  • Ideal capacity for a BBL team.
Cons
  • Big Screen will need to be blacked out every second over as it is located at the north end.
  • Poor public transport to the stadium.

Bring in some New Zealand teams I reckon.

Not enough domestic talent. See Sydney Thunder.

We'd have to increase the number of foreign plays per team.

That said I'd only look at Canberra, Geelong, Gold Coast or Newcastle.
Maybe 2 at once in about 8 years.

Agreed not enough domestic talent to have any other teams

Any attempt to introduce new franchises this early would end up with the same results as the A League.

If they're that desperate to exploit new markets (which they aren't, really), they should move the Thunder to Canberra and the Renegades to Geelong. Would give both a more solid support base and remove the stigma of them being second class teams to the Sixers and Stars.

Any attempt to introduce new franchises this early would end up with the same results as the A League.

Definitely agree, the competition only really properly found its feet last season for me. Give it a few more years to allow support to grow.

GC would be a prime candidate if they did decide to expand down the line though, OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they're that desperate to exploit new markets (which they aren't, really), they should move the Thunder to Canberra and the Renegades to Geelong. Would give both a more solid support base and remove the stigma of them being second class teams to the Sixers and Stars.

I'd go with Western Sydney Thunder over Canberra if we're looking at potential. Literally everything to do with the club is out West, a lot of the players advocate cricket in the region, a lot are from there and Waugh seems only market it there. Why bother with the Sydney connotation? There's a lot of pride in the West, considering it's a whole lot different to the East.

Renegades is tough. Etihad will want the games but the Stars pretty much take the majority of fans (at least Thunder has some backing over the Sixers).

Personally I'd prefer Northern NSW instead of the NT. Got plenty of talent over there.
The best one would be ACT tbh, they can recruit the talent from northern NSW

Nt isnt feasible. add the act, to make it two teams added since 1950.

now with the FL, there's clearly not enough 2nd xi games at present, but given the reliance on amateur players to fill the numbers, an expended FL might not be feasible. so you could perhaps introduce special matches that are not one state against another, but more Australia A/Chairman's XI sorta stuff: a combined nsw/act/qld team v vic/tas, for example. it gets the 2nd xi guys in those states playing a bit more 2nd XI-esque cricket. it's better than nothing

I'd like to see 10 teams in the future around 5 years from now and then 12 another decade or so after that.

Gold Coast- Could play out of Metricon Stadium which will be upgraded for the Commonwealth games, It's already a massive tourist destination in the summer and would create a rivalry with Brisbane, also Suns and Titans fans would most likely get behind it.

Geelong- Instant Melbourne Gellong rivalry. kardinia park has fantastic facilities with more upgrades on the way, there's a big enough population and locals would get behind it the same way they back the Cats.

Canberra would be next of the rank playing out of Manuka Oval with either:

Perth 2 (would play out of the new stadium or the WACA)
Newcastle (has the population but do they even have an oval Stadium big enough)
Far North Queensland (Townsville has the population, Cairns has beter facilities at Cazaly's Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back