What are the one percenters?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear them talk about this on football shows all the time but don't quite understand what is meant by when they talk about players who do 'the one percenters'

In other words.....All the things you do when you dont have the footy in your possession.........the things most footballers forget

The small things that make an impact. Like spoils, smothers, shepherds etc.
Yes . I know a player many years ago playing amatuers was given best on the ground for our club, he had one kick, he did all those things smothering and following a very highly rated opponent around all day, he spoiled marks he stayed pace with him all day , he helped win the game.
His whole game was 1%percenters. The coach had instructed him before the match and praised him in front of the team and supporters.
And no he was no Crowley, he was fair and square. Became a copper too.

One percenters are stats that indicate the work a player is doing that is not recognised by the most common metrics.

Spoils are probably the most common 1% for a defender, then there are shepherds, chases, unrewarded efforts (like a lead that is ignored), bumps, corralling a player, knocking the ball to advantage, intercepts, smothers and blocks.

I'm sure there are plenty more that others can add

One percenters are stats that indicate the work a player is doing that is not recognised by the most common metrics.

Spoils are probably the most common 1% for a defender, then there are shepherds, chases, unrewarded efforts (like a lead that is ignored), bumps, corralling a player, knocking the ball to advantage, intercepts, smothers and blocks.

I'm sure there are plenty more that others can add
Good description.

Being Byron Pickett near a clearance was a permanent 1%'er, for example.

Daniel Chick in the last quarter of the 2006 GF is a classic example. Many defenders and taggers that negate their opponent's influence also have a toolbox of subtle one percenters for any given scenario.

Darren Milburn knocking out SOS was one of the biggest one percenters of all time, completely changed the entire season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be sad?

This was posted pre-game, so I was being arrogant.

Crowls tags within the rules, there is a number of other taggers who do not. I watch him live every 2nd week, if he was grabbing & scragging - I'd just ignore this stuff.

You however are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong or misguided it is.

This was posted pre-game, so I was being arrogant.

Crowls tags within the rules, there is a number of other taggers who do not. I watch him live every 2nd week, if he was grabbing & scragging - I'd just ignore this stuff.

You however are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong or misguided it is.
OK.

I hear them talk about this on football shows all the time but don't quite understand what is meant by when they talk about players who do 'the one percenters'
Adzam, if you want the Australian rules football exact meaning of the word "one percenters" Watch Cyril Rioli play his role in the 2014 Grand Final win against Sydney , for Hawthorn.
THAT IS WHAT ONE PERCENTERS ARE MATE. They create goals and win games. He's a true champion .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back